AF: Dart, 200 “to run their course” | Page 69 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dart, 200 “to run their course”

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I did not realize the Contour sold more than the cloud cars. I always thought it with the opposite. I guess in my area, the Clouds were much more popular (seems Chrysler vehicles are always more popular in Canada) than the Contour.

People that I know who had Contours had nothing but headaches.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  2. BGWheelhorse

BGWheelhorse Well-Known Member

As Ian said, Chrysler sells better in Canada. I wonder why?

jerseyjoe likes this.
  3. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Original Cloud cars are still running around here. Can't say i have seen a Countour for a while. Might have seen a Mystique or two thinking it was a GM car.

4. red-jk

red-jk Well-Known Member

With a Fiat-brand D-sedan for China, and a replacement for the Chinese Viaggio/Ottimo on the horizon could GAC be the partner that SM has talked about to supply a 200 and Dart replacement, and not Mazda, Mitsubishi or Suzuki?

5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

It's been 30 plus years since I've been to Canada, but whether they are more nationalistic, or some other reason. Chrysler is held in much higher regard there. If anything, friends up north chime in here, I think Chrysler is held in even higher regard now maybe more so then back then.

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  6. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

hope not! Much rather partner with Suzuki for a whole host of reasons

7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Me either, but with the company held with such little regard in these two car lines, at least if they are made in China they could almost give them away and still make money.:D

8. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Chrysler has some sort of respect that it doesn't get in the states. We don't see Chrysler vehicle has being junk and most people who have Chryslers will return for another. I speak for the majority of what I see and experience. I think we might have a better dealership network as well. I've heard of only one bad dealer (which I used to work for) that is bad in my 150km radius. The dealer we bought our last 4 cars have been amazing.

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  9. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

"The dealer we bought our last 4 cars have been amazing."

If only we could say that about more than just a few select dealers.

Ian, TripleT and PCRMike like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Domestics do better in Canada because of high import duties on cars outside of NAFTA.

Ian likes this.
  11. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

There was a real error in not just bring the Mondeo which is quite a nice car
    Hmmm I would suppose how well the Buick does... the quality issues were daunting 10 years ago but the Chinese have raised there expectation a lot since then... Good resin and good steel is still a issue and would have to be monitored very closely.

12. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Well-Known Member

It isnt. My sis had a Supra, with clearcoat peeling on the roof and spoiler. My dad went to the local 'yota service dept to see if there was any kind of recall on the paint (pre 'net days)... The reaction was that they were insulted at the idea that someone had the gall to suggest a Toyota could possibly have problems. No more Japanese cars for us....

Non car people. Consumers. The perspective is completely different than customers and enthusiasts. Theyre perfectly happy to let service techs dictate what 'needs' work, and pay the price. On top of that, they're acutally gung ho about the whole 'no haggle' pricing scheme. You can get that anywhere, if you simply pay the sticker price without trying to negotiate. End result is you WILL pay more, but history shows that casual consumers are perfectly fine with that. Me personally...EVERYTHING is negotiable and I look forward to the whole dance.

13. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

Dealer experience is indeed important - but until you can actually get butts in the seats in the showroom, it's not a factor at that point.

14. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I didn't know that.

I do know that, when you talk about Chrysler, generally, it is positive. Most people here have a positive view on the automaker. There is still that swear it is junk.

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Perhaps it's positive because more people have recent experience and aren't going by something that happened to their 1976 Volare or early-run 1995 Neon.

Stratuscaster and Ian like this.
  16. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Honda does very well in Canada too. I think Canadians overall are in love with their RAM trucks, they seem to be everywhere here. Even to the point, the local GM dealership keeps slightly used '15 RAMs and Cherokees in stock to sell.

Wil

Ian likes this.
  17. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

I had a '98.5 Contour Sport SE with the small V-6 and it was an outstanding car. I sold it after I purchased the Magnum, but immediately regretted it. My neighbors got good use of it for several years after they bought it, until the transmission went at about 280,000 kms or 174,000 miles. The Ford Customer Service was excellent as well, even when it was only recall service.

Ian likes this.
  18. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I sense the discussion that was active last year, and months prior, in the "Death of ..." threads is merely unfolding now. Gradually, for sure.

It doesn't seem the brands and models have the roots they once had. The 200 and Dart have for the time being been re-routed to a secondary manufacturer. Unless there will be yet another juke and head-fake, these models are heading toward a looser and looser tie to the homestead . Indeed they are names now.

19. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Saw a black Dart Aero at the mall, very empressive looking, the color took away all its akwardness. So much so I prced it on line. Verry well equipped with auto stick $22k, not bad, would talk with several dealers ot get my best price, like I always do.

Big issue for nube shopper, when I did an inventory search it showed all models as an exact match. A new customer would skip this car and maybe Dodge. Had a lifelong MOPAR compact car owner who switched to Ford cause the dealer did not know how to order a manual trans.

Web searching is how nubes locate a vehicle. I have struggeled with these websites since Daimler daze! FCA is no better actually The Jeep site convinced me that it was fixed.
    Wassupwitdat?

Ian likes this.