Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crankshaft position sensor leak

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by mainones, Jan 18, 2017.

1. mainones

mainones Active Member

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser base model I am wondering if it common to have the crankshaft position sensor leak where it is attached to the engine? Mine seems to be and was considering removing it and replacing the o-ring. Anybody else done this?

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

What is it leaking?

3. mainones

mainones Active Member

Looks like oil.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Probably engine oil. The CKP sensor is above the oil filter adapter which is a more common leak. So is the oil pan gasket.
    Because the sensor is mounted at the rear of the engine, oil can blow around and look like something else is leaking.
    If you are not sure of the leak source, it may help to degrease and rinse the area to do a visual leak location test.

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Agree with cleaning the area before replacing the O-ring, unless it has been removed recently it is extremely rare that it would leak.