AF: Considering a 2012 Patriot Sport with 2.4 engine, 98,000 miles | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a 2012 Patriot Sport with 2.4 engine, 98,000 miles

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by TommyDodge, Mar 11, 2020.

1. TommyDodge

TommyDodge Well-Known Member

My lady friend Linda is considering buying a 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport with the 2.4 engine and automatic transmission with a little over 98,000 miles on it. The owner is asking 7 grand and it seems to me that it is a good buy. I would like your thoughts on this vehicle, pros cons etc. I have never had a Jeep before so I know nothing about them. Thanks in advance for your input! TommyDodge

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

In model year 2012 the automatic transmission used was a CVT / continuously variable transmission. These are NOT the most reliable transmission and if anyone one component fails you have to replace the entire transmission; no repairs or rebuilding available. At $7000 the seller wants high end retail. Great if you can get it but seems a little overpriced. Check NADA guides or kbb.com for used car values in your area.

At 8 years old you has all the routine maintenance been performed? Neglected cooling systems with corrosion? Corrosion in brake system components? Engine oil changed regularly? There should be other suitable vehicles in this price range that are more reliable.

link3721 and Doug D like this.
  3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Past history is everything with any 8 year-old used car. I feel that the CVT2 is reliable enough. I've owned a couple. There are 2 filters and use CVTF+4 only.
    For the asking price, it should have been treated as a member of the family. Drive it. Note any noises, vibrations or odors, etc as you would with any used car evaluation.
    Look it over. Doors, fenders, hood and grille line up OK? Everything works? Did the owner care about appearance and upkeep?

P.S. - Like the CVT2, I don't believe that the Hyundai-sourced 6-speed transaxle is really serviceable either. The filter is behind the bellhousing and is replaced by removing the transaxle from the engine.

Dave Z, TommyDodge, AllanC and 2 others like this.
  4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

KBB shows a private party value of $6,315-$8,518 for a Patriot with a Latitude trim (the OP post didn't mention) in "good" condition. If it's really, really clean it may be a good price. Having access to its service record would be helpful. Is it well taken care of? All maintenance done in a timely manner?

TommyDodge likes this.
  5. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

I've got 127000 miles on my 09 Limited with the CVT (with some off-road abuse as well). As long as it's had the transmission filters and fluid replaced I wouldn't be terribly worried about the CVT. Due to my use I've been doing the transmission service every 50k miles, but I'd recommend 100k for typical usage.

TommyDodge and ImperialCrown like this.
  6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I agree with I C assessment of the 6 speed Hyundai designed transaxle used in various Chrysler vehicles such as the Dodge Dart and Jeep Patriot. My research on changing transaxle fluid let me to documentation for the 6F24 transaxle which is the design used by Chrysler. You do a major transaxle disassembly to access the filter. At least the transaxle has a very conveniently accessible drain plug on the underneath side for removing fluid.

TommyDodge likes this.
  7. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

The suspension on these vehicles is a very common trouble point. Squeak, creaks, groans, and rattles usually increase with age and are sometimes difficult to pinpoint. The brakes on my 2013 wore okay but they were rather weak for stopping.

TommyDodge likes this.
  8. TommyDodge

This vehicle was owned by a family member of my lady friend, and having driven the vehicle it is in super clean shape, and has been regularly serviced by the owners who bought it in 2015. The service record came back clean with no wrecks and no rust or corrosion as it was garage kept. It is the first Jeep I ever drove and am looking forward to driving it from time to time because of The 23 year old Dodge Ram being thirsty with a 318 V8. Thanks for your input everyone much appreciated! TommyDodge.

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

You can usually tell if the vehicle has been loved and cared for (like a cherished pet). This sounds like one of them. :)
    My wife likes her '16 Patriot driving in the snow and ice. The '11 Liberty was nice, but somewhat thirsty.

TommyDodge, GLHS60 and Dave Z like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I liked the Patriot more than any of the other triplets. I agree that there are weak points which will be showing up by now...

Citation84 and TommyDodge like this.
  11. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

My only experience was with my son's '12 Sport. He bought it new and it has been very reliable except for the driver side rear window motor. When a front passenger side CV boot started leaking and throwing grease I told him that I would put a new axle in it for him. It was a trial by fire to find that axle shaft as the listings at all the local auto parts stores were wrong. I bought and returned the wrong part twice. Eventually, I confirmed the correct Mopar part number through Steve White parts Nd was able to finally get the correct shaft from Autozone using the Mopar number as a cross reference. Even Steve White parts showed the wrong part on their website. Then, I found the splines rust locked into the hub. I had to use so much force to separate them that I no longer trusted the hub or bearing so I wound up buying a new Mopar knuckle/bearing/hub assembly. What a huge PITA. My first clue should have been when I saw that the threads on the end of the axle had rusted away.

TommyDodge likes this.
  12. TommyDodge

My lady friend bought the Patriot yesterday. I am looking forward to driving it on occasion. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and advice. Having owned a Caliber from 2006-2010, I appreciate the better quality in this model, and appreciate that this vehicle was not built by Daimler as the Caliber was. It was the worst of all the Dodges I have owned, and the only one I truly did not like at all. It was totaled in a crash on March 10, 2010. TommyDodge