AF: Dart, 200 “to run their course” | Page 65 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dart, 200 “to run their course”

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Following this logic, I could do three things:

A. Continue to pump out cars that are possibly just as good as the long-term nameplates for 20 years with the same name until it gains a rep for appliance buyers to appreciate, while continuing to prop up sales with heavy incentives.

B. Continue to participate in the market with a contract-built car that (hopefully) has a good reputation of it's own and be content with picking up whatever sales I could get as along as I keep my costs and incentives as low as possible.

C. Decide not to participate in that market segment at all.

AlfaCuda, Dave Z, gforce2002 and 2 others like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

To me there is NO difference between B & C. It may not matter to others but it matters to me. And it's my money they have to earn. So in five years later and if this doesn't work they are still 20 years away from establishing a rep in the marketplace instead of 15. And if it doesn't matter who builds the car, why are all the Fiat 124 reviews mentioning the Miata in almost every paragraph?

By the way, assumption A is faulty. If it were anywhere close to as good it wouldn't need "heavy" incentives.

somber likes this.
  3. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I think the problem with the current 200 compared to the last model is the price. The old 200sold on it's price and features while the new one, being advanced in every way possible, has not been reconized as a "good" competitor and priced near it's rivals, it's a tough sell, especially when the competitors have a long trail of royal clients and good reliability ratings.

You can't expect customers to buy a car full pop with no history (or little) that used to sell on price. Despite all the qualities the 200 has, it would've taken another good generation to prove it is a good car before selling it full pop.

I'm afraid the Pacifica will end up being sold at the same price as the current CVP/AVP minivans in order to move a few. I hope i'm wrong.

4. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Let Dodge sale the 3-door hatch and Chrysler sale the 5-door hatch variation of DART/200 respectively!

jerseyjoe likes this.
  5. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

The END !?!?!?!?! :D

6. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

The biggest problem with C is once you leave a market it is very hard to get back into it.

7. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Wait, what?

LOL

I'll give you that the last generation and present Optima are good looking cars.

But a 2003 Kia Optima is better looking than a Charger or 300?

This:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, full disclosure, I drive a Caliber, so definitely not the best looking vehicle out there, but the Charger and 300 are way better looking than an '03 Optima

The original post where this whole thing came up was about geraldg's 2003 Kia Optima.

Most current Kias are good looking cars for sure.

somber and ScramFan like this.
  8. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

In 2003, Kia was still coming along in their relationship with Hyundai.

I once owned a 1995 Hyundai Sonata. Ultimately was glad to be rid of it. Except for the motor mounts, the car was So-so/Reasonable. The paint faded too quickly, but the body was fairly sound. The motor mounts and the battery were less than adequate. I believe they used a Mitsu push-rod 3.0L V6; although I could be wrong - it might've been a Hyundai designed engine, but I'm betting Mitsu. It was surprisingly solid in body and interior components - didn't squeak or rattle, and knobs and handles remained intact; and the cloth seats were very, very durable and comfortable. That interior survived two fairly young kids - boys.

Anyway, the Kia 900 is nice, in a slightly quirky way.

Seeing the direction of our FCA cars, It would not take much to coax me to a Genesis compared to a 300 - except I don't anticipate getting into a large sedan at that price. Genesis is an up and comer, whereas I see mounting doubts about the Chrysler marque.

9. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Are you so sure that a 20 year investment in a commodity driven shrinking space where profit is razor thin is worth it? Especially when capacity constrained?

10. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Geez, someone should start up a Kipar or Hypar site! Lol :p:p:p Lol!

UN4GTBL and somber like this.
  11. Stratuscaster

While that may be true, as a market shrinks more people tend to get out of the pool - thus making it less crowded when you do jump back in.

A quick way to get back into a market segment is similar to option B - partner with another automaker in the segment and buy yourself some time to develop your own product - IF that's a requirement.

TripleT likes this.
  12. Stratuscaster

Not sure why there would need to be 2 different branded models in this case - the only vehicle I know that does something similar to this is Toyota/Scion with the Corolla/iM (sedan & 5-door) - and that's already ended with the end of Scion.

13. Stratuscaster

If the 124 Spider was done completely in-house, reviews would STILL mention the Miata - because they are competitors.

Ads and marketing alone aren't enough to drive people into the showroom to look at a Dart or 200 - some consumers won't move unless there is an incentive to do so.

14. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

The American public is hooked on rebates and expect to have them on a car.

UN4GTBL and jerseyjoe like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

As has been pointed out before, there is value to having a full lineup beyond the bottom line profit on each model.
    How many people shop for a sedan and leave in something else? you don't have the sedan, you don't get them into the showroom.

UN4GTBL and jerseyjoe like this.
  16. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^ FCA wants out the Commodity business.... leave to Koreans and Chinese those who think that thin steel, thin plastic are quality.... (all though KP makes damn neat the best PP in the world that helps that)

grungerockjeeper and JKU12 like this.
  17. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

That was the Plymouth formula, aluminum parts instead of plastic outside. Worked for them till the Blitz. Maybe thats where the Plymouth owners are. When I washed the roof on my 1968 Satellite the wet sponge would deflect the roof. Aluminum grille and huge rear trunk trim always looked great. Parking lots made me nerveious. Anyhow miss that car the 3 speed auto and 21 mpg 318. Yeah Buicks walked away from it but I just smiled at the oldtimer at the next light. No buick in my future so far.

#1297 jerseyjoe, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  18. Stratuscaster

I wonder how many rebates were on the 430000 Camrys sold last year?

Perhaps the American consumers are expecting to have them on American branded cars, because it's still the early 80's and they still are worse than the Japanese offerings.

Robert Johnson and UN4GTBL like this.
  19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

$1250 rebate on 2016 Toyota Camrys here in Metro Detroit.

$3500 cash back on 2016 Chrysler 200s here as well.

20. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Very true. Happened to a friend that went to a GM dealer to replace Her station wangon and walked out with an Arcadia. Hit the curb when she got home overwhelmed by the gadgets and blind spots. Watch out in the parking lots! Welcome to the future. Her wagon always looked new. She lives in an industrial aera loaded with trucks and wanted a better view. Would have done better by leaving Linden NJ, but its her home for 50 years.
    Change is good?