Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crowdfunded Viper ’Ring run

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jun 9, 2017.

1. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

7 seconds. You must've been in a Tomahawk. Lol

UN4GTBL, jerseyjoe and tomaz like this.
  2. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

I’m about to fire up the GT6 now....

jerseyjoe and suzq044 like this.
  3. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

Looks like I'm the only one who prefers Forza to GT.

Involuntary shots fired.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

I just play my PS3 more than my xbox (which is currently not connected to the TV). lol -- I like forza for some aspects (like way more Mopar, livery editor) and GT for others (way more concepts, and unique cars, track creation).. and now you make me want to hop on GT6 ~boots up PS3 (PSN: CC_suzq044)

#204 suzq044, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  5. Cody's Car Conundrum

Sees PSN. Doesn't have a PlayStation. Lol

We should probably keep the gaming talk out of this thread. I'm open to PMs though. That aside, we've got some very good news from the Viper Ring Record FB page!

"Two things are official: our 7:03:45 for the very first (and only) lap at the ring, and 2) WE'RE GOING BACK THIS MONTH. Because of the generosity of some sponsors who have stepped up, and because of the Viper Nation's generosity on gofundme, we feel we have enough for the return. I'd like to thank Doug Seal of Willowbrook Chrysler in Canada, Dan Snyder Motorsports, Quaker Chemicals, Clay Robbins Motors, and our continual patron saint, KUMHO TIRES. Without Kumho, we wouldn't be here. Their generosity and support is stunning and I hope that you honor them by choosing their very excellent tires, whenever you can. You have no idea how supportive they have been. THANK YOU KUMHO. Stand by for details of our return. Here's my promise: a lap in the 6's."

6. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

I Play GT3 & 4 on my PS2 lol and with Gameshark. My SRT 4 has 800hp.

7. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

From now on I will try to buy Kumho rubber.Thanks for the support.I have a hard time tracking down where tires are manufactured anyway.A goodyear now is not what a goodyear used to be.

8. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

So with alot of Mistakes, ALOT of mistakes lol I Managed a 7:06 Lap time with a Standard Viper. only mods are Racing Tires, a Wing on its lowest setting, and a Sports Transmission (Closer Ratio).

Sorry i dont have a way to upload directly from PS3.

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  9. Cody's Car Conundrum

You made more mistakes in one race than Justin Bieber has his entire life lol. Actually I take that back, that's not possible on any plane of existence.

Even still, you were hauling it like a freight train through some of turns. That bit where you caught air early on was cool.

Seeing as everyone is sharing their times on the 'Ring, might as well chime in. I hadn't actually done a good clean (without rewinds) lap in God knows how long. But @Muther 's post got me curious. So I set out to see if the 6:42 was even vaguely possible. Got myself a Gen 4 ACR (as I don't have XBLive and couldn't get the Gen V dlc), found a bunch of useful stuff regarding the Gen V ACR's setup and put a such of those settings into the Gen 4 ACR.

Long story short I managed a 6:41. No rewinds, no TCS, no Stability Control, Manual with clutch on, ABS on, Simulation Steering on and other things I'm probably forgetting. And because I haven't mentioned it yet, I did this on FM4.

Even that lap had a few (annoying) mistakes. It took me days to get that time (because the perfectionist in me knew a better lap was possible and wouldn't let me stop trying until I got it).

(Unfortunately I don't have a video of the run because I've wiped my 360 in the hopes of getting a better console. Talk about bad timing huh?)

UN4GTBL and tomaz like this.
  10. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

awww man lol. the funny thing is, i set my power output to 340hp (600lbft though lol) and ran a 7:22. almost faster than the ZL1 lls...

#210 tomaz, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  11. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Kumho is a Korean company. No idea where their tires are made.

As far as the Racing games go, I am on XB1, so I use FM6, soon to be FM7. I also play Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, and Dirt 4. Also, I have found very little correlation between what all these games are modeling, and real life lap times. There is not a lot, that directly corresponds. I have experimented extensively. They are quite fun, though.

So, when they go back, I expect them to try to beat the 6'51.xx" time of the Lambo's Huracan (even though most of the folks who really know, have discredited that time). I don't expect them to try to beat the 6'42" set by the Lanzante Motorsports converted McLaren P1-GTR/P1-LM ('technically' street legal, 'for Europe', but in no way a production car).

Hitting a 6'50" will be pretty darned hard.

12. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Kumho Manufacturing Facilities

3 Plants in South Korea
    3 Plants in China
    1 Plant in Vietnam
    1 Plant in the US (Macon, GA)

Origin of manufacture is normally show in the tire. All of the V720’s are made in South Korea, IIRC.

Mike

13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

There are two versions Kumho tyres for Viper, the Ecsta V720 and Ecsta V720 ACR.
    The last one offers increased performances.
    That tyres are even faster than some slick ones of other manufacturers..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UN4GTBL and AlfaCuda like this.
  14. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Yes, all made in South Korea, IIRC.

Mike

15. Cody's Car Conundrum

Wow, I didn't even know detuning an engine was possible in GT6. That's definitely something you can't do in Forza haha! Speaking of which, I had to add HP to the Gen 4 ACR to reach the HP levels (and torque levels) of the Gen 5.

Rfactor 2 might be the closest you can possibly get right now to "realistic" physics right now.
    I only have Rfactor 1 but the amount of high-quality mods are amazing! Although the game takes up way too much space for my liking on my terrible PC.

Speaking of Kumho. The fronts on ACRs don't last very long at all. Some ACR (Extreme) owners have said that the tires look pretty worn after just one track day! One!

The tires are fast but dang do they wear quickly.

16. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I would say iracing is as close as you can get. It's of only but everything is scanned or right from the manufactures and they work with racer teams to make sure the car handles correctly nad get as close to possible to lap times on the real life tracks. They just added dirt, Nurburgring, Le Mans track, and a few other things. It cost a decent amount but many racers use it.

17. Cody's Car Conundrum

Huh, seems like I should give IRacing a look then. Thanks for the information!

18. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I would strongly suspect their set up is faulty. You are describing almost toxic levels of push/understeer. Driving technique can also be at fault. They need to loosen the front ARB, the teighten the rear ARB, raise the front (relative to the back), and correct their toe, etc, etc.

I suspect, also, that they are running too much front DF. Brake proportioning can affect that too. Also look at caster, camber, and toe. Too much toe will scrub the fronts to nothing lickety split.

With a car as adjustable as an ACR, it is very, very easy to get it all out of whack, adjusting the wrong thing to try to correct for something the car is doing, or trying to correct for poor driving technique.

With high DF cars, it is best to start with the DF at minimum settings. Then, when you really get the thing rotating, start adding DF and upping spring.

Read, "How to Make Your Car Handle", and consult the SRT. I am sure they would hook a guy up with starter settings for a given track.

#218 Muther, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  19. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Not to start a poodle fight, but in Forza-FM6 going forward, all tracks are laser scanned to sub millimeter accuracy. The cars are 100% digitized, scanned,and dyno'd by the studio. They use customzed tire/friction data from the company that makes the tire test equipment.

As games go, Forza is pretty good. I enjoy it the most. While they are all fun, none of them compare to the real thing. Taking turn 1 at Sonoma, at full chat in an ACR (2010) doing somewhere in the range of 120+mph will separate the boys from the men, and the fearless, from the fearful.

Being a father, and husband, and far from good enough to make a living at it, I now get my jollies racing in XBox1.

UN4GTBL and Cody's Car Conundrum like this.
  20. Cody's Car Conundrum

It's funny you mention that, right at the start of the ACR's reveal a lot of those guys were saying that Dodge should offer a PDF or something with all the recommended settings for the 13 tracks they set records at.

And you're completely right about doing it in a game doesn't compare to doing it in reality. My hands can tell you that much from go-karting at Action Karting a little while ago (my hands were crying afterwards haha).