AF: Details Regarding New Engines | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Details Regarding New Engines

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by Jerry Simcik, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Most of the mainstream turbo cars these days take regular but premium provides higher performance. Nothing different from my old Spirit R/T, really.

Tony K and mrkovash like this.
  2. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

To be honest I would much rather have the Spirit R/T then anything new

Dave Z likes this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

A fun, fast car but not something for a long trip to a rural area (or through a bad city).

One of the fastest cars I've driven that could get 30 mpg and hold five people, but a Challenger SRT would be better for highways and durability...

Tony K likes this.
  4. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

My 2010 Ram (which has VVT) idles smoother and get's 1 - 1.5 MPG better on the good stuff. The SoP sensor doesn't detect much power difference, but the difference in the idle can be felt and the MPGs improvement can be seen/measured.

5. GuidoFL

GuidoFL Well-Known Member

Straight six's gave way to the V6 which was/is more a more compact package. Now it's back to the straight six, hmmm ? Might work out in smaller lighter vehicles but in heavier vehicles you would have your foot in it way too much. And that would kill gas mileage !

James A likes this.
  6. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

If your foot it gonna be in it anyway you're getting low mpg no matter what

7. James A

James A Active Member

Very true IMO. To further your point, if the motor is in a performance car, specifically an R/T, everyone's foot is gonna be in it and when they see the MPG they'll probably wish they had a Hemi instead (even if it's just for the aesthetic). That's my take.

Jerry Simcik likes this.
  8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own opinion about what makes an engine so great. Yeah a v8 has great sound but when comparing a na v8 to a turbo i(even twin)v6 I will always pick the turbos due to the tuneability and to be able to make more horsepower easily when I feel the time has come

Ryan, Mopar392 and James A like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

How much time do engines spend idling? How much time on highways droning along at 75-80 mph? I suspect the straight six will have a real life advantage as well as an EPA one.

Any time we can stop FCA from paying Tesla, I'm happy...

Tony K, xjgary, Chebby7 and 9 others like this.
  10. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Fca sells a turbo in-line six in one of its heaviest products.
    and it has 1000 ft-lbs of torque

xjgary, Chebby7, brewdad and 4 others like this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Fact is, things come and go and come back...

1) Convertibles: dead, till Lido brought 'em back.
    2) Crossovers (tall wagons) - the default car style till the 1940s!
    3) Straight-six engines
    4) Four-cylinders: really hot in the 1910s-1930s, pretty dead from the 1940s to the 1970s, hot in the 1980s...

xjgary, Tony K, Jerry Simcik and 4 others like this.
  12. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Number three makes a good truck or Jeep engine. Limited use in cars and crossovers. V6s are more economical to build as you can spread them out and use in any drive configuration for car and crossovers. Just my opinion.

James A likes this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

With well over a half-million Rams sold last year, a dedicated truck engine is not a crazy idea.

14. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

The notion that ANYONE has to PAY anyone else for producing something that public very, very clearly wants is problematic.

From what I've seen, turbos don't like to be "lugged". That doesn't bode well for highway cruising at low RPMs, unless this thing is built with an undersquare design and is higher in "natural," low-RPM torque (which isn't likely if it's also a "screamer")... That would likely mean the rear diff would be raised to keep the RPMs up, or the transmission would be tuned to downshift or come out of lock-up more easily. Neither of these would help with fuel usage...

While I understand what you are saying here (it's really easy to add a bit more boost!), FCA (and others) is making it harder and harder and harder to retune anything anymore...

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

It's a conservative free-market idea, replacing the old “if you miss the numbers you pay the government” system. Personally I like the latter better. When it's enforced.

These are not issues on modern turbo engines. Don't use the Fiat 1.4 as an example, though. And very-wide-range automatics resolve these problems well. The new Toyota eight-speed has a considerably wider range than the ZF eight-speed used by Dodge/Jeep/Ram, too. (As I recall the GM/Ford ten-speed doesn't). Modern autos help.

I deliberately lugged a Civic Si to see what would happen and it handled it remarkably well. Variable valve timing may help. I don't know how they do it. Nothing is like my 2.2 Turbo III. Then again, even the earlier Turbo II was far better in that regard...

Everyone is.

Someone posted this link here and I followed it and found it interesting - I've said for a while I thought maybe car regulations should go on hold and we should look at commercial trucks for a while:

California moving from car emissions to a bigger problem—big trucks

Side note, every time they tighten emissions rules on big trucks, there's a rush to buy the current ones before the new regs take hold. The lighter side is that the very old, most polluting trucks tend to get junked in that process. (Though I am all for a bunch of them being kept by collectors, very few collectors drive 40,000 miles per year.)

Tony K and page2171 like this.
  16. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

I've often wondered about a V6 engine with a 30 degree bank for saving space in the engine bay. I know VW had a V6 engine with a 15 degree bank, but I've never seen one, or even heard one running. The firing interval would be uneven, however the firing interval is also uneven in a V6 with a 90 degree bank, and Chrysler Corp used one of those for years in light trucks. Any thoughts??

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The only reason for having the 3.9 V6 with its 90° bank was desperation. It was tolerable in the day with an automatic. Today it would not be acceptable.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  18. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Exactly. Desperation in the R & D budget. If I remember correctly, the 3.9 Litre V6 was really just a 318 after a trip to the Butcher Shop...with 2 cylinders hacked off with a cleaver.:D

Tony K and Chase300 like this.
  19. sickboy

It’s something jaguar is doing to this day.

20. sickboy

If I recall, the elimination of a crank driven accessory drive would allow enough room for transverse applications (same length as the v6 it replaces). Remember that bmw and now Mercedes are using i6 in their car applications. If an i6 could completely replace the v6, then I’d say the i6 is more economical to build

Tony K likes this.