AF: Cork or Rubber Gasket for my transmission pan? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cork or Rubber Gasket for my transmission pan?

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Dartman, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Dartman

Dartman New Member

I'm going to change the transmission fluid on my 1974 Dodge Dart. It has a 318 motor and a automatic transmission. Should I use cork or rubber gasket when I put the transmission pan back on?

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Both work fine, cork is more stock looking, rubber came later.

3. stroudtom

Level 2 Supporter

Get the mopar rubber gasket with hard inserts around the fastener holes. Maybe the aftermarket has these but you won't crush the gasket when you torque those fasteners down.

4. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Make sure the pan is not pulled down at the mounting holes before you put it back on or neither gasket will seal.

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I think what 68RT is trying to say is, after the pan is taken off, make sure all the bolt holes in the stamped steel pan are flattened or even dimpled out. I always take some 600grit (or 400grit) wet/dry sandpaper and a flat piece of glass/block of some sort and do a light sand on the gasket side of the pan. Usually the bolt holes themselves are the shiny part, which is not good. So, with a piece of wood that will fit flat against the pan rail (there is a support lip there), I take a bolt that is one size larger than the bolt hole itself, and with a hammer, I place the bolt, place it in the bolt hole on the gasket side of the pan, and hit it a couple real good times and bend the hole outward, then I re-sand the edge to verify it is shiny more between the bolt holes. What happens is over time the bolts get tightened and the pan bends, then the gasket is not clamped equally and not enough pan rail presses the gasket at the rail and the gasket leaks.