Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dart rental - question about cruise

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by bguy, Mar 28, 2016.

1. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

Hi all. While the Compass was in for repair my wife picked up a Dart as a rental. I don't know what year or trim other than to say it had cloth interior that didn't strike me as cheap cheap, it had a touch screen, power windows all around and I believe 17" alloy wheels. Of course I looked under the hood to see the 2.4.
    To my question, yesterday we took it for a bit of a ride before it went back today. I had the cruise set at 111km/h and I must say it held the speed really well with no dramatic shifting or odd behaviour on hills. Shortly I encountered a slower car and used the cancel feature to follow. Once I saw my chance I stepped into it and overtook the other car. By the time I get to pull back in I'm going 135-140 and pressed resume on the cruise. It shut itself off. ( the cruise ). I don't believe I went to WOT at any time but I can't be 100%. After several attempts I could not get the cruise to engage. The system would engage and say it was ready but shut off once the set button was pressed. Only after the car was shut off and re started would the cruise work again. So is this a problem with this car or is the cruise programmed to behave like this? For this model or all across the car lines? What exact offence did I commit to upset he system?

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I'm gonna guess the cruise control failure was just a coincidence. It needs to be properly diagnosed and repaired. I don't believe it's anything you did.

3. desotocrazy

desotocrazy Active Member

If you hit CANCEL, you have to push SET again, not RESUME (I believe). CANCEL will remove the set cruise speed value from the system memory so by hitting RESUME, it's not finding that value any longer. Did you try just hitting SET again by chance? I never hit CANCEL when passing, just tap the brake to take the car out of cruise and then RESUME when I'm back in my lane. Just a thought...

PCRMike likes this.
  4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

No, that's not how it works. CANCEL disengages the cruise control while retaining the last speed setting, and hitting RESUME re-engages the cruise at the last setting. Only turning the cruise control OFF, ignition OFF, or selecting a new speed with SET will change or erase the setting.

Doug D and valiant67 like this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Bob beat me to it.
    Cancel just disengages cruise without hitting the brake pedal. In either case, Resume should pick the speed back up.