AF: COVID Shutdown Aftereffects | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COVID Shutdown Aftereffects

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by page2171, Jun 1, 2020.

1. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that all different kinds of activities were postponed, cancelled, etc. due to the COVID-19 related shutdowns. One area is routine medical care. Here is just one.

My mom has a history of back problems. A couple of months before the 'rona got crazy she moved into a senior apartment complex and my sister bought her house. Early on in the 'rona she was working with my sister to sort through stuff that she didn't take with her to her apartment and aggravated her back. As days and weeks went on, her pain increased and mobility decreased. She tried to get an appointment with her doctor, but by then the office was closed and was only working over the phone. Not being able to examine her, the doctor kept prescribing more meds. Finally, on the Friday before Memorial Day she couldn't take the pain anymore and couldn't walk, and called 911. She was taken to the hospital and spent the rest of the holiday weekend at the hospital. Finally on Tuesday after Memorial Day the doctor at the hospital was able to talk to her back doctor and her pain management doctor, and they were able to come up with a plan that got her back on her feet. That got her out of the hospital and on her way to a rehab facility. She is progressing, but it has been a struggle to keep her spirits up as she has to be quarantined for 14 days because she is new to the facility, and because of the quarantine she can't have any visitors.

This is just one example of the aftereffects of the shutdowns. How many other stories like this, maybe better, maybe worse, are out there? It is going to take a while for things to return to normal.

Shane Estabrooks and Ryan like this.
  2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Sounds somewhat similar to my SIL's mom's situation.

A couple years ago she sold her condo in a small city in the British Columbia interior, and moved herself into a Lutheran-run care home. She is 92; she has a small 1 bedroom apartment in the facilities; she makes her own breakfast; lunch and dinner are served in the communal dining room. When COVID hit, every resident was forced to stay inside their apartments. She spent two entire months by herself. Lunch and dinner were left outside her door, but she could have no contact with anyone. My SIL would Face Time with her mom 2-4 times week. After a month she noticed that her mom had become despondent, apathetic. A month-and-a-half into it, my SIL and her sister attempted to lure their mom to the window so they could see each other; they even put together a big sign, but the care home authorities didn't allow them to do it under the premise that it would make other residents feel left out; make them self aware of their own isolation.

It must have been brutal. I can't imagine being forced to stay in a small apartment by myself for two whole months.

The home care has lifted some of the restrictions. My SIL was granted visitation and they are planning to visit their mom.

I, too, have felt the isolation. I am an introvert; I cherish my time alone. I relocated here 3 years ago and have been working from home since. I haven't been able to see my dad and my brothers in Canada since mid-March. It's been tough. Fortunately, I have been able to do a few day drives up the mountains and other local points of interest to clear my head. We Face Time once a week to see each other's face. As the restrictions have been eased, I have been interacting with my neighbors again.

The US-Canada border is closed to non-essential crossings until June 20th. Hope the restrictions are lifted before Father's Day so I can go see everyone.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

There are a lot of stories of people stuck in the wrong state or country. Lots of elderly people on their own. It's not good. On the lighter side, it's forcing doctors to step up their game with regard to sterilization, telemedicine, and such. People who are very sick may not be forced to travel to doctors.

page2171 and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

I'm scheduled for surgery.. Cancelled due to C-19, but they called back and said I could go for surgery if I quarantine for 14 days first. That is 14 days of no work.. no nothing, then off work for 2 months after surgery. I said no I can wait ... but for how long ..not sure.

Like you said Dave Z .. we know a few people that are stuck in other counties with there visa's run out too.. I have a niece in South America.. that is stuck there.

My wife's mom is in need of help and right now we can't travel south to do that.. let alone go shopping for bulk items that we stock up on bi-yearly. Manitoba is divided into two .. South and north at the 53rd parallel.. Only essential services allowed to travel with restrictions.

5. page2171

I'm an introvert too, but this has been enough for me. My team at work has been working from home for the last 8 weeks or so. I kept going to work because there just weren't enough places to go in the house for me to work from home, my wife to work from home, my oldest son to work and do school from home, and my younger son and daughter to do school from home. Fortunately I had two coworkers that don't have good enough internet connections to work from home, so I have had some company at work.

6. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

#6 06PTElectricBlue, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Tony K, page2171 and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  7. page2171

Well, mom is back at the hospital. :( But, the silver lining is that this time they actually took the time to find the cause of her pain. In addition to x-rays like last time, this time they also did a CAT scan. They found a fractured vertebra. That would explain the pain. That was in the middle of the night, last night. We've been waiting all day for the various doctors to figure out how they are going to fix it. The week she spent at the rehab facility trying to work on walking probably didn't help things much. Frustrating.

8. page2171

My wife is a preschool teacher (3K and 4K), she got lots of thank yous from the parents of her students. Our kids were pretty easy to home-school during this mess. Oldest finished up his last year of college, and graduated as a software engineer. Most of what he was studying was way over my head, and thankfully not over his. Younger son is in high school, and was very disciplined in getting his work done. Our youngest (middle school aged daughter) was more work, but not too bad.

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  9. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

On a different blog someone reported about a mom hearing skilled piano playing coming from their family room. It was her 8th grade son. He had lessons a few years earlier, but never seemed to get past the basics. She asked him who taught him and he said he taught himself since he was bored during the lockdown. He also felt school was holding him back. There have been other stories as well with children showing their hidden talents or simply picking up a book and enjoying reading for the first time. There have been plenty of horror stories at this time, but it is encouraging to see some kids blossom.

10. aldo90731

Here are some of the changes I see:
    1. Everyone has had to learn how to use Zoom or FaceTime
    2. Employers are finding out that we don’t need to come into the office to get our work one; and they are bound to find out that they can save millions in office space
    3. Doctors have embraced telemedicine
    4. Late night hosts are learning to tell jokes into an empty room, and we are learning to laugh without the paid laughter to cue us in
    5. Mail delivery time is now measured in weeks, instead of days
    6. Mass transit may never be the same. Uber and Lyft are likely to accelerate the roll out of autonomous driving, and we are now more likely to demand it
    7. Air travel may never be the same. I used to get sick every time I got home from a business trip due to the proximity to someone on the plane being sick. Face masks, latex gloves, temperature checks, social distancing, UV disinfecting, they are all coming to an aircraft near you
    8. We have discovered that mundane things like grocery stores are, in fact, essential
    9. Some of our favorite businesses/retailers/restaurants may be gone forever
    Feel free to add your own.

11. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

I would add:
    10. Bicycles are serious transportation when the busses aren't running.

12. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Ever wonder why it’s hard to survive in the restaurant business???

Too many of them. Hopefully, the good ones will survive this.

Tony K likes this.
  13. 06PTElectricBlue

Dining out in the future could look like this :eek:o_O:rolleyes::p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Being an antisocial....um...I mean introvert...I wouldn’t mind that one bit. Before our kids were born, we took our then 16 year old niece with us on a cruise. We were able to get a small table for dinner that just fit the three of us (could’ve fit a fourth). After some of the weirdos we’ve had to sit with on previous cruises, it was nice to be by ourselves. I know they like to promote the social aspect of dining, but I feel like they can shove that up their....um....stern. I’ve exceeded my tolerance for in-person social interaction with my shifts at the hospital, and any more than that is at the risk of the public. :D

Tony K, Ryan, page2171 and 3 others like this.
  15. 06PTElectricBlue

One concern that I see with some of the table divider designs is, that in some restaurants, they are already loud enough, with the dividers, I think that some people will talk even louder trying to talk over the divider :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Everything could change moving forward, because in the past, so much of life is about getting as many people crammed into a place as possible, so that the particular business can make a profit (sports arenas, movie theaters, planes, trains, all mass transit systems, amusement parks and venues, concert halls, and there are many more....).

But now everything is about "social distancing" and staying apart from others. So how do those places that cater to the masses ever come back to operating at full strength? ;)

Tony K and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

The joke is on the diners.

Does anybody here really think that
    dividers will stop airborne spores??

As I said in one of the deleted threads,
    a lot of us will get exposed, sooner or later. Some of us will get it, some won’t.

There are so many variables involved!
    To think a piece of plexiglass can stop it is absurd.

17. page2171

Good news about my mom. On Thursday they did a procedure to basically glue the fractured vertebra back together. She was in significantly less pain already when they brought her back up to her room, and has been improving since then. Her COVID test came back negative, so she is cleared to be discharged back to the rehab facility. All very good news.

MJAB, Tony K, Zagnut27 and 6 others like this.
  18. dana44

Ad-Free Member

That is good news on both accounts. My mother in law had the glue on the vertebrae procedure done twice (different locations) and they were both successful, the first done 15 or so years before the second section and truly great for her.

06PTElectricBlue and page2171 like this.
  19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The plexiglass can stop droplets from the people sitting at your table...but it won’t for the table behind you or next to you. Especially depending on the AC currents within a restaurant too, as droplets can travel much farther with the air coming from vents.

Perhaps something like a personal version of the Cone Of Silence from the old Get Smart tv show? :D

4E04126C-CECF-4AA5-9DA9-B1FA952EDA02.jpeg

I think in-house dining at restaurants should’ve been one of the last things to open up again, especially with how long one sits inside a restaurant to eat...time is a big factor for exposure. Personally, I’d rather get my food to go anyway, though I think I’ve already established that I’m antiso....um...introverted. :D

20. 06PTElectricBlue

Yep, every restaurant will have to have a drive up service available.

And think about it, without dining out, you could actually save money as you won't really have to tip your wait staff, because there isn't any, and some restaurants add the tip in as mandatory to the bill. ;)

But with less people dining out and more ordering take out or delivery, restaurants may have to start charging for delivery service that they may have been providing for free just to be able to keep some business coming in during the lockdown. They will soon realize the the delivery service is actually costing them $ ;)

Zagnut27 likes this.