Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Alfa make a Large Ad Buy or did MT legit love the Giulia?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by TripleT, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

Until you drive one you just can't understand. Actually you should first drive a BMW and then drive the Giulia. Then you'll understand the hype.

2. jeffcrane

jeffcrane Active Member

In all fairness, many, many cars that have won COTY have gone on to big sales numbers and a lot of happy customers. I went and looked at the Giulia when they first got them in Jacksonville; it is an impressive automobile. It is much more main stream than most Alpha Romeo designs from the past, and a lot cheaper than most of the cars it competes with. More mainstream, yet it is still an Alfa to drive and that means a lot to people that have driven or owned one in the past. I owned a `73 Alpha Spider for many years, it was a great car, very reliable and the best driving riding two seat roadster they ever made at a semi reasonable price. And no, Alphas are not American muscle cars, we have Dodge for that. It takes a lot of sorting out to successfully combine two very distinctly different car manufacturers with such varied products, but so far they do seem to be slowing heading in that direction. FCA has announced the money spent to develop the Giulia platform would be shared with Dodge, and if it could not be shared the Giulia could not be developed so extensively and expensively. They do have plans to share the platform. If they were to develop a new sports sedan for Dodge based on the Giulia platform it would be a very positive step. Alpha has one of the most storied sports car histories of anyone. One more point most people miss about Alfa; Alfa was building and selling great Sports Sedans in the mid fifties, when BMW was struggling to sell economy cars. The statement that the sports sedan was actually first built and sold by Alpha is an honest and true statement. Just as Mopar developed/invented the min van, Alfa developed and sold the first true sports sedans, way back in the fifties. Check it out sometime, inform yourself. If you do I expect some of you might gain some appreciation and maybe even some pride to know Mopar is now associated and benefitting from the association with Alfa and Maserati, two genuine Italian sports car legends.

humdrum, djsamuel, UN4GTBL and 10 others like this.
  3. romalerig

romalerig Well-Known Member

A.L.F.A.= Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili.
    :D

GasAxe and T_690 like this.
  4. TripleT

Level III Supporter

I swear to goodness he was in front of me in the outgoing immigration line at FCO.

ScramFan likes this.
  5. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Another Alfa forum I'm on has the word "Alpha" tagged as a swearword in its filtering software ;)

Now, if I could stop typing "Chyrlser" or "Chrlyser"...

6. duncanpohl

duncanpohl Active Member

I have been a long time MT subscriber. Yes, they have named Chrysler products as winners in the past but if you read their articles on a regular basis, you do get the impression that they have something against Chrysler. It's almost like the Chrysler cars have to be so much better than the others that they they simply can't be ignored while others appear to win simply because they were marginally better or the judges just basically had to make a judgement call. My conclusion from the years of subscribing and reading MT articles is that if Chrysler wins then, MAN, that has to be SOME kind of vehicle!!!

7. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

Yeah... this is not going to help Fiat, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, or Ram -> there is no awareness in the marketplace that Alfa has anything to do with Chrysler.

The Giulia is beautiful and impressive as hell, however, NAFTA and its profitability will remain unchanged by the success of Alfa.

..that being said I think the Wrangler will win a #$@ ton of awards upon release, and the new Ram 1500 will be truck of the year for at least 2 years straight.

somber, UN4GTBL, MPE426HEMI and 2 others like this.
  8. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

I wanted to post a picture, but the host is currently unavailable.
    The Giulia sold 33k units worldwide in 2017. Still missing December, but it'll probably reach at least 35k.
    Next year, with full sales of Giulia and Stelvio everywhere, they should sell at least 80k of both vehicles.

ScramFan likes this.
  9. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

They wanted to sell 100K this year.

10. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Here's an interesting analysis of the "success" or otherwise of Giulia: Warm welcome or cold shoulder: Alfa Romeo Giulia [w/poll] - carsalesbase.com (at http://carsalesbase.com/warm-welcome-cold-shoulder-alfa-romeo-giulia/ ) I tend to agree with the conclusion: FCA publicised a target that was overly ambitious for a new entry into the USA. Ignore that, and look at the actual figures, and the model is making slow and steady inroads, which is a good sign for its long-term prospects.

One commenter below that article added some very interesting figures from Europe, which suggest that sales numbers alone are not everything when it comes to success. (I believe we've seen these posted here in graphical form already). Giulia is indeed selling in smaller numbers, but the mix of Giulia sales is biased much more towards the top, high-margin specifications than the competitors (BMW would kill to have 5% of its 3-Series sales be M3s), and Alfa is competing strongly wherever it offers a product.

For Jan-Sep 2017, D-sedans in EU:
    High-performance models
    QV 1.599 sales
    Μ3 Competition 1.475
    M3 414 (Both M3 variants together do outsell Giulia QV)
    C63 AMG S 960
    C63 AMG 751 (both C63 variants together do outsell Giulia QV)
    ATS-V 26.

200-280 hp:
    Giulia 280hp 1.912 sales
    XE 250&240hp 862
    330i 252hp 750
    A4 2.0 252hp 614
    C300 245hp 279
    Volvo, Cadillac, Lexus are far away

200 hp:
    C200 7.009 sales
    320 4.090
    Giulia 2.179
    A4 2.107
    XE 1.361
    C250 775

Diesel 200-250hp
    C250d 3.718
    Giulia 1.760
    XE 547
    325d 130

Diesel 170-190 hp
    C220d 20.255 sales
    XE 2.0D 10.559
    320d 10.403
    A4 2.0 TDI 5.287
    Giulia 2.2 D180 5.199
    S60 D4 925

Diesel 130-150 hp:
    A4 2.0 TDI 150hp 11.472 sales
    318d 6.125
    C200d 135hp: 5.531
    Giulia 2.2D 150hp: 5.531
    320d 163hp 2.391
    XE 2.0d 163hp 2.275

somber, AlfaCuda, UN4GTBL and 3 others like this.
  11. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

They had the Giulia on the Grand Tour last season and it was loved.

#51 ramajama, Dec 11, 2017 at 8:21 AM
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 8:27 AM
    UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

I remember my grandmothers little Rambler. She loved that car...

13. Deckard_Cain

I know what they said that they wanted to sell. I think you already noticed the plan changed a bit and they're beting more heavily on the NA product.
    The new Alfas have been postponed to 2019/2020. And I believe 100k were after the Stelvio/Giulia were introduced in all markets fully. The roll-out was slower than expected (as usual in FCA).

Marchionne should know not to run his mouth.

AlfaCuda and GasAxe like this.
  14. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Alfa Romeo Giulia upgraded leather was the highlight of Ward Automotive and other car mags when touching it was pure ecstatic. I have to agree...but the downfall of this vehicle is dependability.

15. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Yes, you are correct.

But what this tells me is that Alfa is still losing money. It typically takes about 100K units for a product to break-even. I feel Alfa might get there next year, but there is no guarantee, especially without new product.

Building the Dodge CUV at Cassino will help hit that break-even point.

somber likes this.
  16. T_690

T_690 Active Member

Much less than 100k...

I don't get why are some preserving with story about Italian Dodge.

17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Screenshot_20171211-094444.jpg
    Giorgio architecture strikes again... Giuila gets to be one of Car and Driver's 10 Best for 2018...

AlfaCuda likes this.
  18. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

With all the changes from flex to plati-tecture, I don't know if the 100k/year breakeven point still stands. I don't trust that the Giulia can now be economically free and clear of needing a stable-mate. I would expect that a higher percentage of top trims would lower the target volume regardless.

somber and DAGAR like this.
  19. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

And 76 and 78

20. Deckard_Cain

The Giulia already has a stable-mate. It's called Stelvio.
    And by the way, Stelvio is the money maker. Giulia is the car they had to launch because it would be unacceptable for a brand like Alfa Romeo to not have a competitor against the german sedans if it wanted to be taken as a serious contender in the premium segment.

It's the same reason Jaguar has the XE, even though their money-maker is the F-Pace.
    Now we have to see next year if the Stelvio has what it takes to compete with the XC60 and the F-Pace in the North American market. In Europe it won't sell as those two.