Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dart Swinger interior options.

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by Volunteer, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Well, the car is a '70 Swinger with column-shift (so no console) and, being a '2-door', the front seat is of the split - bench design, so one half of back part can be tilted forward to access rear seat area. (duh).
    Anyway, the interior upholstery is of the two-tone (green) vinyl. Door panels good but seat covers need replacing.
    The 'correct' grain/color vinyl is readily available (yes, for a cost), but I need to explore other options.
    If I decide to change to a console with floor shift (auto), I also would change the front seat(s) to twin 'high-back' buckets. I do have a pair of these from '74 Duster, plus a console, linkage, brackets and column (without shift lever). So now the questions.
    Would the same (two-tone green) covers be available for the 'high-backs'? I have not found any listings to confirm 'yes or no'. Also, are the '74 seat frames and foams identical to the earlier seventies'? What about the hard vinyl cover on '70-'72 models (on rear of seat back)?
    I haven't seen any pictures yet to confirm the years and models but, I would like to know if the (seat back) upholstery is solid on the back - and then hard cover is attached. Hope that doesn't sound like a dumb question as I've never worked with early-seventies (A-B- or E-body) high-back seats - (only '73 and newer).
    I see differences in Part Numbers but assume only due to the grain of the vinyl? thanks

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by valiant67, Nov 22, 2017
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

For the replacement covers, I think you'd have to just keep going to the people who make them. I'd think the seat frames and foams would be the same but I don't know. You can probably compare at a car show... the anchors are the same if all else fails; they should interchange easily enough in that regard. Wish I could answre more...

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Volunteer likes this.
  5. Volunteer

Thanks. Does anyone have the info about those hard-back seat pieces? ie: how attached and regular vinyl underneath? links? Oh, and I do see some pics of (2-doors) with the regular (low-back) buckets, with or without the 'detached' headrests, in models with a console. IF I stayed with the 'split-bench'/column-shift setup then the matching front/rear covers readily available, but - - -

6. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

F body seats should fit in there.

7. Volunteer

Suppose I'll search for more interior photos. I remember my first E-body, a '70 Challenger, 318, with column auto, 7.25" rear and split-bench with separate high-backs. They seemed 'weird' at the time, but being only 2-door cars, the only seat (design) options were those split bench-buckets (with high backs) or the separate (high-back) buckets. Years later, my '74 (318) Rallye car was a bit more unusual. it had column shift, but, the separate high-backs, so installing a console much easier. I fabricated brackets and bolted to floor hump and everything slowly fell into place. All conversion parts came from '72 B-cuda but I did leave the column stock. I only removed the 'guts', including shift lever, so the 'lump' was still there.
    Should mention a story, once again, about what happened when I was setting up my throttle and (2Bbl. carb) - way back in '79, as part of the conversion process. When driving on a highway by-pass, with a slight downhill grade, doing about 60, still in city limits, I wanted to see how the tach responded and if my idle would drop enough. I was locked into D, having used the ratchet shifter correctly, so merely pressed the side button to release the lock into drive feature. Then, a gentle forward nudge of the T-handle (should) get the indicator and linkage into the N position.
    Anyone with one of these early slap-sticks knows how they should work. Anyway, again, still at about 60 (mph), and a quick 2 seconds after moving handle forward, the car suddenly felt like it hit a sand trap and slowed rapidly - just as I looked into rear-view mirror. I immediately saw white smoke billowing out the back - so knew right away what happened. I instantly 'flicked' the T-handle rearward - to get tranny back into D.
    Needless to say, I was 'sweating bullits' - wondering if it caused any permanent tranny damage. I had that car for two more years with no ill-effects. That 904 was one tough tranny - not to mention the U-joints - considering i had wide and sticky Kelly Supercharger tires. But, I did set up the linkage a bit better, so, yet again, learned something from my own mistakes.

8. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

9. Volunteer

Yeh, pretty cool. That's my identical interior - except for the carpet and standard floor shift - 3spd? Rather unusual combo, you'd think, with a yellow exterior. :confused:. Would expect black or white.
    Pretty sure individual buckets would be the high-backs so if anyone can find a pic of those.
    Thanks