AF: Cruise Control question-2012 Patriot Sport | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruise Control question-2012 Patriot Sport

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by TommyDodge, Sep 2, 2020.

1. TommyDodge

TommyDodge Well-Known Member

We recently bought a 2nd key for the Patriot since it only came with 1 key and a key from the local dealer was almost $175. including tax and fees. The local locksmith made a key that operates the car but does not unlock the power locks plus a key that only unlocks the door without doing anything else for $90, to prevent lockout.
    The cruise control no longer works with either key and I was wondering if there is an inline fuse for the cruise control? The local dealer is not all that friendly when it comes to questions, I was lucky to find out about bluetooth capability by giving them the vin number without cost. The vehicle just turned 112,000 miles and when I push the button on the steering wheel there is no light on the dash that indicates that the cruise is on.
    So far the only problem with the Patriot is that the outside mirrors are smaller than I would like. We have put 14,000 miles on it since it was purchased compared to 1,200 miles on my 1997 Dodge Ram. Thanks in advance for your help. TommyDodge

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

You have a mechanical, metal key integrated with a key fob with multiple buttons. One circuit inside the fob provides security information (sentry key immobilizer) that prevents theft / unwanted operation of the vehicle ignition system. The locksmith was able to program it such that at start up, the system through radio frequency signals interrogates the security code in the key fob, the fob responds with a code to the security system. The code is compared to existing codes programmed into the system and if a valid match is made, allows the vehicle to continue running.

The remote, keyless entry that allows locking / unlocking the vehicle from the fob is different circuitry. The locksmith did not or was not able to program this information to enable this feature. A Chrysler dealership should be able to do this but for a fee.

The key fob has nothing to do with the cruise control function. The white symbol for the cruise control function should illuminate with the key ON and engine running when the switch is pushed. Either the ON / OFF button on the cruise switch has failed / dirty or corroded contacts or the clock spring wire in the steering column that carries the signals for the cruise control feature is broken. I would suspect the switch first.

The cruise control switch communicates directly with the PCM (powertrain control module). There is no separate fused circuit for this feature.

3. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Some fault codes will prevent cruise control operation (for safety reasons). Any stored codes?
    An alien key that isn't fully recognized may introduce security-related faults.