Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dash Lights - 89 Caravan

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by slim slow slider, Oct 11, 2017.

1. slim slow slider

Seems my instrument cluster lights are out. I checked the fuse (s); none are blown.

I'm thinking.....perhaps the fader portion of the light switch is bad?? Is that a possibility???

Any thoughts- help appreciated. Not good to drive at night and no cluster lights.

Thanks to All!!

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I think you are on the right track.
    But first, make sure you have external lights.
    I've had the headlight switch fail and that killed both the dash lights and the external marker lights. Only the headlights came on.
    So check before you drive it after dark.

You may also find melted wiring around the switch - it gets pretty hot.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  3. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

On my first car, I had this issue, and turning on the interior light illuminated the dash lights, they were dark otherwise. Replaced the headlight switch, all good.

slim slow slider likes this.
  4. slim slow slider

Thank You Bob ad Valiant67. Will change the headlight switch.

5. slim slow slider

Thanks to all, I have dash lights!! Replaced the switch and uncovered a host of problems. First, I could not get the switch knob and rod out of the switch! Depressing the button failed to release it. Secondly, looks like the switch got hot at some point. There had been a repair to the wiring around the switch. Seems there was a security system hooked up to the headlight switch. Traces of the security system can still be found around the car. However, all is well; I have park, headlights and tail lights, side mark lamps, and all is well in my world.

somber and valiant67 like this.