AF: Control Arm | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Control Arm

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by dc8flyer, Mar 27, 2020.

1. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Well-Known Member

Bushings on one of the control arms (CA) is loose. I was told it would be best to replace the entire CA as the CA is loose.

Seems you could just replace the bushings and all would be fine but dont know for sure. Can the CA some how get worn to the point where replacing just the bushing would not work?

Thanks

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The only way the control arm would have to be replaced is if either the bushing hole or the ball joint hole is wallowed out.

However, a new control arm may be cheaper than you think, considering the parts and shop labor to replace the bushing in yours.

Doug D likes this.
  3. twankowski

twankowski Active Member

Agree with valiant67 100%. Had the same thought just yesterday with an '85 Reliant I'm nursing back to health. In my case, ball joints and bushings are tired. Even with Rock Auto's excellent prices (new ball joints between 5-10 bucks each and bushings between 2-10 bucks) and the fact they are fairly easy to change (with a portable ball joint press)...the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze to me. If you spend only 15 bucks per side, you'll spend an hour or so per control arm swapping parts, spraying a little touch-up paint, etc. For < 50 bucks each, you can get brand new arms, all clean and ready to go:

Standard suspension control arm.JPG

Note: The Mopar parts catalog lists two different (three if you count the limo) control arm setups: "Standard/Heavy Duty" and "Firm Feel, Extra H.D. & Special Sport Suspension." All the aftermarket control arms I've seen are for the former (standard) suspension.

Regardless of which option you select, you'll probably still want to replace the stub strut bushings (about 10 bucks for the set).

4. dc8flyer

The shop guy told me I would have to replace the control arm and could not change just the bushings. One of the bushings in the control arm could be changed but the other came with the arm and was not available separately.

5. twankowski

twankowski Active Member

Gotta disagree with the shop dude. I've done about a half-dozen of these over the years. There are three replaceable components on the arm: the front bushing, the ball joint, and the stub strut bushings. The first two can be pressed out with a portable ball joint press, and the stub strut bushing components (retainers, bushings, and sleeve) are fairly simple to install by hand with a little lube. He might mean the control arm bushings are obsolete and not easily obtained from the usual outlets like NAPA or Car Quest. Rock Auto has them for as low as $4.00 each (plus shipping, naturally).

upload_2020-3-29_12-36-24.png

All that said, I still agree with going with new arms as a time saver and extra piece of mind.

6. dc8flyer

Got the car back today. The one control arm bushing hole was worn/wallowed out so the need for a new CA.

I posted three pictures on the "March 2020 - 1988 Aries Station Wagon Listing." thread. The pics were the 1988's undercarriage. I took three pics of my undercarriage today and it has the same exact sloppy welds, Are these welds from the productions line? If so they are very sloppy.

Is there any history with the welds.

IMG_1394.JPG IMG_1395.JPG IMG_1396.JPG

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I’d say those welds look pretty typical for the time.

8. dc8flyer

Well, they lasted this long so I guess good enough.