Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DGC/T&C Windshield Wipers

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by page2171, Dec 14, 2017.

1. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

We got our first taste of winter this week, and it was our first winter experience with the 2012 DGC. Unfortunately is wasn't a completely enjoyable experience. We got a little ice build up on the wipers, which was enough for them to do absolutely nothing when trying to clean the windshield. Even when we made sure to remove any ice or snow from around the wipers, they still iced up and were worthless. Do I just have garbage wiper blades? Or, is this a common issue? Any recommendations for better wiper blades for winter?

The last time we lived in a place that got actual winter weather we had our 2002 DGC, which had the defroster grid for the windshield wipers. Its too bad that feature got cut to save money.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I use the beam style wiper blades as they fit the glass curvature better and have other advantages:
    Anatomy_550px.jpg
    When I park, I lift the blades from the glass so they don't freeze to the glass:
    How-to-Change-your-Windshield-Wipers.jpg
    My wife uses the Rain-x washer fluid. It costs more, but doesn't freeze up as easily:
    079118681012.jpg
    Winter driving can be a challenge. It is best to be prepared for very bad weather.

page2171 and Doug D like this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I have to admit I miss the defroster grid for windshield wipers that our '00 T&C Ltd had. I have the beam type wipers on our Journey. Haven't experienced any snow/ice conditions with them to comment. Only problem I've had with them is they started chattering not long after they were installed.

page2171 likes this.
  4. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I'll have to look and see what we have on the DGC when my wife gets home. I have the beam style on my Aura, and haven't had any issues with them.

5. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

I use good ole fashioned winter wiper blades. You know, the ones with the rubber boot on them. Never an issue. If you look around you can get a 28" such blade.

page2171 likes this.
  6. Doug D

I had no problem finding 28" blades for my T&C which are longer than the 24" blades on my Ram.

7. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Well, I looked, and I have the traditional style blades on the DGC. They are probably the ones that were on it when it went into storage four years ago, so they are probably due to be replaced anyway.

8. Doug D

As it is recommended to replace the blades every 6 months and yours are 4 years old might explain why they aren't doing a good job. Probably have a bit of dry rot.

MPE426HEMI and page2171 like this.
  9. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

My 2001 had that great wiper defrost zone on the bottom of the windshield. Like everything that makes sense, they got rid of it. I replace my blades yearly, usually just before Winter. The factory blades I had on anything only ever lasted a year anyway. I always found the metal frame blades to work the best, I've tried the others and didn't like them. I didn't find them any better. In the morning (Winter) I always lift the blades and straighten them out to brake free any ice and make sure they are not froze stiff. They will curl more than the curvature of the windshield, when they freeze up overnight and that's when you get no contact, only the outer edges . I've never used any yet that didn't curl after a freeze. Even when they are new. You can try leaving them up, off the windshield, over night, like I see people doing.

valiant67 likes this.
  10. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Well, I replaced the wipers with a pair of the beam type. They work much better. Next problem, I apparently didn't use enough of the windshield wiper fluid before topping it off with the stuff that doesn't freeze. So, because of the temperatures the last few days, I still can't wash the windshield. Hopefully it will warm up enough soon for it to thaw, then I'll wash the windows like crazy, and fill it up again with the stuff that doesn't freeze.

11. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

I have been using the Rain-X deicer/ washer fluid for years.
    I have noticed with the beam style wiper blades they do not wipe the edge of the windshield because of the curve on the outside of the passenger side of the glass. Where the traditional style wipe fine. This is on my 92 Grand Voyager.

12. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Well, I guess I'll find out if it ever warms up enough for the washer fluid to thaw. :(

13. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

Take the washer bottle off and bring indoors.

14. MPE426HEMI

I tried the beam style once on my DGC and took them off two days later and returned them for the original steel frame type. I’ve used those ever since. I had the same problem with the beam type. I found they streaked like hell also.

15. chuckt

chuckt Well-Known Member

Good info on using beam-type wiper blade assemblies. I cannot get the rear window blade to work properly and it always leaves the tip portion unwiped. And this happens no matter the season. I will try one the first opportunity. Also, my neighbor waxes his windows and claims that rain runs off so well that the wipers are sometimes not needed.

16. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

I have been using Rain-X for years and at around 40 mph the rain blows off the windshield.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  17. MPE426HEMI

Only ones I ever buy now. Great price too. I like the rain-X weather beaters. Not for the rain-x hype either, they just work well! The water will bead with the use of them, as you said.

18. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Temperature is supposed to get up into the 20's tomorrow, so maybe the windshield washer fluid will thaw.

19. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Too stinkin' cold to do that. Today is the first day in a week where the temperature has been double digits above zero. :eek:

20. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Good news! Heat wave today, and temps make it into the low 20's. This was enough to thaw the washer fluid, and so I've been cleaning the windshield like crazy as I've been driving. Gotta make room for some of the Rain-X washer fluid.