AF: Dart, 200 “to run their course” | Page 64 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dart, 200 “to run their course”

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 27, 2016.

1. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

They were king of that for a good while, if I recall.

Ian likes this.
  2. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

You are living in the past as far as cars, why is Hyundai and Kia outselling the dart and by the way I own a 12 year old Optima and will compare to any car of that period.

3. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Hey, I don't really care what you think of me living in the past or not, I don't like Hyundai's product line. I know you own a 12 yrs ol Optima, that people think is brand new. They must not look closely at cars...and as far as styling, I think your Optima is dated vs a same year Accord, Camry or Sebring.

Hyundai is outselling the Dart because it is cheaper and has more standard features, not because an Elantra is a better product.

On edit, the Optima was such a great car back in '03 that it finished 8 out of 9 for midsize comparasion test, behind "no so great accorng to you" Chrysler products.

#1263 Ian, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  4. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

they were in a cash flow model then.... just keeping the lights on. They have evolved past that, you can imagine that was not sustainable.

Ian likes this.
  5. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

OK. So the longevity of the nameplate.

Anything else?

6. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Like I said before then the 300 and Charger are also outdated.

7. Stratuscaster

Wait - you state that it would take too much money to make the Dart a "competitive competitor" - and then list 5 things.

Are those 5 things really all that's needed for the Dart to compare well against the big 4 (and the Elantra)?

8. Stratuscaster

Right. Sure they are. They haven't been touched since...what? 2015?

9. Stratuscaster

OK. Longtime nameplates and marketing.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  10. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I am trying to find a reason to believe the Charger and 300 are outdated. His '03 Kia in not outdated thougho_O

UN4GTBL, MPE426HEMI, XRT2SRT and 3 others like this.
  11. Stratuscaster

OK.

Longtime nameplates.
    Marketing and advertising.
    The availability of hatchbacks or coupes.
    The availability of "performance" models.

Anything else?

UN4GTBL and MPE426HEMI like this.
  12. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

If ones like a Optima over a Charger or even a 300 then you are simply a different customer then targeted.... Because there is no freaken way..... that is the type of customer who will push the 300 to FWD(AWD) platform.... the driving experience of a Charger vs any of the midsized to larger cars with the exception ChevySS is entirely different.

UN4GTBL and Ian like this.
  13. Stratuscaster

I won't diss the man for owning his Kia. He found something he liked and that met his requirements.

Robert Johnson, JavelinAMX and Ian like this.
  14. Stratuscaster

Interesting. But let's not lose focus - this is about Dart and 200, not Charger and 300.

gforce2002 likes this.
  15. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I agree but let's keep in mind it's the same guy that says LX cars are outdated while his older Kia is not. I am the first to respect what people buy but geez, compare apples to apples.

somber likes this.
  16. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Yeah where did the Optima compared to the LXs come from????

UN4GTBL and Ian like this.
  17. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Someone looking at an Optima back then would've shopped for a Stratus/Sebring. Different cuastomer base.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. v.b.

v.b. Well-Known Member

Dart started (rushed) development in a period when everybody was claiming that compacts were the future, everybody will be downsizing and request premium features on compacts.

If those predictions would have come true, the Dart would have been better placed and customers more forgiving of perceived defects.

I do think it is a stupid move to CUV's, after looking very hard at 500x I am now looking for a Giulietta. Actually a Dart hatchback would have been a better fit if available in EU, but the market has spoken and I am in a small and neglectable niche.

V

KrisW, Lampredi and Ian like this.
  19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Longevity of the nameplate creates an intangible goodwill for the brand. A certain portion of people will buy X again just because they had X last time and it served them fine.
    You can't automatically assume a buyer is going to follow from LeBaron to Cirrus to Sebring to 200 like someone buying Camry after Camry.

MPE426HEMI, somber and Ian like this.
  20. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

That was what I was shopping for, the only reason I said about the 300 and Charger is because it was stated that mine was out of date but they where not even thought they started in 05. When I was looking for a car I looked at the Stratus/Sebring as far as quality the Kia outdid them and plus the 100000/10 year powertrain and 60000/7 year bumper to bumper warranty ( after 6 years they replaced my home link mirror under warranty ) was a big factor, you are talking to a man that has probably owned more Chrysler products than you and still have a 87 new Yorker 2.2 turbo as my second car. As I said I knew I was going to keep the car and also the color helped White pearl a lot classier that plain old white and the paint is great after 13 years.