NewsWhat’s special about the Demon? • Demon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of the Pentastar V6

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by FGA cheerleader, Mar 17, 2017.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

I'm just hoping that the name "Slant 6" is still trademarked!

With this bunch.....you can't take anything for granted. This is the same company that let the name "Duster" expire, and now it's in the hands of Renault.:(

2. AdminDave

AdminDave Administrator Staff Member

It's only a slant six if it's slanted... ! and it would be really confusing.

I think a straight diesel would be a separate project. VM and FPT both have four cylinder diesels.

freshforged, suzq044 and JavelinAMX like this.
  3. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

FPT Industrial for 4.3 liter diesel.

4. James A

James A Member

These will be in Giorgio Charger and Challenger? I'm so excited at the thought of that.

somber likes this.
  5. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Member Level 2 Supporter

Funny thing is the 4.0L was based of the 1984 2.5L 4cyl. AMC , using a LOT of off the shelf parts, developed the 4cyl in under 30 months. There is so much shared with the earlier 258 that its assumed they were brothers. They are more like really, really, close southern cousins.

dmcdonald likes this.
  6. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

For me FCA's future engine strategy is very clear. That strategy have Ferrari in it, it's still very important for FCA although it's not formally part of it.

Retire four Italian gasoline engine families. TwinAir, FIRE, E.TorQ, gasoline part of Family B.
    Retire two American gasoline engine families. WGE and Pentastar.
    Retirement of Pentastar means retirement of Ferrari F160 V6 60° which is based around revised Pentastar engine block.

All this means exactly four living engines for FCA in 2020's.
    1. GSE (Global Small Engine), exactly 333 cc per cylinder. Currently we have Inline 3 and Inline 4 naturally aspirated versions. Turbo versions will be unveiled in the near future.
    2. GME (Global Medium Engine), slightly less than 500 cc per cylinder. Currently we have only 2.0 liter turbo as in new Alfa Giulia. American version of Inline 4 will debut this year. For most it is know as Hurricane. FCA developed both GME T4 M and GME T4 D. AFAIK 'M' stands for MultiAir while 'D' is for DOHC. We now know that FCA is also working on Inline 6 version GME T6. This could substitute 5.7 liter HEMI but we are long way from it. IMO, there is a possibility of Inline 3 1.5 liter engine from this family although it's questionable besides 1.33 Inline 4 GSE.
    3. HEMI - IMO, it will be premium or performance engine for FCA US products in the future.
    4. F154 V8 from Ferrari and Alfa Romeo 690T V6 90° derivate. All this engines have 86.5 mm bore. It's used in all V8 Ferrrari today and also with crossplane crankshaft for Maserati Quattroporte. Once when F160 V6 (it also has 86.5 mm bore) is retired 690T could fill its space.

somber and MoparDanno like this.
  7. MoparDanno

MoparDanno Active Member Level III Supporter

From what I have been told, don't expect a traditional inline 6 arrangement ( IE 4.0 Jeep style ). This will be an "inline" 6, but with some differences to help overall packaging. I do know that the TT motor is being treated like 2 separate 3 cyls. Each "3 cyl" will have its own turbo and intake and TB.

somber likes this.
  8. MoparDanno

And I would add that with the 5.7 continuing on until 2021-2022, we have a pretty good idea of when this new I6T and I6TT motor could debut....

somber, freshforged and Dave Z like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Wow. Nice idea. I'd hate to program for that. Especially if each one has its own timing...

Do we have a code name?

For packaging... a retired Chrysler guy mentioned to me that Alfa Romeo (I think) staggered cylinders in the block to save space. I wonder...

One quick aside: FCA is truly working as a world corporation on engines. A Chrysler guy is leading development but the products seem to reflect the best of each part of the company.

10. MoparDanno

I just pretty much gave you everything that I have on it at this point. And a lot of that ( if not most ) could potentially change. Although we know that engine development takes a long time ( 5-7 years ), so they will have to lock in certain parts of the design pretty early to make any sort of timeframe goals.

Even with that said, the troubled waters that the Hurricane has had to traverse ( see what I did there? LOL ) should be a lesson to ALL of us about timetables and engine development and how that can all get off the rails pretty quickly.

11. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Member Level 2 Supporter

Like a VR6 maybe?

12. redhed

redhed Active Member Level III Supporter

non traditional as in maybe some similarities to the VW VR6 engine??? :confused:

13. redhed

redhed Active Member Level III Supporter

ha you beat me to it!

14. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

No.

Mike

MoparDanno likes this.
  15. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

For Inline engines in longitudinal applications length and/or height could be an issue. We know that height issue is solved with Slant 6. Length is different. But usually auxiliary belts and their placing adds a lot on length. Mercedes solved that very elegantly on upcoming gasoline Inline 6. I pointed many time here to that engine. But it's not cheap solution and it's very unorthodox in 2017 but we are talking about 4 or 5 years from now although I'm hoping that GME T6 could debut in calendar year 2020. It depends on when they started and if it's basically GME T4 plus two cylinders more or something else. Development time when you have basic design from the start could take just about three years. Example is new TT V6 from Alfa Romeo. Just look at that engine. It looks like a two Inline 3 merged at a crankshaft. It eve has two ECU's.

somber likes this.