AF: Dakota | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dakota

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by vipergg, Nov 27, 2019.

1. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Question is would people pay $25, $30, $35,000 for high margined trims on a truck the size of the Frontier?

The 4 door Frontier Quad Cab is all the truck I need size wise, but I don't want a truck straight out of 2004 fit and finish wise.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

If a low option truck is not available in local inventory, in theory you should be able to. However, most consumers (vs customers - there is a difference) usually want to buy and drive that day and not wait 6-8 weeks (or longer).

jclick likes this.
  3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I'd pay 18 grand for a "brand new" 2004 Dakota.

4. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Two problems: nobody can legally sell a "brand new" 2004 Dakota due to EPA and FMVSS changes, and the market for "brand new" 2004 Dakotas can't be that good, at least not good enough to justify building it.

5. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

You know what I meant...The size of the Dakota.....and with a 3.6 its a winner.

CherokeeVision, Panterasr9 and jclick like this.
  6. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

I understand I have unpopular demand. That still doesn't mean I shouldnhappily overpay just because everyone else is swindled by shiny toys and gimmicks.

CherokeeVision and jclick like this.
  7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

They stumbled on to that when they kept the DS alive. It's a good truck that fills many people's needs. So it lives on.

8. hmk123

Level III Supporter

So far I don’t see many Rangers around here. Colorado once in a while. How have these been selling and are they here to stay or gone in a few years?

9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I have only seen two or three Rangers and about a half a dozen Colorado's in my area (east central VA). Most pickups are either Ram's, Silverado's or F150's. Note - I am in a very rural area.

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Ranger is in third place in small truck sales, behind Toyota and Chevrolet. It will probably stay around given its growing popularity.
    For Q3, Ranger sold about 26k units, and is at about 50k for the year (so sales really didn't ramp up strong until Q3).
    Colorado sold 31k in Q3, but is around 97k for the year.

hmk123 likes this.
  11. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

You assume. Say what you mean.

12. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

First of all, you are one PRESUMPTIVE person. Second, do you LIKE stirring up things?

Sorry, but that's how the world works, especially in MASS PRODUCTION vehicles. You want something out of the ordinary range of production scale quantities, you pay extra.

page2171, GasAxe and Doug D like this.
  13. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Didn't I delete a very similar conversation that you started in another thread? I suggest you stop ranting technology and stay on topic.

tlc, page2171 and Tony K like this.
  14. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

It was also priced where it made more sense for one to purchase a 1500 ram and actually save money and get the same fuel mileage

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I think dropping the final-gen Dakota was a good call. Creating that generation was not... the generation before it was very good. I made a chart, long ago... oversizing it did not work.

Generations: 1987-96 were the original largely-outsourced design; 1997-2004 was the first interla, which we'll call the Sheaves design; then 2005-07 was the generation I dubbed “Honey, we screwed up the truck” (many of the sales in 2005 may have been for the 2004s still on the lots); and finally the 2008-11 was a mild restyling and update of the ugly 2005-07 series. (The chart only goes to 2009, I know.) Sales were still terrible.

View: https://youtu.be/2vhzxLF2OnQ

[​IMG]

somber and Tony K like this.
  16. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I agree to a point, but full size trucks have gotten bigger, so how does the last generation Dakota stack up against the current midsize trucks and full size? Just a what if kind of thing.

17. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The current FCA midsize pickup is the Fiat Fullback, a rebadged Mitsubishi Triton. At the time, when Fiat decided to go that route, it seemed like a good deal. Soon after the VW diesel scandal broke ushering in a new wave of diesel emissions standards for the UE. The Mitsubishi diesel engine won't meet them. Another issue the arose was Mitsubishi entering the Nissan universe.

Now that PSA group is entering the picture, I'm sure some sort of new arrangement will be made. The current Peugeot pickup is a rebadged Dongfeng product and is marketed only in Africa. There is another project under development with a different Chinese company, ChangAn. It is supposed to be for global distribution.

PSA Group's DS division will sell a rebadged version of the previous generation Ram 1500. It will simply be called the DS pickup.:p

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I had a 2008 Dakota 4 door 4x4 and a 1999 Dakota extended cab RWD.
    Both fit in my garage nicely. In a stupid move, I sold the 2008 Dakota and bought a GMC Canyon 4 door 4x4 because I was making a weekly trip and wondered if the old rusty Dakota would remain dependable. The GMC still fit in my garage, but the antenna on top the roof drug going in. The bed sides were way higher, which meant I had to climb into the bed to get stuff at times - but the GM rear bumper with the step built in is really convenient.
    The GMC was a nice truck, I really think it rode as nice as my Ram 1500 Classic (the GMC had 17" tires, the Ram 20". The GMC handled very well. But the GMC was just a little too small (not by much) in the rear seat for the big dogs.I couldn't find another decent 2008+ Dakota up here, so I traded the GMC for a Ram 1500 which won't fit the garage. Next plan is to sell the Georgia house and find a Pittsburgh house with a minimum 3 car garage, at least one stall that will fit the Ram 1500.

danbek and Adventurer55 like this.
  19. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Not all dealers push the fully loaded option. The Jeep dealer I purchased my Gladiator builds them out very smart. I wanted a Gladiator Rubicon but most dealers have them maxed out and priced from $56K to $60K ( at the time I was buying). My dealer was smart enough to know the Rubicons were what sale but also optioned them up to a point under or just a hair over $50K. If kept below the $50K mark he found that sales of the Rubicon stayed constant. I planned on building my out but due to an unexpected mechanical issue with my then DD I had to buy sooner than expected and off the lot.

Dave Z likes this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

You're funny, but the Peugeot pickup is an interesting and sad note. It'll save them billions but it ends any thought of Auburn Hills being involved and of Ram doing a midsize pickup.