Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead on the road...

Discussion in 'L: Horizon/Omni, Rampage, etc' started by 82JustinHorizon, Oct 9, 2017.

1. 82JustinHorizon

Hi all , Im back from my travels with my normally reliable and good 82 horizon . Went from the west coast of canada to northern manitoba and back with the thing without any serious car trouble . But now unfortunately the good times have ended. The motor suddently quit running while out for a drive and was unable to start again . It looks like the fuel pump isnt working now and also the rotor inside the distributor does not spin . Also ,after peeking into the timing belt on the top left side of the motor , the belt seems to be a little bit loose . Maybe not loose but not exactly tight . I cannot find out any info on whether or not a broken timing belt will damage this motor.

2. 82JustinHorizon

also the motor is 1.7 l . is there any other test to determine if its a faulty timing belt?

3. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

A 1.7 is a non interference Engine so there should not be any damage from a faulty belt.

Often the teeth strip off the belt near the crank so the belt can't turn the cam/distributor.

Thanks
    Randy

John Wood likes this.
  4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Watch the cam sprocket through the top cover inspection hole while the engine is cranking. It should turn.
    The belt will usually shed its teeth down by the crank sprocket as mentioned.

John Wood likes this.
  5. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Do you know how long ago the belt was changed?

6. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

If the rotor in the distributor does not spin, you very likely have a stripped or broken timing belt. It is a non-interference motor so no damage up top.

7. Delman

Delman Member

Yes, happened to me once with my Rampage. Manual recommends changing the belt @ each 60k. Anyone know where I can a shift linkage kit for an 83 Rampage?

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

9. 82JustinHorizon

so im back here after doing the timing belt job myself and now its not looking good . i read the procedure from a book and it didnt seem to hard to do but i didnt fully understand some parts and now i guess thats probably why im having this problem .

basically , i took the thing all apart and got down to the timing belt . I found lots of teeth missing and the thing in very bad shape and got the new one on with all the marks seemingly in the right place and turned one of those shafts around a few times to see if the marks all re lined back up and they all seemed to . the procedure told me to use a tool to put the correct tension on but i figured it cant need to be so presice, and since i didnt have the tool i just put as much tension as i thought would be enough. also the procedure told me to check the valve clearances which im not sure about so i just skipped that step. so i screwed everything back together and started it up and immediately pouring out thick white smoke that smells like gas.

i dont have the slightest idea of what to do at this point. do i retighten the belt ? scrap the thing? looks like i might have caused irreversible damage to the motor? thanks so much as always for the help ive had from those on the site here. thank you

10. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I don't think the white smoke is related to the timing belt change.

If it started right up you most likely have the cam timing correct.

Have you run it long enough to warm the Engine to see if the smoke clears up??

White smoke is normally a result of a head gasket issue, not anything related to cam timing.

Thanks
    Randy

11. 82JustinHorizon

the thing was running fine the day it broke . Also the smoke smells realm strongly of gas , I think. I ran it for a little while but the smoke didn't clear. Is it possible for ignition timing to be out of sync?

12. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Check the timing. A timing light can check cam timing through the hole in the top belt cover. Distributor timing can be checked at the window in the bellhousing.
    Too much gas (rich) may be retarded timing, choke not opening enough (air cleaner vacuum hose must be plugged if it's off) or fouled (black) spark plugs.
    Do some more investigating, I doubt that the engine has been damaged by a broken belt.

13. 82JustinHorizon

hi there again . so i went and bought a timing light and reset the timing on the ignition bell housing , and the thing works ! shes runnin real good now but my inexperience and ignorance are still very high . i notice a a sticker under the hood that says something about the idle rpms and timing , i believe ignition timing . and it says 20 degrees . so is that what i need to set it to on that ignition bellhousing scale? i think that my scale only says 0 - 12 degress. also , can i dont any harm if i set it incorrectly?

14. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Most cars I've seen run from 12 degrees BTDC to 2 degrees ATDC. But I'm not familiar with the 1.7 L engine. ----- Reread the sticker?

15. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I'm not sure on an '82, but you may need to disconnect and plug the vacuum hose to the PCM before setting timing.
    There should be a noticeable RPM drop when the hose is unplugged. This is when you want to set timing.
    The carburetor throttle lever ground must be in contact with the solenoid stem to zero out timing.
    In order to set it to 20 deg BTDC, you will need an advance timing light. Set the dial to 20 and the light should then flash at the 0 deg mark on the bellhousing if the distributor is set correctly.