AF: Dart, 200 “to run their course” | Page 67 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dart, 200 “to run their course”

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Video not available in my countryo_O

2. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Hopefully the partner is Mazda. Their vehicles are very competitive. Although unlikely it would ever reach production, I photoshopped a Dodge front end onto a CX-3. With Uconnect, a different interior, and a more powerful engine, it could be a great vehicle. Standard AWD would be neat too. It's fun to imagine the possibilities.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/52mww.jpg

(posting as a link because it isn't wanting to attach my image)

HotCarNut likes this.
  3. Mallard

Mallard Active Member

I totally agree, and said so about 20 pages ago. It would also make the Dart more of a Cruze and Focus competitor. Both are offering sedans and hatchs.

grungerockjeeper and UN4GTBL like this.
  4. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

5. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Nicely done. Looks natural. < Thumbs Up >

HotCarNut and Ryan like this.
  6. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

Compare the sales of models that have both sedan and 5-door hatch body styles. Which one sells more here in the US?

I'm not saying they SHOULDN'T offer it. But there's a reason why they don't - and it usually revolves around ROI (ie; money.)

jorisr likes this.
  7. Ian

Ian Car Freak

In Ontario, $1000 on a 2015 and $500 off on a 2016 Camry
    $2500 off the 2016 200 making it Canada's most affordable midsize sedan.
    $3000 off on a 2015, making it below the $20k mark.

#1327 Ian, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

9. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Love that Ottimo. The LED lights on the front bumper would be a good addition to the Dart's bumper.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  10. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Well-Known Member

So the point of this thread is sedans are waning, but CUVs are on the rise. Well the Ottimo IS a CUV....tall car...hatchback...whatever we're calling them now. Just Dodge it up a bit, with a performance flavor and make some real muscle under the hood available and call it a wrap. 'Duster' would make total sense for the name since it suggests it can take on dusty trails and such. Send the sedan over to Chrysler and lux it up a bit to fit with the 'upscale value' mantra and then that becomes gravy sales.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

True, or build the Ottimo Cross here as a small Dodge crossover. There is plenty of ways the current CUSW platform can go without billions in reinvestment for another lame duck seller.

Ian, UN4GTBL and jerseyjoe like this.
  12. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Nothing wrong with the small Dodge or Chrysler other than middle of the road appearance. Fine for some but at pricing point could more in your face looks. Make Dart look like a Dodge Dart. When introduced all I heard "thats not a Dart" from MOPAR people.
    Built a modest 200 that was 1k away from nearly the same 300. 200 Chrysler blends into the pack, should look more BMW-ish. I it stood out would be hot seller. Anyhow thats how I see it.

13. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

and real world, my 2012 300S with the HEMI and 5-speed combo would regularly get 27-28 mpg on the highway at 75+ mph. That cylinder shutdown feature was amazing for fuel economy....

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. BGWheelhorse

BGWheelhorse Well-Known Member

Mazda? The best car that nobody buys. So we Moparize the Mazda 6 and still nobody buys it.

HotCarNut, UN4GTBL and Citation84 like this.
  15. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Yes, that does make sense, but, dealers have been doing this for years: loss leaders advertised [low prices make good ad copy], halo models with low production to generate showroom traffic. Once you get a potential customer in, the next is getting them in the driver's seat. It's called upselling and it's been integral to the industry for decades.

Of course this would work with a farmed out Dart or 200. And people actually do buy those "commodity" cars. How many higher margin Darts/Valiants were sold when a customer came in to see a Dodge Colt or Plymouth Arrow ? Or a Fairlane over a Falcon? A Stratus over a Neon? Granada instead of a Maverick,The Colts, Arrows, Falcons Mavericks and Neons still sold, but not all of those intenders left with what they originally came to buy.

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Of note, Toyota and Honda did not do it in the past and I am not sure they do it now. The Dart and Valiant were not high margin at all, they were barely breakeven. Stratus and Neon isn't a great example since Neon was highly profitable!

Citation84 likes this.
  17. Citation84

Dart seems to be growing every year. It would seem updates and advertising would help to move the product. Nearly 90,000 units is nothing to sneeze at. But considering that in 13 and 14 Dodge was still offering the Avenger, and Dart sales didn't take up the slack, it seems apparent FCA sees the Dart as not having any staying power in the market.

ScramFan and somber like this.
  18. Citation84

Makes sense, Dave. Hate to see FCA not offering a product in two segments, though contracted replacements would seem logical.

Where did the lessons learned from the Neon go that made them so profitable ? Lost in "The Daimler Way" ?

somber likes this.
  19. Citation84

What I should have said was that the commodity product has never been seen as a means to an end by the Big Three. The smaller offerings have been treated as throwaway cars as have been the consumers of those vehicles. Not as future potential customers for the company.

No long range planning but sold with the attitude that customers in the market didn't deserve any better than the bare minimum for their purchase, rather than long term customers that would come back for other offerings as their incomes increased and because they were pleased with the car they had purchased and the company that built it.

The Japanese leveraged those "bottom feeding cheapskates" into long term buyers of their products over many years.

Short term thinking is what brought GM to it's knees. Probably the worst company ever for cultivating future buyers via their most modest offerings.

Did anyone ever think the Cavalier, a popular choice for first time buyers, was a great base with which to introduce the first time buyer into another GM vehicle down the road ? With that sort of cynicism and a full on focus on trucks and SUVs while letting "something to sell in the segment" passenger cars rot on the vine, where did they expect future buyers to come from without using massive incentives ? And what of high gasoline prices and economic turmoil in the future?

Short term volume chasing/market share/ profits at the expense of long term viability.

ScramFan likes this.
  20. somber

somber 370,000 miles

I would love to have seen a Dart with a Hurricane 4 in it. Dart with 270+ HP? Yes, please.

Bob Lincoln, HotCarNut and UN4GTBL like this.