Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Days

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Doug D, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

As some may know I had the climate control assembly replaced in my 2006 Ram which took 10 days. Took my truck in to have new tires installed and state inspection. Truck failed state inspection due to three of the four ball joints were bad. Then the shop discovered the lower ball joints were held on with rivets and not bolted to the lower control arm - tried to cut the rivet heads off but that didn't work. Ended up ordering new lower control arms, but no one (not even the dealer) had any in stock. Best the shop could do was delivery tomorrow by 11 am. The good news is the shop is eating the cost of the lower control arms. It's been one heck of a week.

Never heard of ball joints (original from the factory) being secured with rivets before. Arrrgh!!

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The 2nd gen Dakota had riveted ball joints. The rivets aren’t all easy to reach and grind out, but the replacements bolt in.

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The Caliber ball joints are also serviced with the control arm assembly. Many new cars and trucks are this way now.
    Moog did make a replacement ball joint held in by a snap ring, but I was never able to get them to fit tightly in the control arm and finally just replaced both control arms.

4. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Almost all early ball joints were riveted and replacements had bolts. Early Fr'd Falcons/Mustangs used to break the upper joint rivets. I fixed quite a few of them.

5. Doug D

It was taking far too long to grind out the rivets. At any rate the shop is eating the cost of the control arms. As it is my repair cost is 1459 including 4 new tires.

6. Doug D

It was taking far too long to grind out the rivets. At any rate the shop is eating the cost of the control arms. As it is my repair cost is 1459 including 4 new tires.

7. Doug D

I think the lower control arms the shop ordered have the ball joint already installed.

8. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Someone (68RT) beat me to the riveted ball joints, I have one knuckle with a lump in it from replacing the upper ball joints on my 1966 GT350. I missed the end of the cold chisel and got my finger instead.

9. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

GM was using riveted ball joints long ago.

10. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

You ground the heads off or popped them with a cold chisel and bolted the new one back lickety split. Made the screw in uppers that you needed specialty socket for seem like a joke.

11. Doug D

Update:
    Parts that arrived this morning were the wrong parts even though the invoice had the correct part #. Shop is working on getting the lower control arms w/ball joints today, but it is not looking good. At the very least he has the parts coming from NAPA for sure tomorrow, but he's still trying to get the parts today. But if he doesn't have them by 2 pm today it won't get done today as it is a 3 hour job and they close at 5 pm today. I

12. Doug D

Unable to source the parts today. NAPA delivery expected early afternoon tomorrow.

13. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Why could they just grind/ chiesel the rivets?
    - its usually quicker to remove rivets than it is to tamper with rusted bolts...

14. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

That depends on your tools. My Ingersoll 261 3/4" drive impact wrench makes quick work of stuck bolts. And it doesn't really matter if it's in reverse or forward---, the bolt will come out instantly.

15. Mastertech63

Supporter

If the 2006 suspension is the same as a 2004, which it is, then the lower ball joints are pressed out and in with a large c-clamp ball joint press. I routinely do these in my shop. About an hour per side if I take my time. Never had to replace a lower arm for balljoints on that generation Ram.
    But then again I wasn't there, so there may have been another issue causing the need for arms.

16. Doug D

The problem is the lower ball joints are fastened to the lower control arms with rivets instead of bolts. These are the original ball joints. Ideally the rivets would be ground off and then a C-clamp used to press out the ball joint. It was taking too long to grind/cut the rivets off. Otherwise there was no need to replace the arms. Maybe the 04's were not riveted. My '06 is an early production - manufactured Nov 2005.

17. Doug D

Again, it was taking far too long to remove the rivets with the tools (air hammers) they had. At any rate new lca's are due in tomorrow at their expense. I don't care at this point so long as the truck passes inspection.

18. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Always used heavy chisel to knock off head and a good heavy pin punch to knock out rest. Does pay to hit either squarely or hurt a lot.

tomit likes this.
  19. Doug D

I don't know if there is much of a difference in the LCA's, but my truck is RWD, not 4WD.

20. Doug D

The correct lca's arrived this afternoon and the work completed by 5:30 pm. Picked it up 30 minutes ago. Glad to have it back.

djsamuel, Devildodge and NYBo like this.