AF: Dart window whistle | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dart window whistle

Discussion in 'New Dart' started by Dave Z, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

So does anyone else have an issue with a Dodge Dart window whistling at speeds from 30 mph on up? It stops if a rear window is lowered slightly. I can’t seem to find where it’s coming from - I went so far as to tape over some of the window sections.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

What years? There is a diagnostic procedure to pinpoint a leak common to most all vehicles that is covered in the service manual. A whistle is often caused by low pressure outside a moving vehicle (the whistle is air being pulled out of the vehicle, not being pushed into the vehicle). There are also 2 TSBs for Dart (PF) side glass noise.
    TSB 23-009-15 addresses a pop/click (or perceived looseness) in either the left or right side glass when partially down. It involves greasing the track inside the door.
    TSB 23-024-16 addresses a door rubber seal distortion caused by the door glass. This can usually be seen with a visual inspection outside the vehicle. It involves replacing both the seal and the glass.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

You are probably right, iNeon. ImperialCrown, 2013. I'll check the door rubber seal distortion.

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

It's pretty sad when people are seeing this on 4 yr old cars, and my 33-yr old Daytona with 155K miles has rattles and squeaks, but apparently not as bad as newer cars.

5. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Never any whistles with my 2013 Dart Limited. I am seeing my paint starting to blister at the edge of my hood though, on a 4 year old car. :(

6. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

No wistles but there's times where i feel like there's more wind noise then normal. I also have deflectors on the 4 windows

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Side-window Ventshades, hood air deflectors, spoilers and other add-on body accessories can cause wind turbulence which will create more noise.

8. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson New Member

I have an early 2013 SXT, which I bought in December 2012 and not a squeak or a rattle, except for the NEW sunshade. It is a good little car, but likely needs replacement in the next few years.

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I think the Aero is in a special class for crappiness.

I have no body add-ons. I think it's the guides, worn at 37,000 miles.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Not to dredge up an ANCIENT thread but one added piece of info: this only occurs when the fan inside is on.

“A whistle is often caused by low pressure outside a moving vehicle (the whistle is air being pulled out of the vehicle, not being pushed into the vehicle).”

Very true in this case, but I don't know how to fix it unless replacing the glass and seal is the only way. I'll have to check out that TSB now that summer is upon us.

The Aero had extra problems because (a) the suspension is cheeply cut down to reduce drag, which means it's extra stiff and transmits more shocks to the body, and (b) 1.4 turbo.

11. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

If this is on the passenger side, have a helper with a spray bottle of water squirt around the glass-to-rubber seal. When the whistle changes or goes away, that is the spot you want to look more closely at for any distortion or misalignment.
    Rubber weatherstrips and door welts can tend to shrink after a few years. Sometimes reforming and reinstalling them will close an air gap.

tomit likes this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Thanks. It only occurs at highway speed. (Oh, hold on, you probably mean to do it from the inside of the car, right?) Clever technique.

It's been doing it since the car was nearly new.

Thanks!

13. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Yeah. Dad would just shake his head when he saw this stuff on cars. After all the effort and testing the body design group did to eliminate wind noise, leaks, drag etc then customers hang these things on a car.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  14. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Yes from the inside, on a road test with the noise present. Blower on to get the whistle, but not drown out the whistle.