Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crowdfunded Viper ’Ring run

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jun 9, 2017.

1. BEEAH

BEEAH Active Member

She sets another track record. :D

Dodge Viper ACR Sets Another Lap Record - Viper ACR Lap Record (at http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a10000517/dodge-viper-acr-sets-lap-record/ )

2. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

The Nissan GT model required 110K dollars worth of suspension and SPECIAL TIRES, which they claim that any consumer can buy it. Sure...like buying two cars vice opting for this option. Same goes the claimed to fame Lexus LS, which also require over 100K dollars of special opted suspension/tire package. None of which were inspected after the runs for tampering (Nissan is famous for this and should have been life time suspended from the early runs it made with the GT) on these claimed production models. Even the Honda Civic was highly modified to make the run and the fan boys use it to making fabricated claims when in reality, this car in stock form (including all the interior pieces), wouldn't even come close. Amazing how people do not research on the real outcome...however, every ring record should require outside source for certification to be a real production model and not tampered. If not! Makes it null voided.

Cody's Car Conundrum and Dave Z like this.
  3. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I am sure with a few well placed phone calls, email, or snails (regular old letter), you could get the hook up. These are factory engineers, designers, technicians, and whatever, many of whom race, all of whom are interested in promoting their brand.

Plus, a smart fella should get the hang of goofing around with all those settings in short order. Just make ONE change at a time, and make it a small/incremental change. If it does not correct the problem (make the car faster and more consistent), then go back.

About the only adjustment the ACR lacks is an adjustable E-Diff, and a brake proportioning valve (or does it have a valve, either way, that's an easy fix, an E-diff, not so much).

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  4. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

I'll have to remember this for when I get my ACR... 10+ years later that is haha. I also need to get that book you suggested..... So many books, so little free time lol.

Side Note: Apparently I actually do have the replays from my intense hot-lapping session at the 'Ring. Only downside is I already have my XB360 packaged up and I don't want unpack it all again (I had forgot to wipe the hard drive the first team, so I had to do that. Not my greatest moment lol). Upside is the files are on a hard drive. If anyone wanted to see the lap times bad enough then just hit me up via PM and I'll happily fork over the files.

5. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

"How to Make Your Car Handle" is equally applicable in digital racing as in is in the physical world. It's almost as if the makers of all the race sims read that book, then wrote their game engines accordingly.

That said, the basic principles apply, not neccesarily numerical settings. For instance, the spring rates in the ACR digital and ACR physical are (likely) not the same. However, relative changes in each are directly proportional, and create the same effect in each car, in spite of the numbers and scaling being different.

That said again, there are basic abnormalities between the race sims and the physical world. For instance. I have (tried) to drive an 800 hp car in the real world in a brisk, even fast and aggressive manner. It was difficult to say the least. In race sims, I can drive a car with even more power, and less grip, wickedly fast. Most of that is due to the "sand box" nature of race sims, some is due to the "drove it like you stole it" nature of digital racing. In other words, in physical racing the price paid for failure is a lot higher than the price paid for failure in digital racing. I am nowhere near as brave at Phyisical Laguna Seca, as I am Digital Laguna Seca!

6. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

That's what racing schools are for man! And brave pills....

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

8. humdrum

humdrum Well-Known Member

Wow, I have to catch my breath after that!

9. BEEAH

BEEAH Active Member

Loosely related to topic.

Ralph flogging his ACR!

suzq044 and Cody's Car Conundrum like this.
  10. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Sucks the factory can't back the effort. It would be nice if the factory could at least donate money towards the effort.

11. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Does anyone know when they will try again?

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

13. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Go over to Torque News dot com. Patrick Rall has an article there saying they are headed back over THIS WEEK.

This time they have three drivers, Dominic Farnbacher, Luca Stotlz, and Dom's brother Mario. All three are top tier drivers, and all three call the Nordschleife their home

They are already very confident that they can beat the 6:57 set by the Porsche 918, which stands to reason, as the 2017 Viper GTS-R ACR Extreme (there's the goofy FCA naming again) has been proven to be faster than the Porsche at a number of tracks.

The only question is, can they eat the Lambo's (somewhat questionable) time of 6:52? The Lamborghini has active aero (huge advantage), same power, but a huge disadvantage in torque. Tires? I'd give that to Viper.

Either way, Viper would have to shave a second per mile, in order to do it.

14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The Lamborghini Huracan Performante is also an all-wheel-drive vehicle.

15. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Kinda hard for a factory to supply any type of cash when it's no longer running technically

16. BASONE88

Supporter

Sounds like the Vipers are done with their run and track conditions were good. No news. Waiting..

17. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Where did you hear this. I cannot find anything on it?

18. BASONE88

Supporter

Minutes Ago#677Vegaskid
    [​IMG]Enthusiast[​IMG][​IMG]

Yeah, track conditions looked good....bit worried about no news posted yet...hopefully the cars didn't fall apart on the track...

On the other hand...maybe they broke 7 and want to make sure everything is kosher before blasting it out to the world...

Wishing for the best.
    (This is from Driveviper.com)

#238 BASONE88, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    GasAxe likes this.
  19. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am taking no news as good news. Every time they have had something go wrong, they announce it quickly.

If it gets out they are done, and there is no news, then the pressure starts building.

I am taking the stance that the longer they wait, the better the news. They already knew that they, at a minimum, left five to six seconds out on the track.

The big question is, did they leave thirteen seconds on the track during their last visit.

IIRC, my original math, projected (very out on a shaky limb extrapolation) a 6:50 run.

BASONE88 likes this.
  20. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

ugh?

My original prediction was 6:50 at the slowest, but 6:45 official. So, I guess I may have been a little optimistic.

(***goes back, covers tracks, makes excuses for childish optimism.)