AF: Coronavirus COVID-19 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coronavirus COVID-19

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by DC-93, Mar 8, 2020.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Every other forum I am on has a thread going....

Wash the hands. Keep them off your face. Avoid indoor crowds.

That's all I got...

Tony K likes this.
  2. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Agree.
    In all the hysteria this thing sounds a lot like the flu we deal with every year.
    What I hear through all the nonsense:
    Like the flu it effects the elderly and those with already weakened immune systems.
    Like the flu and cold it is contagious and can spread. Stay home from work people when you have a cold or flu!
    Like the flu and cold there is no cure. Just treatment as we do with flu and colds.
    Like the flu and cold people should be able to power through this.
    You guys in the office. Wash your dang hands!

wolfsblood07, DC-93 and Doug D like this.
  3. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

This entire subject is sure to start a lot of heated debates and arguments o_O:rolleyes::eek::p;):D:)

Is it maybe "fake news" and it's not really happening :rolleyes:

Maybe the "Elitist Society" want millions of people to die, to thin out the population ;)

Of course you can find just about anything online to support one theory or another, but I found this:

Experts Simulated a Coronavirus Pandemic Last Year and It Killed 65 Million (at https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/a-simulated-coronavirus-pandemic-in-2019-killed-65-million.html )

"Experts Simulated a Coronavirus Pandemic Last Year and It Killed 65 Million

Last October, two months before the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 emerged in central China, a group of public-health experts gathered in New York City for a simulation. Their objective was to determine how industry, national governments, and international institutions could work together to respond to a hypothetical “pandemic with potentially catastrophic consequences.”

Such a pandemic is no longer just a hypothetical. This week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it’s preparing for a coronavirus pandemic and the organization’s former director flatly declared that COVID-19 "will become a pandemic."

The characteristics of the virus currently causing global havoc are remarkably similar to the one proposed in the simulation, dubbed “Event 201.” The simulated virus, called CAPS for Coronavirus Associated Pulmonary Syndrome, began in Brazilian pigs who passed it to farmers. It resulted in symptoms ranging from mild flu-like symptoms to pneumonia. Three months in, the hypothetical illness had caused 30,000 illnesses and 2,000 deaths.

The fake news report that played at the beginning of the simulation looks like a nightly news report from today.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoLw-Q8X174

How did humankind fare in the simulation? Not well. The scenario ended after 18 months with 65 million people dead. The Event 201 website sums it up that state of the pandemic a year and a half in:

The pandemic is beginning to slow due to the decreasing number of susceptible people. The pandemic will continue at some rate until there is an effective vaccine or until 80–90% of the global population has been exposed. From that point on, it is likely to be an endemic childhood disease.

In the weeks after the emergence of the coronavirus in Wuhan, event organizers were forced to answer questions about whether they predicted the current pandemic, and contend with a few conspiracy theories

The exercise was not a prediction, organizers insist. “We are not now predicting that the nCoV-2019 outbreak will kill 65 million people,” the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security said in a statement. “Although our tabletop exercise included a mock novel coronavirus, the inputs we used for modeling the potential impact of that fictional virus are not similar to nCoV-2019.”

Rather than serving as a predictive tool, organizers say the simulation was more about identifying opportunities to improve the response to a potential pandemic. To that end, they produced seven recommendations “to diminish the potential impact and consequences of pandemics.”

The YouTube video on the exercise was posted 11/04/19, so it's not like someone has gone back in time and posted this info now in an attempt to make it a conspiracy theory.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe in the case of the Coronavirus, maybe it will take someone of wealth and power dying from it, for some real action to be taken on stopping it or finding a cure or shot for it. ;)

jerseyjoe and DC-93 like this.
  4. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Year to 18 months from a vaccine.
    Appears to not really effect the young.
    Old folks with underlying health issues are the ones that need to worry to most.
    Smokers? Since its mainly a respiratory illness, probably more at risk.

Look up regular flu deaths around the globe and here in the US.
    Imagine if every single death was on the TV every night??

Keep Calm & Don't Panic.

5. 06PTElectricBlue

What may be so disturbing about it is that the first person in the US to die from it, in that Washington state nursing home, reportedly had no foreign travel and had not been recently visited by anyone that had been to an infected area. So just how did that person get it, and now several others from that same nursing home have now died from it. ;)

It was then reported that a person who had visited that nursing home, then took the virus back to their home state and now some members of their family are infected. It seems to spread very easily.

There's been reports of people hoarding food and supplies getting ready to basically hibernate in their homes.

But as you said, Keep Calm & Don't Panic.

DC-93 likes this.
  6. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

A certain percent will have no symptoms and be "carriers". How do you track them?? You can't!
    Another percent will have very mild symptoms and just shake it off.

They say 85% really won't get that sick. Fingers crossed!

Tony K, 06PTElectricBlue and chuzz like this.
  7. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that this is a virus and NOT a bacteria. So, all the people making a run on the hand sanitizer at the local stores are just wasting time and money. You can't kill a virus with hand sanatizer. You need soap and water. Wash your hands with soap for at least 30 seconds and dry them thoroughly. Avoid close contact with people (especially ones you don't know) and try to keep a 6 foot space around you. Easier said than done, I know. I've started shopping early in the mornings so I don't have to deal with so many rude, paranoid people now. My wife is on immuno-supresent meds and I sure don't want her picking this crap up. I'm afraid if she does, she won't survive it. Avoid people that cough and sneeze out in public, if at all possible. Don't shake hands, just nod or bow or just speak your hellos. Common sense will help us, if we just think to use it. Personally, I think the media has caused more hysteria than necessary with the coverage of this particular virus.

8. 06PTElectricBlue

There has to be an angle to the Coronavirus, who stands to make a lot of $$$$ from it?

Some pharmaceutical company that makes a cure for it?

Maybe a return of a lot of jobs and manufacturing to the US, considering all that we get from China, and they are basically shut down right now, so it won't be long before prices of normal, everyday items spike?

Somebody is going to profit from it o_O;):p:rolleyes::D:eek:

DC-93 and chuzz like this.
  9. 06PTElectricBlue

Maybe it's time to do away with paper money, as it can be a carrier ;)

Top 10 Things You Didn't Know About Money - TIME (at http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1914560_1914558_1914544,00.html )

"Dirty Money

All money, it turns out, could stand to be laundered: the stuff is filthy. Studies show that a solid majority of U.S. bills are contaminated by cocaine. Drug traffickers often use coke-sullied hands to move cash, and many users roll bills into sniffing straws; the brushes and rollers in ATMs may distribute the nose candy through the rest of the money supply.

Also found on bills: fecal matter. A 2002 report in the Southern Medical Journal showed found pathogens — including staphylococcus — on 94% of dollar bills tested. Paper money can reportedly carry more germs than a household toilet. And bills are a hospitable environment for gross microbes: viruses and bacteria can live on most surfaces for about 48 hours, but paper money can reportedly transport a live flu virus for up to 17 days. It's enough to make you switch to credit."

[​IMG]

DC-93, chuzz and Doug D like this.
  10. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

My cousin use to run a liquor store. Despite cleaning the cash drawer it was always "dirty" and had a unique odor. Yes, paper money is always dirty.

From my limited observations at local retailers, most people (I'd say at least 80%) use debit or credit cards in their transactions. Not many use cash.

DC-93, Ryan and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  11. 06PTElectricBlue

[​IMG]

DC-93 likes this.
  12. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

There are currently 6 cases in Texas, all from people that had traveled out of the US. They are in Fort Bend and Harris counties (counties are side by side).
    Next weekend a group I am in will be holding an amateur radio swap fest in Bell county, about 200 miles from Houston (Harris county).
    Typically have around 900 people show up.
    We are not worried but we did get one email asking if we were going to cancel. Nope. Not at this point.

SXSW in Austin did cancel but they have an international draw with a lot more people packed much closer together.

DC-93 likes this.
  13. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I almost never carry cash. It just feels inconvenient and yeah, kind of gross. Now that I’m thinking of it, the only reasons I ever go to the ATM are to have money for a haircut or to go to the car wash. Everywhere else accepts cards.

Tony K, DC-93 and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

'The local car wash here accepts debit/credit cards. And so does the hair salon where I get my haircut. I rarely carry cash.

06PTElectricBlue and DC-93 like this.
  15. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

So, let's say a 'carrier' of the virus uses a credit card. He takes his contaminated hand, grabs his wallet, grabs his card and slides it into a slot.
    Now, the slot is contaminated.

Next guy, "Mr. Innocent", puts his clean card into the reader, thereby picking up the virus from the contaminated reader.

The jury is out as far as how long the virus lives on surfaces. Hearing from 9 hours to 9 weeks. (who really knows?)

Wait until an Amazon package packer has it. Virus, delivered right to your door.

Eventually we ALL will be exposed. We can't live in bubbles.

This is Darwin at work.

wtxiceman and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  16. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

As far as dirty money, why do you think some folks launder it! LOL!!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously, the more "crap" you are exposed to, the better your immune system is at fighting things off.

Your own immune system is your FIRST defense against anything.

17. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

18. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I carry cash for my church donations and fund raisers. We're not large enough or sophisticated enough to have machines that accept ATM payments.

06PTElectricBlue and DC-93 like this.
  19. 06PTElectricBlue

Now I know who's going to make a lot of money from this virus, the makers of Corona beer are going to sue because the name of the virus has ruined all of the sales of their beer, and they were forced to go out of business o_O;):p:eek::D:)

[​IMG]

page2171 and Tony K like this.
  20. 06PTElectricBlue