AF: Crash Tests Show Not All Minivans Are Created Equal | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crash Tests Show Not All Minivans Are Created Equal

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Hemidakota, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

CR-Cars-Gallery-2018-Chrysler-Pacifica-Crash-8-18.jpg
    2018 Chrysler Pacifica

Some minivans are better than others at protecting passenger-side occupants during a crash, according to the latest tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The IIHS has just announced findings on a trio of minivans, and Honda’s Odyssey came out on top with a Good rating. (There are four IIHS ratings: Good, Acceptable, Marginal, and Poor.)

The Chrysler Pacifica earned an Acceptable rating, and the Toyota Sienna got a Marginal rating in part because of the risk of possible leg injuries.

The passenger-side small overlap crash test sends a vehicle into a barrier at 40 mph with just 25 percent of the vehicle's front end overlapping the barrier on the passenger side, according to the IIHS.

MORE ARTICLE: Crash Tests Show Not All Minivans Are Created Equal (at https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/iihs-minivan-crash-tests-not-all-models-are-created-equal/ )

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I would have expected the Pacifica to do better than acceptable, given that it’s a newer design.

suzq044, JavelinAMX, cgseller and 4 others like this.
  3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The Pacifica rated marginal for the ease of use for the LATCH system. I wonder what makes them more difficult to use? The ones in our Encore and my Liberty are easy to get to.

4. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Remember, this is a new type of testing (passenger-side small overlap crash test sends a vehicle into a barrier at 40 mph with just 25 percent of the vehicle's front end overlapping the barrier on the passenger side, according to the IIHS).

5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Isn't the honda newer and even that just passed. It's like this test blindsided the companies and toyota even pointed that out.

suzq044 and freshforged like this.
  6. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Affirmative - 2018 next gen if I am correct

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Interesting how the Dodge Grand Caravan received a higher ranking (Acceptable) for the LATCH system.

The LATCH hooks are a somewhat pain to get to on our 2010 Journey SXT. The LATCH hooks in my '06 Ram are slightly easier to access than the Journey's.

8. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

From the photo it looks like the honda and chrysler did just as well on the passenger side, and they don't really say why it got a lower rating it sounded like it did well on all injury fronts and they marked down for something arbitrary. I take IIHS with a grain of salt these days, as you can have cars that do just as well on passenger protection and one gets a lower rating than another.

jstew314, freshforged and Ryan like this.
  9. svevar

svevar Well-Known Member

There's no conspiracy against Chrysler here. The Honda simply held up better in this test. And even with the "acceptable" score in the passenger small overlap category, Pacifica retains "Top Safety Pick" status overall.

The Consumer Reports article doesn't go into detail, but IIHS' web site does:
    The Odyssey had measurably less intrusion:

10. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

The problem is these tests are arbitrary with no guidance for future tests that the manufacturers can factor in when designing future products.

Matthew likes this.
  11. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

What makes them more difficult to access? Are they deeper in between the seat and the back? The ones in our Encore are fairly visible, so they’re easy to hook onto. The ones in my Liberty are a bit more deep-set, so you have to feel for them to hook onto, but I wouldn’t say it’s difficult. I’m just curious.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

They’ve been using the driver’s side small overlap test for a few years now at least. But from what I gather, companies were preparing vehicles for the driver’s side protection while not giving the same protection to the passenger side. So they developed a test for the passenger side too and the automakers got caught.

To me, it reminds me of Ford gaming the system by preparing only certain models of F150’s to pass the test because they knew only those models would be tested...the ones that wouldn’t be tested did not receive the upgraded protection. Ford got caught.

Was it a case of “blindsiding” the manufacturers? I’ll leave that to others to decide for themselves. To me, if you’re going to test for something specific like that, you should give advance warning so preparations can be made. A lot is riding on the results of these tests...if nothing else it can affect public perception of a brand which can in-turn affect sales.

#12 Zagnut27, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    UN4GTBL and freshforged like this.
  13. vipergts2207

vipergts2207 Active Member

I don’t know why they wouldn’t have manufactured them symmetrically to begin with. That being said, a small overlap crash is much more likely to occur on the driver’s side anyway.

14. Matthew

Matthew Is pushing for progress!

1 cm and 4cm which are much smaller then inches are not "significant" amounts. The would be like say someone looks older because they have 1 or two gray hairs compared to the other person. it's not much, and it is small enough to be caused by a minor varations in the test, slightly faster then 40mph not quite as close to 25%. No test is 100% repeatable especially something where you are crashing a car, and have to get it to speed and have it travel a distance.

#14 Matthew, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    djsamuel, jstew314 and UN4GTBL like this.
  15. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Shame on Chrysler

JavelinAMX likes this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

IIRC, a small overlap crash doesn’t happen all that frequently to begin with, and a passenger side crash is even less likely. I would have to research that to be sure...which is unlikely because it’s almost 3 am and I should be sleeping. The curse of a night shift worker...:D

As to why they were manufactured symmetrically, it probably has to do with cost. Especially since up until now they weren’t testing the passenger side, so why bother devoting resources to it (besides altruistic reasons).

17. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

The testing facility's make a living finding areas to exploit. Never forget the Chevy truck gas tank fiasco, along with the Pinto B.S., these guys make a living using the media to create sensational headlines.

18. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Was the sample size ONE?

19. Doug D

Yes, that is the difference. The Journeys LATCH system are slightly deeper between the seat and back. In my Ram they are more visible.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  20. Doug D

IIHS had nothing to do with the Chevy pickup gas fiasco - as I recall that was one of the network shows. But one has to admit that placing the fuel tanks outside of the frame rails was not the greatest idea.

freshforged, Ryan and valiant67 like this.