Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR Drives the Toyota C-HR

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Erik Latranyi, Oct 14, 2017.

1. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

That will make my sister very sad. She has her heart set on a Juke. I don't see the attraction.

2. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

The Juke does not sell well in Europe. It was a pioneer in the sub-compact SUV segment so it might have had decent numbers when the segment was smaller but it has been surpassed by a lot of competitors. Fiat does not sell in the US because its strengths are city and sub-compact cars. Those are marginal segments in the US.
    But if Fiat brought a compact or midsize hatch/sedan to the US everyone here would be calling for blood because that's Dodge/Chrysler turf. So Fiat is severely constrained in what it can introduce in the US market and you guys miss out on the Tipo/Neon or Fiat Toro for example.

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Half of Fiat’s problem might be product portfolio. But at least as important is Fiat’s reputation in a North America. Ignoring this isn’t going to end well.

... the quality issue affects all FCA brands, even long before they were FCA brands.

#23 valiant67, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
    somber and aldo90731 like this.
  4. Deckard_Cain

Oh, I agree with you. Fiat in the US has plenty of problems. Just as it has in India, China and even Europe. The brand is being grossly mismanaged.
    In the US I would say 40% of the problem is the product portfolio, another 30% is the dealer network and 30% the reputation. The problem is that they seem to have given up on the brand over there. Now that they are getting Alfa Romeo there I think they'll just eventually drop Fiat just like Toyota dropped Scion, like Smart is crashing, etc.
    Only BMW is trying to sustain their small car brand - Mini. And they do that by increasing the size of the cars (they're not so Mini anymore).

Since FCA has limited capital a lot of brands are suffering. Hopefully, they do something for Fiat. Since Fiat USA seems to receive a small part of Fiat Europe models, maybe when the new city car 500 comes out, they'll launch it there as well. There's also rumors of a sub-compact 5-door 500. that would make for a nice Mini competitor.

Lampredi likes this.
  5. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

$50 Black&Decker drill is the best in the world.

6. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Nobody would complain if Fiat brought it's larger vehicles here.

That is not accurate. Let them try, their reputation will still hold them back.

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. Deckard_Cain

If they brought compact and midsize cars for Fiat without Chrysler and Dodge have any offer in those segments you would be one of the first to complain...
    But I don't think it would be wise to do so right now. They need to decide what to do with Fiat. They froze product launches this year when Europe was supposed to receive a new sub-compact car and a compact SUV.

8. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I don't see how they can do that, unless they change the name of the company again: FCA -> ACA (because ARCA is taken)?

9. Deckard_Cain

I meant to say in the US market. Not globally. Obviously Fiat would continue in Europe...

10. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Hyundai and Kia used to have horrible reps too, the difference is that someone made a decision to change that. The same was true of Toyota, Nissan and Honda at one time (ie all the way up to about 1980-1985). They were all sold on features and price, got their market, then improved quality before the customers left.

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GasAxe likes this.
  12. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Sweet!

13. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

They aren't biased toward Toyota.

4Runner - 2/5 stars - ranks 22/23 in its class
    86 - 4/5 stars - ranks 4/4 (last) in its class
    C-HR - 3/5 stars - ranks 11/14 in its class
    Corolla - 3/5 stars - ranks 13/18 in its class
    Corolla iM - 3/5 stars - ranks 12/18 in its class
    Highlander - 3/5 stars - ranks 17/23 in its class
    Land Cruiser - 2.5/5 stars - ranks 7/8 in its class
    Prius C - 1/5 stars - ranks 10/10 (last) in its class
    Prius V - 3/5 stars - ranks 8/10 in its class
    RAV-4 - 3.5/5 stars - ranks 10/14 in its class
    Sequoia - 2/5 stars - ranks 10/10 (last) in its class
    Tacoma - 3/5 stars - ranks 4/5 in its class
    Tundra - 2.5/5 stars - ranks 7/7 (last) in its class
    Yaris - 3/5 stars - ranks 7/10 in its class

Of course, I did go through and pick the worst ones, but look at how many there are. When 14 out of 21 vehicles from an automaker are ranked near the bottom of their class, I don't think it's possible to say that a publication is biased toward that brand. If anything, they seem to acknowledge that Toyota's are solid vehicles, just lacking any kind of special features, styling, or fun.