Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead gauges in my '92 2WD V8 automatic tranny Dak

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by lalunette, May 10, 2016.

1. lalunette

lalunette Member

Howdy folks...

So... my fuel gauge has been problematic since the day I bought the truck. For several months now the needle has settled at 1/8 full (regardless how much gas there actually IS in the tank). If brake hard enough the "low fuel" idiot light will go on... and then off.

Redneck solution? Always keep a full jerrycan in the bed.

Now, I realize my engine temp gauge has kacked and reads cold all the time. This one is more important as I really don't want to have to deal with an overheated engine. The gauge probably died during the winter and I just never noticed.

What should I be looking for to solve this... other than checking my fuses ??

Thx !!

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Probably the fuel sending unit for the first problem. The wiper contacts must have eroded on mine, because it reads full when topped off, then within 20 miles of driving, it swings wildly, erratically, between 1/16 and 3/4, getting worse within 100 miles and slamming to empty. Low fuel light comes on around 360 miles as expected. Sending unit is part of the pump, so I'm just trying to find enough time to drop the tank.

As to temp gauge, check the sending unit next to the thermostat. Mine crumbled open and would not read correctly, last year. You can still get a replacement.

3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

You can test the circuit for the temperature sensor to the temperature gauge. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position; do NOT start the engine. Remove the violet / yellow wire at the temperature sensor. Use a jumper wire and ground the sensor wire to the engine block. The temperature gauge should go to H (hot). If the gauge needle goes to H then you know the temperature gauge circuitry from the sender to the instrument panel is good. The problem lies with the temperature gauge sensor. If the gauge needle does NOT go to H then there is a problem in the wiring from the temperature gauge sensor through the instrument panel to the gauge.

Under the left side of the instrument panel there should be a 16 way electrical connector, blue in color. Not all cavities will have wires. Locate the dark blue / yellow wire. Use a jumper wire and ground. The fuel gauge should move towards F (full). If it does then the problem is with the fuel sending unit which is part of the fuel pump module in the tank or the wiring connector at the fuel tank. If the gauge does NOT move to F then there is a problem with the wiring to the instrument panel to the fuel gauge from this blue electrical connector.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Grounding of the fuel and temp sender wires is a quick and easy test. The gauge should peg full or hot.
    Do this test only for a brief time as a pegged gauge can be damaged if left that way for more than a few seconds.

5. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Here's a thread with a similar problem:

Dead gauges

Allan's advice proved to be the solution, though I recall my brother supplied some electrical spray cleaner instead of sandpaper.