Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Days

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by Doug D, Nov 11, 2017.

1. dodge4x4

dodge4x4 Member

I rebuilt the front end on both my 2001 1500 and my 2005 3500. Both had no rivets or bolts, they were pressed in. However, I have found that in my research for parts and just general reading that it is recommended to replace the control arms when doing front-end work. Oh, and the ball joints on my grandson's 2014 3500 are pressed in too. He's got a better truck than me. Agggggggggggg LOL

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Interesting. My '06 had the ball joints pressed in and held by 4 rivets. From what I can tell it is possible to cut the rivets out and then use bolts to fasten the ball joints to the control arm once it is pressed in. But you have to have the right tools and a lot of patience. Or the entire control arm w/ball joint is replaced as a unit which is what the shop ended up doing.

At any rate, it's the first vehicle I've had to replace the ball joints on and I've had several log over 200,000 miles. Don't know if I mentioned it, but my Ram has just over 244,000 miles.

3. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Reading this kind of stuff makes me glad my truck has nice old fashioned king pins, 137,000 miles on them, still there and the original muffler.

4. NYBo

Level III Supporter

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The shop I was dealing with removed the rivets heads and still could not get the ball joint to release.