AF: Did FCA call it right on cars? | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did FCA call it right on cars?

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by Beentherebefore, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

OK, I'll concede the point since you obviously have more details than I do.
    Since you were the one that stated back in post #7 that the tooling has been paid for (and that, to me, the Charger and Challenger exteriors i.e., tooling have not changed in any noticeable major way), I assumed that the tooling had about reached it's useful life. If the cars did have some new tooling requirements, then it can't really be paid off yet.

Actually, I hope that you are right, in which case Charger/Challenger will be one of the few American "cars" still being built which might add to their reputation and market attractiveness. In that position, they will mainly be competing with Asian/German competitors and will have to step up their quality reputations to those levels.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  2. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

On the way to looking up the 2020 Soul to see what it looks like (eep.) I also saw some pics and video of the new Mazda 3 hatch. That is one seriously attractive vehicle.

3. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Back end looks mashed in, IMO. Like a Pinto that got rear ended!
    maxresdefault.jpg

Mark Powers and wtxiceman like this.
  4. patricklynch

patricklynch Mopar starship captain

You just summed up perfectly why I'm hanging on to a 2002 Concorde Lxi. We use the trunk and backseat for hauling things way more than I imagined when I bought it in 2012. My main issue with the car is how low it sits to the ground compared to my other vehicles. Getting it in and out of my driveway requires a bit of finesse to keep from scraping the bottom of the car.

Dave Z likes this.
  5. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

You sound like a perfect candidate for a Caravan...
    I rarely have the seats up.

wvutuba, somber and patricklynch like this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

They are pretty amazing cars, we miss our 2000 300M and it wasn't as practical (lower gas mileage, smaller overall due to the performance gearing.) And if you think you need to finesse to avoid scraping, try a Dart Aero one day. Now that’s a half-baked car! (Anyone wanna trade for any other Dart?)

patricklynch likes this.
  7. patricklynch

My fiancee would be the perfect candidate for a Caravan. She started driving my Concorde after she got rid of her 2008 Ram and she has a pop-up bakery business and has been using the car a lot for that. Sometimes she uses my Dakota, but right now its in the garage waiting for a new spring clip for the clutch fork so I can finish putting it back together.

8. patricklynch

This is actually my 2nd Concorde. I had a beautiful 1999 Concorde Lxi that got t-boned in 2012. The second car wasn't quite as nice as the first but it's got 232,000 miles on it now so it can't be all bad. The 1999 car replaced an '89 LeBaron Coupe. It had more than twice the horsepower, got the same gas mileage or better with the 3.2 and had the comfort and room of my '79 St. Regis. I can't say I missed the LeBaron much after that except for the ease of repairs. The LH car in many ways is a harder car to work on. But when they're good, they're fantastic to drive. Almost like a C-body.

I've looked at Darts. My dad was considering one before he passed away as an replacement for his '93 Acclaim. We passed. I'd rather drive a 70's Dart with 200k on a Slant Six than drive the 21st Century version.

9. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Regarding your view of a Dart/Slant-Six ...

Years ago we had a '71 Plymouth Scamp Slant-Six. Dynamite car. Well over 200k miles ( at least 235k on the clock ) at the end. We drove the wheels off of it - It stayed together and looked great for its age/mileage until there was no more. That Slant-Six is one of God's engines ... it was greater than the sum of its parts.

I know this was before the cars you were talking about, but I sense a similar usefulness was had with your Concorde as we had with our Scamp.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The LH cars were just amazing... I miss them. RWD is all very nice for high performance but the light feel and comfort of the LH was nice too...

The Dart's pretty good if you avoid the Fiat equipment.

tlc, ehaase and patricklynch like this.
  11. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Mazda was tied up with Ford for some decades and I guess during their "wedding", they checked Ford's closet for some old blue prints of the Pinto and they imagined an updated Pinto for the 2010s-2020s. ;-)

DC-93 likes this.
  12. patricklynch

I had a '74 Duster with the Space Duster package I wish I'd kept in some ways, but not others. It was a car that I discovered had a 1975 VIN tag screwed over top of the '74 tag among other things. That car had a lot of utility and it while it was slow on take off could keep up with interstate traffic well enough. There were a lot of Slant Six cars in the family, Darts, Dusters,Valiants and one '63 Polara. The '02 Concorde had to be brought back up to snuff after a lot of previous owner abuse and some of the repairs were crazy making enough to long for another old A-body with a Slant Six. Once I got the Concorde past that point, it's been a good car if you don't count things like plastic interior door handles that break and crappy winter heat. I just can't bring myself to drop the whole dashboard to put in a new and unclogged heater core. But, yes, the Concorde has been a very useful car. Wish I could have bought it new.

13. JavelinAMX

I looked mightily for the true Caravan ( you know, the SWB Caravan ) and came-up Bupkis . We went to alternate choices .

The Mazda MPV - 2001, no less - turned out to be a very strong Minivan. Couldn't be happier.

All this to say I rarely used the third row, and only mildly used the second row. Second row could only fold the seatbacks flat onto the seat squab - but that's the way we worked it 95% of the time. ( Third row collapsed into the floor ).

14. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Oh please......and the earth was flat......

ScramFan likes this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Your beef is not with me. I am merely repeating what was told numerous times in 2012, it has nothing to do with a flat-earth society:
    dodge dart alfa dna - Google Search (at https://www.google.com/search?q=dodge+dart+alfa+dna&oq=dodge+dart+alfa+dna&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60j0.6127j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 )
    Or if you want it straight from the horse's mouth:
    FCA US Media - Dodge Hits the Mark With the All-new 2013 Dodge Dart Compact Car (at http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=11816&mid=2 )

16. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

SWB Caravans are pretty useless. When the LWB came out in 88, I was sold and so were millions of others!

For the record - I'd rather walk than drive a Japanese vehicle.

17. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

My comment is based on your continual way to take a dig at FCA no matter how suttle, we agree at times, but this reminds me of why we most often don't.....just no reason for it....

18. JavelinAMX

My Mazda has been so good, I'd go for a Mazda3 Hatch in a heartbeat.

I was hopeful that FCA would hook-up with Mazda to Badge their small car as a replacement Dart ( remember SM's comments involving seeking a partner for such a car? ).

I went out of my way to test a Mazda 5, and it was pretty impressive. It just didn't come across more favorable than the Mazda MPV. The one I have now is the 2001. Ours has the weaker 2.5L V6. We had one before ... a 2002, which had the 3.0L V6. That was the better package. But I digress.

The Grand Caravan/T&C just doesn't fit my needs - I need one which is more mid-size. I've driven land yachts - owned a Cadillac deVille - so I'm no stranger to long/large footprint vehicles.

#58 JavelinAMX, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Sorry, I didn't realize quoting FCA for historical accuracy on the Dart's origins was "negative". I'll make a note of that and file it away.

20. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-3-hatchs-rear-visibility-is-precisely-as-1830754940 I'll just leave this here.