AF: Dakota | Page 13 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dakota

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by vipergg, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Nordique

Nordique Member

You're suggesting the Dakota could possibly be a Ford "Maverick" pickup competitor instead of the Ranger?

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It is purely a guess on my part for two reasons:
    1) The small (possibly FWD based) truck format is something that can be sold worldwide. It would be a lower seller in the US, but the marginal cost would be smaller since it could be sold elsewhere and use more existing parts. I'm guessing this is Ford's model with the rumored Maverick.
    2) FCA seems to be interested in increasing Gladiator sales by adding value packages and incentives. If they move Gladiator to more mainstream pricing, it makes it harder to justify a Dakota as a less expensive option to Gladiator.
    All I can say is this:
    Based on a study of numbers I did some time back, the current growth rate in the midsize pickup market has been double the growth rate of the fullsize pickups over the past several years. Yes, the fullsize market is much larger, but it's not growing that fast.
    Maybe Ford and others think this means an even smaller offering has a chance?

page2171, tlc and Nordique like this.
  3. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

In the last year or so I have seen rumors that the new rumored Dakota would share the Gladiator chassis with a independent suspension, standard 2wd, possibly 2 cab choices (not removevable) and a lower price, more mainstream midsize. Their have also been rumors and request for a compact lifestyle truck possibly based on one of the trucks available in other markets, this could even be fwb based. I would love it if Ram would offer 3 sizes of pickups like they once did and like Ford is doing with the rumored Maverick compact fwb based P/U.

4. Nordique

Nordique Member

With pickups outselling passenger vehicles for the first time ever last month, I think that'd be a wise business strategy.

Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars in the US for the first time ever last month as buyers flock toward bigger vehicles (at https://www.businessinsider.com/pickup-trucks-outsell-passenger-cars-april-us-sales-first-time-2020-5 )

tabutler and Chris mopar like this.
  5. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

There is a rumor that Chevrolet will only offer a 2.7 turbo 4 in the Colorado next year, killing off the 6 cylinder and diesel.
    That could end up biting them big time. I have been considering a mid size pickup myself (the Gladiator isn't what I'm looking for).
    With no mid size Ram I was looking at the Colorado or Canyon. But the thought of a turbo 4 for something that carries and tows isn't my cup of tea.
    Can't bite the bullet right now and get one due to being between jobs.
    If there was hard news with firm dates from FCA I'd soldier on with my 19 year old XJ until a Dakota came out.

6. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

I would be completely behind a three tiered pickup strategy.
    1. COMPACT—urban workhorse
      • Based off the next generation Promaster City
      • Hopefully built in Mexico
      • 1800lbp payload capacity
      • minimal towing capacity
      • I4 diesel, hybrid gas and BEV versions
      • COE/compact nose design
      • 2 door extended cab only
      • Standard 6’ Rambox with optional drop side/tilt beds.
    2. Midsized—lifestyle pickup
      • Based off of modified Gladiator chassis
      • Built in Toledo
      • Metric ton capacity for us and foreign markets.
      • Emphasis on towing capacity for domestic market.
      • Traditional layout with aggressive/sporty design
      • I4 & I6 gas, I4 diesel, hybrid and BEV versions
      • quadcab and extended cab available
      • Short and long bed Rambox
    3. Full-size—work/play truck
      • Continuation of existing line 1500/2500/3500
      • Continued traditional “big rig” styling
      • I6 & V8 gas, I6 diesel, hybrid versions.

7. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

The midsize should caravan or pacifica base. Useing the caravan will keep it in tjhe low 20;s. Useing the gladiator it would be a gas hog and cost to much.

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

People aren't buying the minivan based pickups that exist.

tlc and page2171 like this.
  9. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Can be done also now. There are several versions of chassis cab Fiat Doblò for transformation.

One version is used in Doblò Work Up.
    Payload capacity is 1,005 kg (2215 lbs)

In this photo of the Doblò Work Up one can see where there is floor of cargo area.
    Where there is the Doblò logo over the rear plate there is a door with a tunnel where can be carried tools.
    Cargo area is 2300 mm (90.55") x 1818 mm (71.57").
    [​IMG]

Doblò is based on an architecture of Small family (longer and wider).

Ot there is Fiat Toro, that is till B pillar as Renegade / 500X / ... but a different rear and a suspension similar to the one of Doblò.
    Toro is based on Small Wide architecture.

Toro payload for diesel version is 1,000 kg (2,204 lbs).

#249 MJAB, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    somber likes this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The problem with the Doblo Work Up is a substantially higher load floor height than a normal pickup truck. It's really more like a flat bed truck than a pickup.

Edit: From the manufacturer specs the load floor is 36" (910mm) off the ground for Work Up. A Ram 1500 pickup (2WD) is only 21.5". So every item you put in a workup needs to be lifted 15" more than for a Ram 1500. This will make it a no-go for most people.

#250 valiant67, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
    page2171 likes this.
  11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The Doblò Work Up is only an example.
    Work Up, as vailant67 wrote, is a flat bed. It is made to have a flat cargo area, usually loaded by forklift and with all three sides that can be tilted.

It is built over this
    [​IMG]

When the men in the video opens the rear door for put in the shove, that is aproximately the height of "real base" area.

voiceofstl and somber like this.
  12. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

The Doblo Work Up would not be a sales success in the North American market. It would be fine to sell for fleets, but they are not going to sell these to private owners.

A midsize truck in the NA market has to be the family sedan, garden tool, and adventure vehicle wrapped into a comfortable, reasonably priced, good-looking/rugged package with the perceived reliability of a Toyota Camry. Do those things, and you just might have a sales success.

AvengerGuy likes this.
  13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Doblò Work Up is sold in Europe is a work vehicle.
    The brand is Fiat Professional and has its network of dealers (some sell also passengers cars like Fiat, Abarth, Jeep, Lancia or Alfa Romeo).

Sales of Doblò Work Up are not so much, most perfer to spend more and get a Ducato flatbed; the smaller of which is few inches longer, but is wider and allows to transport 3 persons in single cab version.
    The Ducato is available in many different configurations of wwheelbase, engines, .. ...

For agricolture use or construction sector very small companies or single person business can choose the Work Up (also since there is no more the Strada pickup).
    The others, if they have enough money to spend, prefer to purchase the Iveco Daily flatbed (or tipper).
    In last years the sales of Fiat Ducato flatbed increased.

freshforged likes this.
  14. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Yup, well aware of the Work up. I’m not enamored with having to import them from Turkey and would like a better integrated design, thus my suggestion of Mexico and a next generation product.

page2171 likes this.
  15. voiceofstl

if they build it they will buy

16. voiceofstl

very useful truck

17. voiceofstl

I can see the pic, the floor hieght is lower the the average pickup, you must be talking about a 1990 ram 1500 2wd

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Those are the current (2020) specs.
    And it's not the passenger floor, it's the load floor specs.

#258 valiant67, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    page2171 likes this.
  19. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

They already do, it's called the Honda Ridgeline, and it doesn't sell.

tlc, tabutler and valiant67 like this.
  20. voiceofstl

Price is to high. A Caravan base can sell in low 20.s