Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conner Ave closing

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jul 12, 2017.

1. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I thought I heard head restraint airbags was a problem that was only solved with a redesign plus the aforementioned V-10 emissions.

2. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

So why not keep the viper but put in the new demon engine. GM has the corvette. Ford the Mustang and now FCA has nothing oh a Italian redesign . This the problem I have with them everything is going to Italian and losing American. Just my opinion and some will not agree with it. Before long all of their cars will be Italian. Like I said it is not the big 3 but the big 2.

Donte Lindsey, somber and Ian like this.
  3. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

The Hemi won't fit, it's too wide.

This generation of Viper was going to end at some point just like any other vehicle. FCA has made the decision that they won't design and build a new V-10 because of the challenges to get one to meet emissions and the fact that it would be a single vehicle application. It's just too darn expensive to justify. So you can have a Viper replacement but scratch the V-10. I believe owners groups have said the V-10 is necessary for a vehicle to be a true Viper. The logic follows if there's no V-10 then there's no Viper, so instead of pushing a totally unique vehicle platform for a (non)Viper, just work with something that would share with Alfa or Maserati (or both).

freshforged likes this.
  4. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Giant i6 turbo.. jk

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. wtxiceman

Level III Supporter

Yes 8.0 liter 32 valve:p

suzq044 and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

My advise is to go to velocity and watch what engines can be put in cars. If they can do it I am sure FCA could do it also. So the statement it is to wide does not stand up.

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

I doubt it would be.

Max Wedge likes this.
  8. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

I have also heard that the Viper's V10 is lighter than any comparable HEMI engine. I don't know the specs so I can't back that up.

It's a sad day though. I was really hoping that some cool low-volume, handbuilt car was going to be made and would keep the factory running. My dream car is still an emerald green/tan interior 1994-5 Viper RT/10...

9. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

To me, the flagship is the one that defines the brand, or what the brand is historically known for. My view is that the Chrysler 300 is the flagship for FCA (despite the F being first). GM's flagship would be the Impala. Cars like the Corvette and Viper are niche vehicles that enhance the reputation of the brand overall.

10. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

As a "flagship", Viper has taken second-place to the Hellcats lately, and you could argue that the Challenger has been Dodge's "Flagship" model since its launch. Looking at this from outside the USA, Challenger is a much more distinctive car than Viper: swap the badges, and Viper could be any one of a number of other GT racing cars; but Challenger is unmistakable.

I would also blame the decline in "track-day" motorsport as a leisure activity. Viper is focussed on racing, but the number of people who can afford (or would want) a dedicated racing car has fallen dramatically in the last decade.

ScramFan likes this.
  11. Jim Georgia

Jim Georgia Member

Its sad news for me personally. I've been an avid fan of this car since inception and have tracked its comings and goings through the years. I have yet to own one, but I continue to save in the hopes of owning a Viper before I die. The essence of the Viper was to be a reinterpretation of the Shelby Cobra. A different motor can meet the requirements of that original plan. To the "insiders", are there plans for a new Viper? Any info would be appreciated .

somber and jerseyjoe like this.
  12. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Please put me on the sadness lest and mark me down as a customer who does not get listened to.

13. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Actually, the statement does stand up because Velocity TV shows do not follow SAE standards when they install a GM LS crate engines in to random “custom” vehicle. They also do not have to crash test or (in most cases) emissions test the the vehicle to have it certified for sale on roads in the US. TV shows involving custom vehicles often ignore FMVSS and the operation of those vehicles on public roads can be considered legally questionable.

The bottom line is this, the third gen Hemi is simply too wide for the shock towers and too tall for the hood and cowl, especially in the supercharged configuration, to be installed in the Viper while still meeting all SAE standards. Additionally, the 8 speed automatic will not fit in the transmission tunnel. Further, there is no mass produced aluminum version of the third gen Hemi to compare directly to the all aluminum V10 which means using the third gen Hemi would result in a dynamic loading change to the Viper that could require different suspension tuning and chassis strengthening.

Not following SAE standards and/or FMVSS could result in potential failures in dynamically loaded members within the vehicle unit body, poor reliability, and potentially devesating crash test results.

FCA is liable for thousands of Viper’s produced... unlike the one off vehicles produced on TV shows. The idea of swapping the third gen Hemi into a Viper is not a simple or effective solution for the problem at hand.

Mike

#33 Mike V., Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    bluskye, link3721, tlc and 2 others like this.
  14. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Viper ending production has nothing to do with customer’s “not getting listened to”.

Mike

GasAxe and Prabhjot like this.
  15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

What is there that hasn't been listened to? Maybe one thing... no roadster for GEN V... but Prefix had owners covered with the Medusa.

cache.jpg

freshforged and MPE426HEMI like this.
  16. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Yes, and the Medusa was blessed by FCA. Had the Viper not been planned to end production and had better sales volume maybe FCA could have justified the cost of mass production.

Mike

17. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

SMH. This is akin to saying the local chop shop can give me a zebra stripped and pink polka dot Charger with a Chevy 350 in it so why can't FCA sell me one at the dealer?

DarkSky and Mike V. like this.
  18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Yep, I was at Prefix for the launch of Medusa during the Viper Owners Invitational... many of the FCA team were there. In my opinion Prefix did two of the best Vipers ever made with the Medusa and the Targa.

1405971519_srt-viper-convertible.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

humdrum, UN4GTBL and Mike V. like this.
  19. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Agreed 100%

Mike

20. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

You do realize, Prefix is closely linked to FCA? They do some concept building for Ford (like the Lincoln Navigator and Continental Concepts), however they build the Minotaur pickup, paint all body panels for the Viper, as well as build prototype parts for FCA US, build concept cars for FCA US, and engineering task along with FCA US. So I think Prefix is more than a local chop shop. They also own Arrow Racing Engines which does huge testing and engine work for FCA as well as one of the biggest Viper performance engine builders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Matte Blue for the 300 Super S Concept was done by Prefix.

[​IMG]
    Chrysler Portal Concept was built by Prefix.

[​IMG]
    Here is work being do the 2013 SRT Viper GTS show car.

MPE426HEMI and UN4GTBL like this.