Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cummins 68RFE, AISIN Transmission troubles.

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, commercial trucks' started by andybuzz2u, Dec 14, 2017.

1. andybuzz2u

andybuzz2u Member

What is up with all the newer model Cummins transmissions FCA uses? My brothers 2016 3500 Aisin AS69RC transmission puked out at 56,678 miles and my nephews 2014 2500 68RFE poped at 96,456. I was thinking about buying a 2018 3500 but not if they are having all these transmission troubles. And this is a rampant issue!

2. scatpack_69

scatpack_69 Active Member

No, no it isn't rampant. They both are good transmissions and last a very long time.

I cannot attest to how your two examples have been driven or treated, and you probably can't either. I also can't attest to them being stock or tuned and beat on.

Let's hop off the "bad transmission" bandwagon.

#2 scatpack_69, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2017
  3. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Yes I too.. thought the same but have learned different.. besides the possibility of these trans being hammered on, the other issue is programming. If someone was to say that there is a weak spot, then it would have to be the tail end (4,5,6 gears) but with that said the tail end of these trannies are only the weak spot when things are not set up right or the trans was hammered on.... lots. Go to the Sonnex sight for some very good reading and an understanding. One other thing to consider is the tow/haul button, I asked myself "am I using this correctly" What conditions do you drive in, slowing down/speeding up for rough roads... stop starts lots... rapid temp changes. Roads with snow, ruts and pot holes I use tow/haul.

Devildodge and somber like this.
  4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Couple weeks ago I was trudging through 2 feet plus of snow and after getting out of the trails, the smell of heat was present. Went to my dealer asap, and found out the viscous fan clutch was shot .. from what the mechanic told me these will go after 60,000kms ... so there is a possibility that this could cause overheating in the transmission.

Devildodge likes this.
  5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There have been a couple of TCM software updates that may improve the longevity and certainly will improve both 'harsh' and 'flaring' shift quality. Harsh shifting is a driveline shock and flare is a slipping clutch. With the immense torque of a diesel, this can shorten life of an otherwise robust transmission. I went to school for these about 10 years ago and was impressed by their brute strength and torque capacity.
    TSB # 21-004-16A is discussed here:
    TSBs 21-004-16 and 18-054-16 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (at http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/2190962-tsbs-21-004-16-18-054-16-a.html )
    TSB # 21-013-15 for older trucks is here:
    https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/TSB/21-013-15.pdf