Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR Drives the Toyota C-HR

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Erik Latranyi, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Video only, but CR is pretty hard on the Toyota.

Complaining that there is no tuning knob for the radio and that it is dark in the back seat seems trivial in a day when kids are on their phones more than ever.

No AWD is a surprise, as is the loud interior.

I am not a fan of CR, but for those that say CR does has a bias toward Toyota are made fools here,

Those that claim CR bias, need to check their own bias.

Full video here: 2018 Toyota C-HR Road Test (at http://a.msn.com/08/en-us/AAsZKT3?ocid=se )

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  2. wtxiceman

Level III Supporter

It's a little rough on the eyes in my opinion. And another infotainment screen stuck up in your face

3. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

I guess Toyota leased to CR a CH-R who was built on Monday morning or Friday afternoon, lol. :D

4. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

To be fair that back window looks super small and not every kid has a phone. My cousins aren't allowed on a phone except for a couple hours every couple days and hell i didn't have one till my senior year of high school

5. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

meanwhile my 15 Yo Nephew had his 1st Cellphone at 9 years old. 1st Tablet at 11.

6. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

It's all about how you raise them. My cousins have one tablet between them to play games and whatnot but that's even limited to the amount of time they can spend on it. Like for instance if they're on it too much then they can't have it for a week or so. But while in a car they're never allowed to have either one unless i'm sure a long trip was to be taken

7. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

The back windows are pretty small. I saw this vehicle at the local auto show earlier this year. I wouldn't call the design "rough" as such, it's just a really busy design that is an eyesore for me.

8. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Looking at the front of the C-HR the Cherokee suddenly looks okay.
    That thin horizontal slit makes the upper and lower painted part look like lips.
    Also the way the entire front end protrudes and then layers itself downward make the front look like a vacuum.
    Almost street sweeper like somehow.

[​IMG]

9. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

..or perhaps the C-HR is so bad that CR was still giving it a pass! :p

Christopher and Erik Latranyi like this.
  10. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Consumer Reports is biased toward their readership. If their readership does not like a vehicle, CR will not like the vehicle. If the CR readers like the vehicle, Cr will like the vehicle.

CR is just a bunch of folks patting each other on the back saying how great they all are.

Take battery drill/drivers for instance. One of their big ratings is how many screws it will drive. Some rather piece of junk drills get very high ratings here. Some very very high quality drills got poor ratings here.

How many screws it will drive, is a measure of the battery size. Nothing more. Some cheap drills came with oversized batteries, and some of the good drills were bought with undersized batteries.

Their methodology, often does not reflect real world uses. How about how many screws will it drive until mechanical failure? Or, how good is the belt clip? Or how about the chuck?

IMO their methodology is flawed. Therefore I don’t pay attention to them.

I feel sorry for those folks that rely on CR.

MJAB, aldo90731, somber and 1 other person like this.
  11. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

The video didn't give a single mention of which country this vehicle was built in. Unbelievable...

12. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

That is one weird-looking little bugger. Actually, it looks more than a little different from most automobiles. I suspect the design is intended to be a bit polarizing, as well as to stand out from all of it's competitors. Since Toyota has been accused of delivering rather bland yet well-built products in the past, this, like the newest Camry, is likely intended to show Toyota can imbue their vehicles with something other than bland and boring.

13. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

CR is the biggest peanut gallery in the history of mankind. If CR were to actually design a car, it would probably end up looking something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Then, who would buy the damn thing?

danbek likes this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I agree.

That wouldn’t be a problem if its readership were representative of the larger market. But it isn’t.

15. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Obviously Toyota is catching the Nissan ugly stick disease. Please, Toyo and Nissan, the atomic cockroach look went out with the '74 Datsun (Nissan) B210 but it seems back now! It seems that both these companies have run out of good styling ideas, so they have taken to visual abominations that should send their designers to ophthalmologists to figure out what made them think that looks good!

Both used to make decent looking small cars, but in their obsessive rush to cover every square inch of the market, they have produced vehicles that have no reason to exist, that overlap with their other products, and makes you wonder how they are profitable with so much needless overlapping products.

16. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

@aldo90731, and the could call it The Homer.

@Erik Latranyi, one critical review, does not mean that they don't have a bias in favor of Toyota.

17. T_690

T_690 Active Member

18. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Do you have the Nissan Juke in the USA? That's a bizarrely-styled CUV that has enjoyed strong sales in Europe, and looks to have been a major argument in favour of making CH-R. Certainly, CH-R shares the Nissan's terrible rear passenger space.

19. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Yes, we have that hideous thing here as well.

Somehow, it doesn’t seem to take much to convince Japanese automakers that the market needs another hideous design.

wtxiceman and somber like this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I believe the end of the Juke has been announced for North America.
    The lesson should be what may sell well in Europe (Juke, CH-R, fiat) won't necessarily sell well in North America.

somber likes this.