Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead on the road...

Discussion in 'L: Horizon/Omni, Rampage, etc' started by 82JustinHorizon, Oct 9, 2017.

1. 82JustinHorizon

82JustinHorizon New Member

Hi all , Im back from my travels with my normally reliable and good 82 horizon . Went from the west coast of canada to northern manitoba and back with the thing without any serious car trouble . But now unfortunately the good times have ended. The motor suddently quit running while out for a drive and was unable to start again . It looks like the fuel pump isnt working now and also the rotor inside the distributor does not spin . Also ,after peeking into the timing belt on the top left side of the motor , the belt seems to be a little bit loose . Maybe not loose but not exactly tight . I cannot find out any info on whether or not a broken timing belt will damage this motor.

2. 82JustinHorizon

82JustinHorizon New Member

also the motor is 1.7 l . is there any other test to determine if its a faulty timing belt?

3. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

A 1.7 is a non interference Engine so there should not be any damage from a faulty belt.

Often the teeth strip off the belt near the crank so the belt can't turn the cam/distributor.

Thanks
    Randy

John Wood likes this.
  4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Watch the cam sprocket through the top cover inspection hole while the engine is cranking. It should turn.
    The belt will usually shed its teeth down by the crank sprocket as mentioned.

John Wood likes this.
  5. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Do you know how long ago the belt was changed?

6. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

If the rotor in the distributor does not spin, you very likely have a stripped or broken timing belt. It is a non-interference motor so no damage up top.

7. Delman

Delman Member

Yes, happened to me once with my Rampage. Manual recommends changing the belt @ each 60k. Anyone know where I can a shift linkage kit for an 83 Rampage?

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter