AF: Dakota | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dakota

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by vipergg, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

I hate having to claim I am a millennial because I sure as sh*t don't function like my generation does.

To stay on topic it would be cool to see the return of the Dakota but do we need another $50,000 3.6L vehicle?

2. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Don’t kid yourself, it’s cheaper to have a screen control all the functions then to have decent switch gear. The shame is they have convinced the buyers that a big screen is a luxury. There is starting to be some blow back from the magazines about taking your eyes off the road to scroll for access to every system. There are studies now that question the safety of the screen controls.

vipergg, jclick and Tony K like this.
  3. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Well, people said Smartphones would never sell, yet here we are carrying around as much computing power in our hands as a Space Shuttle did in 1985. Think about how long it takes to go someplace you've never been using Google maps on a smartphone using its full capability, then do it with a paper map, by yourself while driving.

With cars and SUVs, that's more often than not the case, but with trucks, there's a business case to be made, at least, and that's how it has been marketed on the commercial side anyway. I've gotten non-farm work done sitting in a corn field in a truck while waiting to complete the load, with a Surface Pro connecting to the WWW through my Smartphone. Imagine if all that was integrated into the truck.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Well, since the new Ram 1500 starts at $33k USD and change, I wouldn't know why a Dakota would be more expensive, but they're not going to be substantially cheaper, since the cost of materials isn't that much different from a 1500. You're Canadian, right? My guess is $40k CAD. Ram Classics are only $5k USD cheaper than new Rams because they use older, mature, paid-for tech and production facilities.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  5. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Response time and menu layers are the problems with touch screens. In the old days of knobs and buttons everything was right there, no digging around to find a control, knobs and buttons responded as fast as the hand and fingers could move.
    Now it is press and hold and scroll through multiple layers of screens. That is the problem.

wvutuba, Bob Lincoln and jclick like this.
  6. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Never used to care if I'd smudge a knob or button. But on a Touchscreen ?!!? You don't have to be close to notice.

And you are too right about screen navigating gestures.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

You practically need a "co-pilot/navigator" to operate the screen for you as you drive.

vipergg and Bob Lincoln like this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

My Ram has physical switches for the heated seats, you have to reach down among several similar switched and press it twice to turn off the heated seat. About the only way to know you have the correct switch is to glance down and see the LEDs lit on the switch.

The Grand Cherokee has a driver’s seat icon on the lower part of the touchscreen. Two taps and it is off. It’s less distracting than the physical switch on the Ram.

9. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

The Dodge Dakota needs to be a cheap light pickup, preferably with a 2 door option, to lead a new direction for the light sport truck market.
    Appeal to the adventure youth market.
    I could see a modified Grand Cherokee base as a 2 door pickup, just big enough for a dirt bike or atv in the back.
    We use to put dirt bikes in our aussie utes, and they were car based.
    Should be relatively cheap and easy to produce, just turn the rear "Station Wagon" area into a ute...just like the old days.
    Use the V6 and V8s already available, and any hybrid tech to come.
    Should be easy for a company like Chrysler to produce quickly.
    Make them in High impact colours, manual and auto, etc.
    :cool:

UN4GTBL and Devildodge like this.
  10. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

If they actually finally come through with the Hyunda Santa Cruz, that would come somewhat close. The original concept Santa Cruz cab was like the 1990's Dodge Ram Quad Cab - remember? It had rear Suicide doors which would latch when the regular doors would close ... Now, Pretty much all the trucks ( lifestyle or whathaveyou ) are crew style 4-doors.

11. GuidoFL

GuidoFL Well-Known Member

Dropping the Dakota was a big blunder as far as I'm concerned it was "right sized". The Asians took over the small PU truck segment as it handed to them. The RAM has morphed into for all practical matters a commercial vehicle better suited for towing and hauling then a grocery geter. With prices soaring out of sight what the market will do is the question ?

12. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The name of the brand of light duty NAFTA market trucks formerly known as Dodge Trucks, is now Doge Trucks Oh Yeah Ram Trucks.

So the new 1500 should be called The Dodge Oh Yeah Ram 1500.

13. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The problem with the Dakota, and other smaller than full size trucks, is that they take production capacity away from full size trucks. Why produce a lower priced less than full sized truck, when you can devote that production capacity to a higher priced, higher margin full size truck, and you are selling everything you can make?

The only way less than full sized trucks make business sense is when you have the extra factories to build them, and they can fetch a high enough price so you can make money on them.

Right now, there are other, higher priority vehicles that FCA needs to build. I’d love to see a new Dakota, but I just don’t see it happening, unless it can be made at an open factory, in a lower wage country, which I would be a hard sell here (imo).

wtxiceman and GasAxe like this.
  14. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

You are wrong

the problem with Dakota was that it did not sell well since 2006.

Adventurer55 likes this.
  15. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

No one has ever really commented much on how the final Dakota came to be. I remember at the time it looked as though it was going to be discontinued then this abomination showed up. It was like Daimler gave them a small amount and said make this cheaply and as ugly as u can get.

XRT2SRT, wtxiceman and CherokeeVision like this.
  16. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

The problem with the Dakota was that it got too big, there is a market for a small cheap truck like the original Dakota. I don’t think Dodge will build a small cheap truck ever again when they can sell a bloated and loaded full size truck for big money. This will leave FCA vulnerable in the next downturn. Let’s face it, FCA is trying to be a upscale manufacturer, not a volume manufacturer.

17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Despite being “cheap and ugly” the last generation Dakota was a heck of a good truck. So was the no longer related second generation Durango. The designs were really good mechanically, but the exterior styling and interior styling and materials were lacking.

18. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

That's the sad part. If it had gotten a makeover in 2011 like the rest of the lineup I'm not sure we'd be having this discussion. Pentastar plus 8sp, would've matched up well.

XRT2SRT, wtxiceman and cdjr77 like this.
  19. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yep. In its last iteration, the Dakota was nearly as big as the Ram - about 7/8's of a Ram. And for only a few dollars more a full size Ram with Hemi with nearly the same options was available. I think it would work out to only $20-$50/month difference in the payments.

voiceofstl, wtxiceman and GasAxe like this.
  20. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Nobody is arguing the tech doesn't have a place and use.

Our gripe is those of us who don't want it, won't use it and don't want to pay fix it are being forced to pay for this crap. The people who like it and use it should pay extra for it. Not make us all pay for it.

vipergg likes this.