Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crowdfunded Viper ’Ring run

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

In late 2011, Dominik Farnbacher had taken a 2010 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR around the 12.9 mile course in just seven minutes and twelve seconds, the second fastest performance by a road-going car (after the Gumpert Apollo Sport). The Viper’s performance has since been surpassed by two Lamborghinis, a Porsche, a Mercedes AMG, and the Nissan GT-R Nismo. Dodge […]
    Read the whole post here.

PCRMike, MoparJoe and Devildodge like this.
  2. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

3. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Yes! I was wondering when this was going to happen.

I guess with Keating now in the GT3 Benz setup, he wont be directly participating ( IE Driving ).

4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

What a great way to send the Viper into the afterlife? Throw a big party for it, on some of racing's most hallowed ground. Props to those that are doing this.

Of note, there are several configurations. The 24 hour race uses the GP circuit, combined with the Nordschleiffe. This is NOT the configuration typically used for "Hot Lapping". Hot lapping generally uses just the Nordschlieffe (North Loop), and bypasses the GP Circuit. The Nordschlieffe was recently reconfigured, to make it safer (after a tragic accident). This reconfiguration has made it a little faster. Yes, the cars now running hot laps ARE faster (very much so) than their predecessors (of just a year or two ago), but the new racing configuration is a little faster than it was before. So, don't be discouraged by the seemingly SUPER fast times set by some of these cars. Not all of it is just the car, a lot of it is due to the new (faster) track.

Also, remember, the Viper ACR is now several years old. When it came out, it took the underpants off of quite a few very fast, very expensive cars, and fed said (soiled) underpants to the engineers that designed these super cars. I don't know a single engineer that would put up with that for very long. My point is that the Viper, though exceedingly fast, and SPECIFICALLY designed BY RACERS to be a racing car (that just happens to be road legal), now has faster competition that it did when it was new.

I have done quite a few comparisons on lap times that allow direct comparison between real race lap times of the ACR, GT-3 (Viper GT-Daytona), and the GTS-R (Viper GT LeMans), at real tracks where they all have run. The street legal Viper ACR is just as fast as its GT3 brother, and with tuning, and a highly skilled driver, could be nearly as fast as the GTLM car. It has a power, weight (small), aerodynamic, and torque advantage over both. It does lack the all out racing tires (though the Kumho's come close), suspension, and fine tuning that both of them possess.

I do believe that the ACR can beat the fastest time ANY road legal car has ever posted at the new Nordschleiffe. And that is an opinion backed up by (bench racing internet) research, and by following the racing and development of this gen Viper, Viper ACR, Viper GTS-R, and Viper GT-3.

The caveats are mostly circumstantial. Will they get good weather for racing? Are they going to book the Nord' (likely) or the Nord+GPcircuit (less likely, though it would be a SLAP in the face to all pretenders to the throne)! Will the cars break? Will God come down and smite the almighty Viper!?! Who knows. They can prepare for all of the contingencies except for being smited.

#4 Muther, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    JayhawkOne likes this.
  5. BASONE88

Supporter

This is sooo great
    It sounds like you have done a lot of research on this. That's really cool! I was thinking the ACR, could conceivably, be faster than the GTLM car..'cause weren't they restricted to run in the class? Can't wait to see what happens!

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

7. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

I'm not a guy that really cares for or follows racing.
    However.
    I find this extremely exciting. Exciting more so cus its like cheering for an underdog.
    Good luck Viper, what a way to go out.

8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

My guess they wanted the best drivers, so who better then the previous 24hr winner and acr lapper

9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2010 Car

2008 Run

10. 73chargerse

73chargerse Well-Known Member

Set the record all while missing a gear at least twice and repeatedly bouncing off the limiter.

11. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

It won't beat the Huracan, that's my prediction. That car is so much faster and the 'Ring has some serious high speed areas. It will have to make up the time through the high speed corners and chicanes. My guess: 6:55.75

12. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

THey "Rev Bang" to save the time for the shift. Sometimes it is faster to rev bang, than it is to take the time to shift, and build the power back up.

BASONE88 likes this.
  13. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I have done detailed statistical analysis. It will beat 6':55.XXX". Period. Even in the rain.

It should be 6'50", at het slowest.

6'45" is my prediction.

I think it will challenge the tie the Macca P1 set.

#13 Muther, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  14. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Your reasoning is sound, but there are few caveats, and unknowns. The Aero kit for both is different. The ACR almost certainly has more downforce, but the GTS-R (GT LeMans car) wont be that far back aero wise. The ACR does have more power, and more torque, which at this track makes a big difference. The GTLM car has all out racing slicks, or varying compound. The ACR's Kumho's are very very good, but not as good as the GTLM's Michelin steam rollers. The GTLM car removes weight, but it offsets most of that with the addition of safety equipment. So, they are close, very close, but I'd give the all out edge to the GTLM car.

That said, the most telling thing is the times that they have run at Laguna Seca. The ACR, with "ballparked" settings, was almost even with the times the GTD car set (Viper GT-3). It was a second or so off of the GTS-R. The GTS-R time was set, during a race, with a very fast driver at the wheel (Dominik Farnbacher, no less), and with settings that were absolutely spot on, and set by one of racings true masters, Bill Riley. The ACR time was set by a Randy Pobst, who in my opinion, is a good racer, but past his prime. There are faster racers (Like Dominic). The ACR did not have "spot on" tuning settings, but it does have more juice.

So, all in all, it may in fact be faster than the GTS-R. I would put it up to the track. ACR has more power, more downforce, less tire, less top speed. The GTS-R has (likely) has less downforce, higher top speed, better tires, less power. And we are not talking cavernous differences here. These are all slight differences. I just enjoy doing the math.

MoparDanno and BASONE88 like this.
  15. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

I hope you're right. BTW, IMHO, that P1 should not be considered the record. I may be wrong, but they took an illegal GTR car and post hoc, made it legal. I wonder if it could be legally driven on American roads. Anyways, I hope you're right.

16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Just for fun....

[​IMG]

2017 Dodge Viper ACR Extreme
    -------------------------------------------
    • 8.4L VIPER V-10 645 Horsepower @ 6,200RPM, 600 Ft-Lbs of Torque @5,000RPM - 6-Speed Manual
    • Brembo 6-Piston Carbon Ceramic Brakes 15-Inches (Front), Brembo 4-Piston Carbon Ceramic Brakes 14-Inches (Rear)
    • Aerodynamic Advantage - 1,763lbs of Downforce @ 177mph
    • Top Speed - 177mph
    • 3,374lbs of Curb Weight
    • Tires: 295/25 ZR 19 (F); 355/30 ZR 19 (R) Kumho Ecsta V720 (Specially for Viper ACR)
    [​IMG]

2010 Dodge Viper ACR Hardcore
    • 8.4L VIPER V-10 600 Horsepower @ 6,100RPM, 560 Ft-Lbs of Torque @5,000RPM - 6-Speed Manual
    • Brembo 4-Piston Vented Disc Brakes 14-Inches (Front), Brembo 4-Piston Vented Disc Brakes 14-Inches (Rear)
    • Aerodynamic Advantage - 1,000lbs of Downforce @ 150mph
    • Top Speed - 202mph
    • 3,379lbs of Curb Weight
    • Tires: 295/30 ZR 18 (F); 345/30 ZR 19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tires
    • Nurburgring Time: 7.22.10
    [​IMG]

2010 Dodge Viper ACR-X (Non-Street Legal)
    • 8.4L VIPER V-10 640 Horsepower @ 6,100RPM, 585 Ft-Lbs of Torque @5,000RPM - 6-Speed Manual
    • Brembo 4-Piston Vented Disc Brakes 14-Inches (Front), Brembo 4-Piston Vented Disc Brakes 14-Inches (Rear)
    • Aerodynamic Advantage - 1,100lbs of Downforce @ 150mph
    • Top Speed - 204mph
    • 3,190lbs of Curb Weight
    • Tires: 295/30 ZR 18 (F); 345/30 ZR 19 Michelin Pilot Slicks
    • Nurburgring Time: 7.03

UN4GTBL and BASONE88 like this.
  17. BASONE88

Supporter

So we had a "Viper Day," in conjunction, with a round of The Pirelli World Challenge in Utah, M.M.S.P. (Miller Motorsports) back in 2011. They ran the PWC race (I think Kunno Witmer got 2nd overall, in his Viper - Randy Pobst might have been first). Then they let some ACR's out on the track - and the fastest ones, had the quickest lap times of the day!

18. mopar22

The down force holds back the top speed doesn't it? If that's the case they can remove or adjust some of that to get a high top speed if they lose too much down teh longer straights.

19. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Why couldn't FCA fund this? Its not like they don't have offices peppered throughout Europe... What does it cost to rent the track for 10 mins?

20. mopar22

Actually the tire company is renting the track for the whole day. And the reason why fca wouldn't fund it is because Segio doesn't like spending money especially on a car no longer being built