NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of the Pentastar V6

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by FGA cheerleader, Mar 17, 2017.

1. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

[Moderator sez: I think we all know not to repost copyrighted material.]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2017
    Mike V. likes this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

“It’s an all new clean sheet engine that just happens to be very similar to a Ferrari V8 with two cylinders removed.”

Mike V. likes this.
  3. Mike V.

Mike V. Moderator

That's pretty much it... and it's got a wet sump oiling system and a cross plane crankshaft to make it more economical.

Mike

4. MoparDanno

MoparDanno Active Member Level III Supporter

similar in the way that an A and an LA are similar.....

Just to be clear in Mopar terms :p

Mike V. likes this.
  5. 12soldier

12soldier Member

If it's Ferrari based, does this mean more maintaince intervals. I know the Ferrari 360 had to be serviced every 15,000 or so miles to the tune of $8,000 and up. I'm all for better technology in the engineering department, but more maintenance isn't a better trade-off. And why are there offerings in the electric engines for Mazeratti and not shared with Chrysler and other likes? I've seen the "plan" and read the delays, but surely there should be at least 1 car beyond the Pacifica with something in regards to Hybrid or all electric.

6. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...-Alfa_Romeo-Giulia_Quadrifoglio-OM-3rd_R1.pdf

7. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

Does anyone think there's a chance that the "HEMI" name will be lent to an engine with less than 8 cylinders eventually?

8. redhed

redhed Active Member Level III Supporter

and yet this new engine is supposed to be an I6? can't help but scratch my noggin a little!

9. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Active Member

Southern Cousins fits the bill.

Ruptured Duck likes this.
  10. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Member

I'm really encouraged to hear this! It helps give the lie to the idea that the former Chrysler Group is somehow being treated like Cinderella by evil step-mother "Sergionna".

Would Daimler have used such an approach in engine development? I won't answer that, since I think you guys already know the answer.

I already have visions dancing in my head of these engines having thier cylinder banks slanted at 45 degrees, to make for really low, sleek packaging.

And my ultimate fantasy.....an 8 cylinder version, which would be exclusive to a new Viper, and a Viper-based Imperial.

Don't take away my fantasies!.....They're all I have left!:p:D;)

Devildodge and Stéphane Dumas like this.
  11. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

The Pentastar was started under Daimler.

12. o_swas

o_swas Member Level III Supporter

Great info, thank you! Now, could somebody who please post a picture/drawing of the block or cylinder layout to help those of us who are less mechanically inclined understand what this "2 separate 3 cylinder" engine would look like? Especially to make the overall packaging smaller than a "normal" inline 6?

13. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

Was there any engine family shared between Chrysler and Mercedes except for specialty model(s)?

14. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

The Pentastar (Phoenix) was being developed for EU use as well as a 3.0 liter was in the plans. The design was so promising that it survived the sale by Daimler to Cerberus and came to fruition with the 2011 Grand Cherokee.

15. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

Question was:
    Was there any engine family shared between Chrysler and Mercedes except for specialty model(s)?

So you can simply answer with yes or no and if it's yes than say which engine it is because Pentastar is not the one.