AF: Could the new Nissan Frontier be the next Dakota? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could the new Nissan Frontier be the next Dakota?

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by voiceofstl, Sep 18, 2020.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The frontier is ancient but its the cheapest truck on the market. Nissan is coming out with a brand new ground up frontier with anew powerfull V6 powertrain.
    Does anyone know the specs? Will it be priced in the low 20's?

2. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

The new powertrain is on the current old Frontier for its last year (unless Nissan keep the old Frontier for a couple of additional years as "Frontier Classic"). I don't know if the new Frontier might be delayed due to the Coronavirus

3. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Any delays in the new Frontier are strictly due to set backs with production changeover. None of the rental companies bought 2020 Nissan Frontiers to my knowldge. We just received a huge batch of 2021 Colorados. They are all V6, AWD, Crew Cabs with fleet trim. Fleet trim is a mix of base with more highline features. Sometimes fleet buyers are exempt from mandatory options or packages.

The ship had sailed for FCA using the Frontier a long time ago.

We have been talking about "optimizing platforms" in another thread. A true mid-sized Ram truck using the Gladiator platform would be a good place to start. PSA as well as FCA needs a midsize fruck for the Americas. It doesn't need the Jeep solid front axle, but will need a shorter cab with a longer bed.

tlc and ScramFan like this.
  4. voiceofstl

Gladiator is to expensive and limited. Caravan/Pacifica platform would be much better.

5. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Yes and yes...but are they "cowboy" enough to sell?
    - what sells, efficiency or stigma?

freshforged likes this.
  6. voiceofstl

Its like Kid Rock singing.......I wanna be a cowboy

7. patfromigh

Does the market really want a Ram Ridgeline?

BOF midsize trucks seems to be what the market wants. Is the line in Toledo where the Gladiator is built at full capacity, so it's a limited product? The feature which makes the Gladiator expensive probably isn't that it sits on a frame. I doubt it's even the front solid axle. Both the 1972-93 D-Series and First generation Dakotas had different front suspension between 2wd and 4wd models. A midsize Ram truck could be built on the same line even though the sheet metal and suspension would be different.

I don't know what Fiat Fullback sales are for the various regions, but that model doesn't have a future. Does FCA want to replace it? With all the shuffling of production facilities for Jeeps and trucks, maybe the corporation could open up space in Mexico to build a new midsize pickup for Latin America, while siphoning off a few for North America.

page2171 and ScramFan like this.
  8. voiceofstl

Yes..I am in the minority, you can tell by the low sales of the Ridgeline. People don't like it and it cost way to much. Recently Motor Trend did a review on mid size trucks doing truck things Colorado,Riidgeline, Tacoma and Ranger. The ridgeline came in 2nd place.
    If you got a big boat or trailer or your work needs it then you need a full size truck. For most suburbanites the ridgeline is the perfect truck. i always thought a caravan version would be better and most of all cheaper then the honda.
    But apparently its better to look cool in a full size expensive truck that you don't need.

9. patfromigh

cdjr77 likes this.
  10. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I'm still at a point in my life where I need room for more than one passenger. Otherwise of be right there with you. I've loved the idea ever since I first saw that concept.

11. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

The Comanche Concept is the kind of innovative thinking we need right now instead of the dithering we get from Still/\ntis as they try to finesse yet another merger. Meanwhile product lines wither.

12. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yes, Gladiator is expensive, but it is not limited.

In the first six months of this year, which included the lockdowns, Jeep sold 35,000 Gladiators, vs Nissan 20,000 Frontiers and Honda 14,000 Ridgelines.

The midsize pickup segment does not look large enough to sustain a Gladiator and a Dakota side by side, though. Given current volumes, to grow volume it would be much easier for Jeep to increase Gladiator’s overall value.

13. voiceofstl

Gladiator is brand NEW and got massive press coverage, it is the "shiney new toy" of the time. I still think there is a huge market for a mid sizer priced in the low 20's.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Then draw up a plan for a profitable low $20k and submit it to an automaker.
    Anyone that shopped purely on price would be buying the Nissan Frontier. And they aren't.

#14 valiant67, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    page2171, tlc, patfromigh and 2 others like this.
  15. patfromigh

Our fleet is picking out the low mileage Tacomas and sending them to the wholesalers. It is more profitable to sell them fight now than rent them. This isn't a knock against Toyota, they have retained their value. Chevy is sending us a lot of 2021 trucks right now, so it's not like we lack for pickup trucks.

Before this pandemic hit we were swimming in Frontiers, and there are a lot fewer of them now. Anyone looking for a cheap pickup truck can find one of those on the used car lot.

16. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

It is also old and hasn't been updated. That is a major reason why no one is buying it. Plus it is a Nissan and that entire automaker has been experiencing a decline in sales. So there are other issues within Nissan and buyers know it.
    I am not saying a low $20K pickup is possible or would sale if outfitted to sale at that price point. Just that price isn't the only reason why the Frontier isn't selling.

17. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

It should also be remembered that the 1500´s truck basically has outgrown themselfes to the point that they are loosing capacity.
    - a well built 750/ 1 ton truck could be spaced in where the 1500´s were 20 years ago.

freshforged likes this.
  18. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It was not updated for U.S.A. market, there is a newer version (D23) sold worldwide.