AF: Convertible Top replacement - My Adventure | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convertible Top replacement - My Adventure

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by mjg0711, Jun 5, 2015.

1. mjg0711

mjg0711 Active Member

2. mjg0711

mjg0711 Active Member

3. mjg0711

mjg0711 Active Member

And now....the moment of truth!
    Chrysler top 042.jpg Chrysler top 043.jpg Chrysler top 044.jpg

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  4. george w

Level III Supporter

I'm watching your posts carefully and are very grateful that you're taking the time to take the pics and document your steps. I know that properly installing a convertible top and having it fit wrinkle free is a valuable skill and almost an art form. I give a lot of credit to those upholstery shop craftsman who do such high quality work. Kudo's to Shawn P. to look over your shoulder and to give you the benefit of his experience and advice. That's the sign of a craftsman that truly cares about his craft and always want to see something done right even if he's not doing it. I hope you compensate him handsomely for his time.

5. mjg0711

mjg0711 Active Member

Thanks George. I've got a gem in Shawn, don't I? Hey, is it "legal" for me to put up a plug for this talented young man?

Northwest Auto Interiors.jpg

6. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

If i take a video on my cellphone i can click a button on top and take a Screenshot of one frame. It might be easier to put it on video mode and then go back and find that spot you want to make a picture.
    Who ever did my top didnt fold the corner in up front correctly . They needed a how to like this.
    good job

7. mjg0711

mjg0711 Active Member

Thanks, neon.

8. mjg0711

mjg0711 Active Member

Here's a paradox. An "adventure" does not always end in "success". Or, an adventure always ends in success. Take your pick. "Success" can be defined as my doing this job, with my own skills, talents and tools, and having it come out beautifully. Or it can be defined as enjoying the work, enjoying the people I meet along the way, my gratitude for sharing our skills, and learning who's company I want to keep. It's never about "the car". IMHO it's always about "the journey".
    So, this weekend, I'll pay some more to Shawn Pumphrey to help me by finessing the wrinkles as seen above. Then, I'm going to finish up the assembly. It'll come out beautifully. Well worth the money, and having his hands aid my own.

More to come.. . . . ..

9. mjg0711

mjg0711 Active Member

Hi again. Well, I finished the top. And I didn't take it back to Shawn. He was too busy. So, I gathered up my guts, and looked carefully at the stress lines on the vinyl. Then, I guessed which direction I needed to go to adjust the placement of the vinyl. After FOUR times (!), I found that I only needed to move it about 1/2 inch in two directions. But the C-pillar needed adjustment also. I partly disassembled the top back strips and C-pillar strips, and pulled the staples. I re-set the staples according to my guesses, and IT WORKED!! Yeah. Pics to follow.

10. mjg0711

mjg0711 Active Member

My wife died in late November, 2015 after 4 years of congestive heart failure. This was her favorite car. It is now up for sale. I'm asking $4K. So ends my life with my Town and Country.

11. jjmeeker

jjmeeker Member

Very sorry to hear about your wife. I do want to thank you however for putting this guide together. It is going to be used to replace the top on a 1986 Dodge 600.

12. Hard Hat

Supporter

looks pretty good ! I have done 2 tops, one on my 94 LeBaron and 1 on my daughters 1999 Sebring...both had their challenges but over all not too bad!
    Very sorry to hear of your situation, hope this has worked itself out!