Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crowdfunded Viper ’Ring run

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jun 9, 2017.

1. BASONE88

Supporter

"We're not done yet," confirms Bernie Katz, co-founder of Viper Exchange. "The sweet spot in the weather is out there, and we have a small opportunity next week to try and find it. The car has a six-minute fifty-something in there, and we're still trying to find it."

MoparJoe, UN4GTBL and redriderbob like this.
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

The guy from Bridge to Gentry got to run one of the Viper ACRs at the ring... pretty cool!

MPE426HEMI and BASONE88 like this.
  3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

4. BASONE88

Supporter

That car sounds soo good! What do we guess..50 to 60 miles an hour? And the car is just idling along! I see somebody added Mario's name with a sharpie!:p

5. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

LOL real good stuff

wtxiceman likes this.
  6. BASONE88

Supporter

This is from DriveViper.com:

Russ Oasis
    [​IMG]VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Guys, I just read the thread. First of all, I want you to know how hard we're all working. None of us gets more than 5 hours of sleep a night. We have had all sorts of problems, ranging from needing more tires (and DHL doesn't deliver them) to moist (from fog) track conditions in the morning. There is a lot of truth in what many of your posts say and a lot of BS in what many of your posts say. Dale Lomas, the journalist for "Road & Track," is an expert at The Ring. He is the paid Jaguar Ring Taxi driver, and you can take it from me, he knows what he's doing (read: is an excellent driver) and has seen everything here. He told us that we are crazy to think that we can book an hour or two or there and expect to beat Porsche, who spent WEEKS at the track with their full compliment of engineers, drivers, and three cars, waiting for the exact right conditions. How many 7:03's do you think they ran before they got a lap like a 6:57? If we had their budget, I'd be happy to stay here and keep trying until we hit the ideal day. Everybody is working for free to get this done. Many of the guys, like Bernie Katz, Joe Kallas, and Dick Winkles, are away from their paying jobs to make this happen. If you want my opinion of the pivotal issue, it does have to do with tires. The Kumhos are the closest thing to a race tire that's street legal. They are very soft, sticky, and good. The thing that is their advantage on shorter tracks, is our disadvantage at the Ring. We are overheating them. They were not designed for 13 mile long single laps (with VERY rough pavement) in extreme summer temps. When we go out for a flyer, you must do one lap to warm them up and then go for it. That's 26 miles at this track. That's like doing ELEVEN hard laps at Mid Ohio. Would you want to try to set a Mid Ohio record on the ELEVENTH lap? Dale Lomas said that if we camped out and could catch the exact right day where it wasn't so hot that we over-cooked the tires, we'd cut 5 seconds off our time (that would be a 6:58). I can't express how great and supportive ALL the guys from Kumho have been. They have given us as many tires as we want, and even chipped in for us to come back the second time. THEY see that the car and tires will do it, we just need the same advantages that the factory supported teams get. No matter what happens, here's what you need to know: There is a 6:58 in this car on Kumho street tires. Kumho is the greatest supporter of Viper in the world, and we did this on a shoe string budget. I guess I didn't realize that was the case when we started. Ben Keating warned me that it was going to be much more expensive than I had planned and he was right. We still have a couple of bullets in our gun. If our load of fresh tires finally shows up from DHL, we have 2, maybe 3 more flyers on the track this week. Of course, you need to pray for weather. Guys, I'll put our Vipers against ANY of the best exotics. The fact that there's even a competition between a million dollar Porsche and a $140,000 Viper, says it all. Thanks for the support and don't think that because we don't post the times every second that we don't care or are holding back....we're just really busy trying to get set up for our next attempt. A special thanks to Bernie who is sharing this burden, the drivers who show up at their own expense, and the crew who left their jobs and homes to help us because they love the car. It ain't over yet. Pray for DHL shipments and good weather. PS If you know of anyone who hasn't contributed, please urge them to....we could use it.
    PPS A GUESS, is that the car is a 6:54 or :55 on slicks on the right day.

BEEAH, Smitman, Mopar Jerry and 6 others like this.
  7. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Great effort guys!

BASONE88 likes this.
  8. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Awesome job. So glad to see how much a group of people with similar ambition can get done.

Glad to see people can work together for the greater good.

I am impressed and am quite happy with their results. I am even more impressed that they want to succeed and are still fighting.

BASONE88 and ScramFan like this.
  9. BASONE88

Supporter

10. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Sucks they can't seem to get a break luck-wise. Either weather or tech problems. This time, a bad tire.

11. BASONE88

Supporter

Yep to that!

Remember, they had issues in both, previous, record attempts - 2008 and 2011. 2008 was gearing issues, I believe. 2011 they not only had a Viper completely fail - but they also ran out of time with the other car. As fate would have it, Ron Howard gave them some extra time; Record Set.:)

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Statement from the team released two hours ago...

Friday Update: Today is our last day at the track. WOW, talk about emotional highs and lows. Since Dom and Mario were racing this weekend, Luca was in one car and we had another. After some due diligence, we found one of the fastest Ring drivers, Lance Arnold, who joined us in the second car. We also found 5 hours of track time, with a group that was renting the track for their club day. Both Luca and Lance were on track and Luca failed to come around the track. He had a tire failure at a high speed (left front) on the final straight. We put some fresh rubber on his car and sent him back out. Unfortunately, the next thing that happened was our own fault. In changing the differential fluid, the drain plug was only finger tightened and mistake slipped through the cracks. Oil leaked out until there was too little left in the diff and it broke. We were now down to one car. Rain was predicted for 1PM and our solo track time was 2PM. I cut a deal with the track days owner to let us go out at noon and we’d give him our 30 minutes at 2PM. We re-prepped Lance's car, put fresh tires on it and waited. He went out at 12 noon. On his first lap he turned a (wait for it......) 7:01.3. We were elated. We couldn't wait to see the time for his second lap. It was then that we were informed that there was a problem. Apparently, his left front tire (like Luca's) had a sidewall failure at about 160 mph while he was in a corner. He ALMOST saved it but the car brushed the left guard rail ever so lightly. At that speed, anything that upsets the car is bad, so it slid across the track and contacted the right guard rail. While it definitely wasn't the worst incident in the world, Vipers with broken parts are never pretty. The airbag went off and all of that (that's what happens when you run production cars). Lance was fine but bummed out because he felt the car was ready to best the 6:57 mark. He did the 7:01.3 on his FIRST lap.

I want to point out that the cost of all of the damage now falls on Bernie and Ben at Viper Exchange, who own the car. This is why I found it odd that some folks were saying that Viper Exchange would profit on selling these cars when we were done with the record runs. Any possible profits will be used to repair the car that contacted the armco. The gofundme donations will pay 1) the track for repair to the rail and 2) the owner of the track-day because we took up 1.5 of his hours instead of 1 and he asked that we compensate him, which is fair.

So, there you have it. Our big adventure to the Nurburgring comes to an end. We have not had a driver who feels that the car is not a mid 6:50's car. I think that we asked a bit much of the tires on this particular track. There's a reason it’s called "The Green Hell." Viper Nation, we did the best we could with what we had to work with. It's hard not being supported by the factory in any way. We did it with YOUR gofundme contributions, tires and funds by Kumho, spare engines by Prefix (fortunately we didn't need them), 2 complete and free cars from Viper Exchange and BJ Motors, and other generous donations by members of the Viper community. So many donations, that the only way to list those who gave more than $250 is on the poster, which we will start working on. I will try to write a post-script from the plane, on the way back to the states.
    We will post the video and data shortly. Our data guy is on vacation and we have to figure out how to get it off the drive. As soon as we do, we'll post it.
    Again, thank you all and please know that the only thing that kept us apart from a 6:5x was time and money.

Smitman, Hemidakota and UN4GTBL like this.
  13. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

While sad, this was an incredible effort they put the Viper right up there with the best in the world. I just can't believe these guys keep setting records on their FIRST LAPS! It's insane to think that the ACR is going that fast on its first outings. Congrats everyone! What a journey.

Dave Z likes this.
  14. BASONE88

Supporter

Great job Viper Nation! Thank you so much for your efforts to send the 2017 Viper out on a high note! 7:01:3.

GasAxe and UN4GTBL like this.
  15. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

So wish that FCA got behind this effort. However, they did a superb job and proved, doubtlessly, this car is still impressive in its final year.

suzq044 and UN4GTBL like this.
  16. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Sucks with the bad luck every attempt; but even with the luck, they managed 7:01.3 .. definitely not bad for a fan-financed series of attempts. It would've been nice for Dodge to hop on board for that last trial, but alas.

UN4GTBL and BASONE88 like this.
  17. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The tires are the one thing for which I had not accounted. I just figured that the tires would be there. I thought they were a non issue.

What they said makes perfect sense. If they went with a full race tire, that would have allowed them to go lots faster, simply because they could take the heat.

The car is literally too fast for its tires

Devildodge, UN4GTBL and BASONE88 like this.
  18. gary longo

gary longo Active Member

Awesome attempt...without factory support! The Viper went out with a bang. Wish this wasn't the last chapter :( Such an awesome car!!!!!!

19. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

That is definitely the most (I should have my mouth washed for using such words) thing I've read about the ACR thus far.

The second (not on Allpar) being "This car sets records for records.... Dang."

20. hotmach

Level 2 Supporter

Glad everyone is safe. Credit to all involved for such an endeavour.

UN4GTBL and BASONE88 like this.