AF: Dart, 200 “to run their course” | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dart, 200 “to run their course”

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Mr. Marchionne said that the Dart would continue for a while, but that new partners may “provide product from their facilities” afterwards. He named both the Dart and the 200 as “running their course” while customer preferences shift to crossovers, SUVs, and trucks, in the face of low gasoline prices. Mitsubishi seems likely to return to Chrysler badging within the United States, based on Mr. Marchionne’s use of the term ”our partners.” FCA is the distributor for Mitsubishi […]
    Read the whole post here.

#1 Dave Z, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    HotCarNut likes this.
  2. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Don't get away from cars in favor of SUV because of the low gas prices....

3. Intrepidatious

Level 2 Supporter

Nice knowing you Chrysler. It was fun.

4. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Customer preference..... its not a fuel efficiency thing its a packaging efficiency thing. It basically evolution of the market, you get more usable passenger and cargo but using the vertical space.... Not to say that there isn't room for car but maybe not in bottom of the market and not at sufficient margins. Something special is needed.... some reason for people to pay more.

That said why go to the Asians when you have a perfectly good small car badged as other things in other parts of the world, import and rebadge them.

5. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Good lord, every time there is a product change this nonsense..

6. md80891

md80891 Active Member

Product should be added incrementally . Meaning you add the cuv to the existing line up.

The sweater still does not have the vision or the guys to make the correct move which is to kill Fiat and sell Alfa.

M.O.D., Mopartial and Ian like this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Ouch, I had no desire to buy a Mitsubishi car when the formerly independent Chrysler sold them and I certainly don't now.
    I held my nose and bought a couple with Mitsubishi engines, and I even regretted having to do that.

8. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Do mean kill Fiat worldwide? Roll Fiat into CDJR and still sell the X, 500, 124 as niche vehicles makes sense.... Alfa is vision it is way to transfer capacity in profit centers in Europe ....

But yes the tall cars will incrementally replace low margin cars and should

HotCarNut likes this.
  9. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

I can understand the 100 being shelved/canceled, but letting the Dart and 200 languish is a HUGE mistake. That's how Chrysler and the domestics get themselves into trouble, by letting a product get stale. Not surprised by this turn of events, but very disappointed. They're doing exactly what I feared. It's looking like all Fiat wants out of this deal is Jeep, Ram and most of the dealer network.

10. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Very disappointing.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

#10 aldo90731, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  11. Intrepidatious

Level 2 Supporter

Since Chrysler won't be supplying their own cars, this is a bit more than a product change. This is a manufacturer change.

12. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Well-Known Member

Dart, 200, Viaggio and Ottimo, harken to Marchionne's words about building small cars in an intelligent way.

I caught most of the presentation, except for the Q&A. Just a general feeling, but it seems the Golden Age of information flowing out of FCA is over. Not much added from the December presentation.

heavy_kevie and Prabhjot like this.
  13. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Not really sure about the lackluster sales of the 200. It certainly is as good as anything else out there and with rebates too. I looked at one in the showroom while waiting for a salesperson and it looked like a nice little car. It's not for me, but I am only one person. I don't believe the BS about rear door exit/entry. It wouldn't stop me from buying it. Most times I don't even care about the backseat, for the few times people may sit there. I don't think CR has that much of an impact on sales. Maybe it is because they look like everything else on the road, in that segment? The look of it don't inspire me, but that don't mean they wouldn't sell them. As for the Dart, well we sort of understand what happened there, with the drive train issue(s) and all, or reported issues. I personally have heard way to many people complain that it looks just like an old neon, which I guess they take as bad.
    As for letting everything run it's course, I don't think it's a good sign. It's like saying we made a dismal product and we invested X amount of dollars in it, so we'll run it until we recoup that. To the point of not worrying about improvements or trying to make it work. That's like SM saying he has no confidence in those products, to me? I get the feeling that they are trying to copy other vehicles in the market, which, for a business standpoint maybe a solid/safe mindset or a good gamble, but to me it gets too far away from being unique on the road. This is what always made me love Chrysler Co's products. Lead, follow, or get out of they way. Remember that? I believe they are at the second step now. With the mainstream bread and butter vehicles. JMO

14. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

The Honda Accord/Toyota Camry walk all over it in resale, refinement (volume I4 motors), and fuel economy. It's a tough class. Even the Fusion, Sonata, and Optima present better thought out solutions in those categories.

aldo90731 and HotCarNut like this.
  15. MPE426HEMI

Really? Resale maybe, and that's never going to change. It must be a persons ideals of refinement because the few I've been in don't impress me in the least. A lot of it seems Bass ackwards actually. Personally, I don't like the look of the exterior of the 200 because it just looks like a composition of all those cars you mentioned, of which I wouldn't buy due to their looks. Not my style.

XRT2SRT, jerseyjoe and Bob Lincoln like this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It is a sad day for the C in FCA.

17. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

I'm disappointing--it seems like FCA has no faith in its ability to design/produce competitive mainstream sedans.

18. MPE426HEMI

Exactly my thoughts. That's my impression of it all.

19. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Like I said he doesn't have a clue about Chrysler, lets see drop the 200 and Dart and what a wonderful line up you have NOTHING.

heavy_kevie, XRT2SRT, vipergg and 4 others like this.
  20. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

Sigh....the end is no longer near,its here.
    Shame.