AF: Crash Tests Show Not All Minivans Are Created Equal | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crash Tests Show Not All Minivans Are Created Equal

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Hemidakota, Aug 16, 2018.

1. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I remember when gas tanks used to be safely behind the seatback inside the cab. :D
    The Audi thing was mainly big American feet and small, closely spaced pedals (and mostly automatic transmissions). This issue was almost non-existant in the rest of the world. Plus we have more starving lawyers in the U.S.
    Unintended acceleration and vehicles not being put in Park are still commonplace errors (really no longer a vehicle defect).
    It also sells newspapers and garners mouse clicks.

jerseyjoe, aldo90731 and Zagnut27 like this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The gas tanks in the early military Jeeps were under the driver’s seat. Now that made sense...in a vehicle with the potential of being exposed to enemy fire (well, isn’t ANY incoming fire your enemy??). :D

3. svevar

svevar Well-Known Member

Says who?

Pacifica was tested twice, as stated on IIHS' web site.

IIHS assigns a good/acceptable/marginal/poor rating in each metric based on objective measurements, then uses a weighted average (I'm assuming) to roll up the individual metric ratings into a single G/A/M/P rating for the test. The consumer-friendly rating system requires that IIHS draw the line somewhere, such that even 1 cm of additional intrusion can cross the threshold into next rating. So it seems the intrusion observed in the "structure and safety cage" metric landed Pacifica in "marginal" territory, which dragged the vehicle's overall passenger small overlap rating down to "acceptable" despite "good" scores in all other metrics. And again, the vehicle overall is still deemed a "Top Safety Pick." For comparison, Odyssey scored "acceptable" in structure and safety cage, "good" for passenger small overlap, and "Top Safety Pick" overall.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica (at http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/chrysler/pacifica-minivan/2018 )
    2018 Honda Odyssey (at http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/odyssey-minivan/2018 )
    Frontal crash tests (at http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ratings-info/frontal-crash-tests )

Most importantly for us fans, media is framing these results as good news for Chrysler and Honda, and bad news for Toyota.

4. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I saw a TV news breif saying Toyota and Pacifica had the highest overall safety ratings of all minvans, no others came close. Who do we beleive?

JavelinAMX likes this.
  5. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I’d add: America also has more distracted and self-absorbed drivers than anywhere else I’ve been at the wheel.

6. jerseyjoe

Fortunately for me passengers and myself in my vehicles never came close to getting hurt. Luck or skill? Running short on both. At 72 I can use all the safety features available.

JavelinAMX and aldo90731 like this.
  7. jerseyjoe

I checked it out back then, real bargains, almost bought a quattro hatch back in the day for cheap! Insurance stopped me. I think it was the cocane wallstreet guys who were at fault (lawyers). Anyway I stayed in the MOPAR family because of it.

8. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

The sample size is frequently one when it comes to full scale tests like this. Generally the test is simply to validate that the analytical analysis isn't un-conservative.

9. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Sample size of one on a test with the amount of ciaos as a impact test is suspect. I get it, it expensive to set up. But sample size of ONE really is poor.

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The tests are very tightly controlled and repeatable. They are very open about the methods used to test. There is a lot that can be read online.

11. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Can confirm. 2011 Journey latch hooks are a royal PITA to use. It's a nightmare to take the car seat in or out.

12. gminnebo

gminnebo Well-Known Member

I always contend the best opportunity for safety in any vehicle is sitting behind the wheel, it saddens me to think we have to have these sort of tests to insure our vehicles are safe, it shouldn't be a game for the engineers, I get that we all want to save money, especially car manufacturers, but engineering to past test instead of to make it better, safer, stronger etc... sounds sleazy to me.

and while I haven't checked out the LATCH system on the Pacifica, I have used them on my Renegade and My Ram, they are hard to find, which in my opinion is better, cause they are ugly when they stick out, but my In-Laws, who are older (70+), prefer use the seat belts in there Ram for the car seat because they can't find the Latch and don't get it... so I am the one who installs the seats for them.

Don W, TripleT, Ryan and 1 other person like this.
  13. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

You ever plotted down awkwardly on a overly obvious car seat latch?!?!?! Ouch!!!!

UN4GTBL, gminnebo and Ryan like this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The backseat is for the lesser folk (kids, relatives, dogs, etc) while the man of the house drives the vehicle, so no, I’ve never experienced that. (Translation: I’m the chauffeur, so I end up carting everyone else around, so as much as I’d like sometimes to be a passenger...there’s nothing quite like sleeping in a moving car...I’m always in the driver’s seat). :D

wtxiceman likes this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

No matter how carefully you drive, you can’t avoid every accident. You can reduce the chances of an accident but you can never totally eliminate the chance.

16. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

In some cultures and place you are driven. And there are places in the world you do not want to drive... So yes I have hopped in the backseat and been bruised in spots I need a mirror to see.

17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yep, I’ve been to some places where you’d give anything to not have to drive...and yet still found myself carting others around. Unless you count being in the back of a deuce and a half and getting bounced around like ping pong balls...I didn’t need a mirror to see those bruises...well, not all of them anyway. :p

18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yeah, those old dueces we're not known for having a comfortable ride.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  19. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Good news for me ... I'm still leaning in the 'Yota Sienna direction for a Minivan choice. Neighbors have one; a fine piece of work.

At my age, I'm neutral and disinterested in regular LATCH concerns. However, it's possible to make use of those anchors for securing special things other than minor-age persons' Car Seats. Not a usual case, but the potential is there.

Not seeing any other Minivan maker offering AWD. Although this is not a primary concern , yet it is a feature pushing the form-factor closer to CUV ( ... and with CUV's being a focus in this market, why aren't makers equipping their Minivans with this feature? ).

You wouldn't have to add Brush Bars, Cladding, Four-Wheeler Light Bars, Off-Road Tires to sell the idea of CUV-likeness - but, who knows? Maybe it would be the start of a new thing? ( Not discounting the old Mitsu Delica ).

[​IMG]

Zagnut27 likes this.
  20. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Actually running boards have also been credited with occupant crash protection in side impacts. It could also be an added truss in offset crashes.
    I think that they can only test vehicles as they come from the factory. This could include body accessories for that package.
    A trailer hitch is the crash protection for the Jeep gas tank recall. An optional tank skid plate would also offer protection.