Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conner Ave closing

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jul 12, 2017.

1. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Two problems:
    1) Things really were much simpler then, especially from a regulatory standpoint.
    2) Chrysler of old could be a risk taker. FCA isn't and prefers to follow the lead of others.

2. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Hows following doing for FCA? 200? Like world needs Hyundai knockoffs. Do budget Merceded look alikes, here in the US at least.

#62 jerseyjoe, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Yes GM has the corvette, but you can't put the Mustang in that bucket... that is answered by the Challenger. I applaud the patriotism, but don't let it become blind nationalism for no good reason...

4. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If only it was as simple as you are making it out to be.

Mike

5. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Unfortunately some people don’t see that.

Mike

6. jerseyjoe

At this point the discussion is useless, I have made my position clear.

geraldg likes this.
  7. jerseyjoe

FCA had Dart and 200, misshandled both.

UN4GTBL and geraldg like this.
  8. Jim Georgia

Jim Georgia Member

The Question is what is the THIRD THING?

9. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I always thought the Viper was considered a halo vehicle but I never saw it in any of their advertisements. The problem is all the money is going over to the Italian brand dare a American brand compete with Maserati and the other ones. I call them like I see them. You may agree or disagree that is my opinion. As was said here by other people they are putting all their eggs in one basket and better hope the bottom doesn't fall out. You may criticize Daimler but they gave us the 300. I have been around Chrysler longer than most of you have lived and shake my head at what has happened to it. Maybe change the Viper but keep the name. I had a friend that had a 70 dodge charger and made it into a Daytona 500 with a viper V10 and with all the engineers you have at FCA they should be able to come up with something. As was said Chrysler was the company that was the leader and now is the follower. They can build the Demon and Hellcat but can't build the 200 and Dart.????

10. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Viper has been featured in all Dodge advertisements for decades. The current television ad campaign includes the Viper in most of the commercials.

Again, the third gen Hemi is too wide for the shock towers and too tall to fit under the hood and cowl of the Viper. Your friend’s custom installation of a V10 in a B Body is meaningless to the conversation because he did not follow required SAE standards, EPA standards, or FMVSS that an auto manufacturer is required to follow.

The reasons why the 200 and Dart production ended has been discussed and explained many times over. The plants those vehicles were built at are being utilized for more profitable product. There is no need to continue to beat the dead horse in this thread.

Mike

#70 Mike V., Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    GasAxe, bluskye, tlc and 2 others like this.
  11. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Unfortunately your position does not consider the manufacturing requirements.

Im sorry but it is what it is.

Mike

DAGAR likes this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

You may think shoving a Hemi into a Viper is a great idea until you:

1) Realize you can't see over the hood
    2) Have an engine shoved into your lap in a 15 mph collision.
    3) Try to build ten of them a day

Yup... (apparently the PT Cruiser engineers didn’t either! ;) )

13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note how the 6.1L HEMI powered Chrysler Firepower (with a ZB chassis underneath) proportions are. The hood height is much taller than the stock 2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe (ZB) underneath. They also pushed the cabin of the Firepower further back on the ZB platform than the stock SRT-10 Coupe. Lots of modifications went into making the HEMI sit low.

and @Dave Z with a big enough shoe horn you can put a 5.7L HEMI into a PT Cruiser! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or a Viper motor in one! lol

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. jerseyjoe

I sure picked a bad time to stop smoking. :D

suzq044 likes this.
  15. Please don't remind me of the Chrysler Firepower -- that one still stings..... That car should have been built. Even with the larger hood height needed for the V8, that car is absolutely beautiful -- and it still puzzles me that the Crossfire (a weaker concept car IMO) got the green light while the Firepower didn't (which would have been probably been easier to manufacture versus Crossfires by re-using Conner's old Prowler assembly line).

Americans want V8 coupes -- the V6 Crossfire was destined to be a slow seller, but I'm pretty confident the V8 Firepower would have been far more successful.

jerseyjoe and Dave Z like this.
  16. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

17. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Then make the Firepower the new Viper.

18. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I still do.

19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

73PD... I am not surprised. The Firepower was a great idea but Daimler wanted a new type of Chrysler image — that is, as a second-hand Mercedes. The Crossfire probably got them royalties and consulting fees from the US side, and put Chrysler in its place — well below Mercedes. Oops on SRT for making it a better car than the Mercedes...

The Firepower and Crossfire are in different classes, but I suspect it would have made a small profit.

20. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Firepower was aimed higher in the market than Daimler wanted them to go. It would have created competition for them and they could not take the chance that the "stupid American engineers" could develop a vehicle that was superior to any comprable Mercedes costing 2-3 times as much.

So , Daimler saddled them with the Crossfire

jerseyjoe likes this.
  21. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Am I wrong or Dodge Viper will be out of production because "ejection mitigation" rules that will be effective next september or october?
    Same reason why also Alfa Romeo 4C coupé will not, very likely, imported in U.S.A. next year.