AF: Consumer Reports Picks Chrysler 300 over Lexus LS | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consumer Reports Picks Chrysler 300 over Lexus LS

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by HoboChangba, Jul 9, 2020.

1. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

You can replace Chrysler 300 with any other car in the world and it would be a true statement for someone out there

2. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I gotta say one of the most reliable and comfortable cars I have own now is my 2009 Dodge Challenger. Even with the slush box automatic I would rather drive it than our semi loaded 300S. More quiet inside and very road worthy. Have allways gotten lots of complements on its looks till the rusty rear quarters are spotted. Dosen't bother me much even after two repairs, never driven in snow or on salty roads, 300 does that. Outside of the not so stellar Interriors I preferr Daimler cars durability. Miss my purchased new 1998 Neon R/T, road noise abundenent but never a ratte in the 11 years I owned it. Only malfunction was the sunoof had to be coaxed shut but I preferred it closed anyway. Never turned on the radio cause driveing it was all the car was about. Before that car I had a 1983 Charger, flexible flyer, bady was part of the suspension but every car fan that road with was amazed by the performsnce and handeling. The car before that was a 1968 Newport Boat that swllowed passengers and gear, should still make them, SUV not apply except in snow, but I was accoustomed to MOPAR roadmosters. 21 mpg 383 2bbl with a joe tune, till gas formula was changed.
    So here I am hoping I come aeoss a 2000 Jeep GC with inline 6 with the magic awd of the time.

3. eastcoaster

eastcoaster Well-Known Member

I looked at the G70 last year. It's not a bad car, but its interior really varied. I was looking for a manual transmissioned-car, which are the lower end models (to Genesis' credit, at least they HAVE a manual!). The interior on the lower end ones is NOT a luxury interior...the 300's interior is fantastic in comparison. The Mustang I did buy had ultimately a much nicer interior, and that's despite it definitely not a being a luxury car, either.

The upper G70 models were much nicer inside, but I think they were only comparable to a nice 300. Maybe the G80 and G90 are much nicer than the G70, but I have no idea why Genesis would even offer any low-rent interior on a "luxury" brand (although admittedly, I can't imagine many G70 buyers would cross-shop a 300, or vice versa. I only know both because this time I was interested in a small, sporty manual, and I separately love and often prefer Mopars).

I also didn't particularly appreciate the standard-Hyundai sales approach (I tested the G70 at two "Genesis" (really Hyundai dealers). Not better than FCA's in my mind. Neither Hyundai's nor FCA's sales standards are high enough, in my opinion, especially for brands selling "luxury" or near-"luxury." This wasn't the reason I didn't buy a G70, but I can see why many Lexus buyers prefer their sales experience. I cared only about the car, but anyone wanting their ego stroked wasn't going to find it where I looked. And unlike the interiors, I can't see how that's better on a G80 and G90. They may technically be a separate brand from Hyundai, but it's hard to see that at the dealers (at least at both of the ones I was at).

So, I don't think it's surprising at all that Genesis isn't selling well...but the 300 would do great if they could only fully update it, and support it with marketing....

somber, Donte Lindsey and HoboChangba like this.
  4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Genesis stuffed the market with product in their first year, probably to make sure someone in Seoul got their bonus (no new brand sells 1600 units a month, every single month for exactly twelve months, then falls to under 500 a month thereafter). The result of that short term thinking now is truly lousy residuals, which will damage the brand's ability to charge a premium.

Genesis very obviously used Lexus as a model, but it seems they didn't follow the things that made Lexus successful in the US. A Lexus might be as interesting as a waiting-room to be in, but they usually hold their value, and the dealerships provide a level of service you'd find in a five-star hotel.

5. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

300 kissed all chances of resale and residuals when they decided to make it competitive with midsized cars and put 8k on the hood....:rolleyes: FTR I am not a 300 hater I have owned 2.

6. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

The thing about Hyundai/Kia is their can-do approach to engineering and long term growth.
    Every generation is demonstrably better than the previous one, they fix errors and don't just "create" a new model instead, and they pick great companies to emulate; aka, the old Chrysler Corporation.
    The differences from the first true Genesis' models, G-70-80-90, and the current ones are very noticeable and the cars are much improved. Anecdotally, here in Canada, every Genesis owner I have spoken with has raved about their excellent customer service, right down to another Genesis 'loaner', and a complimentary exterior and interior clean at every service call.
    Certainly no CDJR dealers in my memory do that.

gforce2002 and aldo90731 like this.
  7. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

You guys that like that Genesis styling can keep it. Looks like a car filled with all the tacky, stick-on accessories from eBay or the auto parts store. That sort of design language does not belong anywhere near a real luxury car.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys who like the Genesis think this house looks good too?

[​IMG]

8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Nothing in the Genesis looks like stick on? Everything in their car is all integrated. If you think the genesis is all stuck on then that must mean you think the 300 interior comes right from a matchbox car right?

9. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

That in my opinion is tacky........(looks like Trumps penthouse......)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MSwenning

MSwenning Active Member

The interior pics of the Genesis definitely looks high quality and very luxurious, just for my taste, i do not like the design (basically just the dash) I prefer the design of Mopars, though the quality on the Mopars doesn't appear to be quite as high.

JA Cumbo and UN4GTBL like this.
  11. hmk123

Level III Supporter

What is the availability situation of Genesis now? Within 100 miles of my location in the SF Bay Area I find only 25 cars (G70 and G80). We know dealers don't stock many Chrysler 300s yet I found 19 around here.

And to me the G90 seems to go after cars like the BMW 7 series or Lexus LS and not so much after the 300. G90 starts at $72k, the 740i at $86k and the LS at $75k.

12. Suhail

Suhail Member

Although I love the 300, and I own one, but also I owned Back in the day a Lexus LS430, I can say the 2011-2020 Chrysler 300 is very similar to the LS430, the LS460 is a little bit different from the LS430.

do I prefer the 300 on the LS? The 300 is a very smooth sedan like the LS, but I felt the LS is more powerful (I mean the LS460 not LS430 here)
    The LS460 is a great sedan but not much different than the LS430.

the 2011 Chrysler 300C in the same level with the LS430 I can confirm that.

somber and HoboChangba like this.
  13. Suhail

Suhail Member

As a lover of Chrysler 300, and a Chrysler Group. WHAT THE 300 NEEDS?

1: a fresh exterior design, something different, remember in 2003 when the 300 comes out? Nothing like on the market! This is how 300 should be. Nowadays everyone get a big grill, even the sonata and Avalon!
    So the 300 should be different, WhY nOt LikE tHe 1957 300C? Or maybe Chrysler Chronos concept.

2: NEVER go to the Front wheel Drive! We tried FWD in the 300M, and NO, never do it again.
    3: should have more legroom, more opened windows, more luxury and power.
    4: should get the V8, or V6 twin turbo.

Finally,, The 2014-2017 S class S550/S63 and 2006 300C SRT8, those two cars should be the target and the concept for the next generation Chrysler 300. If I was in charge.

14. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

I think if you keep the 300 you have to keep it as a luxurious RWD sedan. I know Chrysler isn't supposed to be luxury. If you want luxury you should buy a Maserati, but Maserati doesn't really compete with brands like MB, BMW, or Lexus. You could very much move Chrysler upscale without competing with Maserati. Rebrand the Voyager as a Grand Caravan, and carry on with a refreshed 300 and the Pacifica. An interior refresh and some mild nips and tucks on the outside are all this vehicle really needs to stay fresh. The exterior is beautiful and I'm not sure how much you want to change those dimensions. Give it a new front fascia, maybe update the rear (although I love the rear as it is), and you can keep selling this thing until they make it illegal.

jimboy, somber, butJohnDoe and 3 others like this.
  15. hmk123

Level III Supporter

16. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Well-Known Member

17. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Not as big as it appears. As CDJSalesPro alludes to, the sale price on these is low enough after discounts and money on the hood that the new cars are listing for $50k but going for close to $40k, so the net loss at trade isn't $25k, but more like $15k, which is not out of line for what should be a premium car.

HoboChangba and Ryan like this.
  18. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Very true! But that's why I am on a Mopar site. :) Wonder myself how far I would go with that. Glad though the vehicles have come a long way since the K-car days...

BASONE88 likes this.
  19. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Still sounds like a pretty hefty hit to me, but I guess that is why I end up buying lightly used rather than new. ;)

jerseyjoe and Tony K like this.
  20. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

Just update the 300 I'll order one at release date. Throw in the 392 and we are friends again.

Donte Lindsey, Tony K and danbek like this.