NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel emissions scandal goes on...

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Dave Z, Mar 1, 2017.

1. FGA cheerleader

FGA cheerleader Member

FCA is in interesting position right now. They are on rice above industry level in almost every major European market. They are making money which is something GM could not do in something like 20 years even if in last years it has or had larger market share than FCA.
    So maybe we are talking about political games here. Germany and France are attacking Italy which basically has just one car group unlike them which both has 2 or more. I will not go so far.

But MJAB pointed it correctly. I was not so much into that and even if FCA is not so "clean" as Italian minister imputes they are not at fault by European law because test procedure are very strict unlike in the US. And there is no doubt that all carmakers were taking advantage of such a strict rules. But IMO that will not be possible in the future. It will be very similar to EPA's certification. But than we can also ask who is responsible for that, which agency, is it still country based or EU-centric.

Prabhjot likes this.
  2. AmpLighter

AmpLighter Member

Wanted to clue you in on learning how to read between the lines.. If one had truly listened to what Pres Trump said last night during his address.. While talking about renewing the pipeline, getting steel pipes, renewing coal blah blah.. he goes on to say that he is going to eliminate or cut funds from wasteful organizations (left un-named) and divert these funds to a more reliable source. If you don't understand what I'm saying.. let's skip tot he quick.. funds going to the EPA will be cut or diverted to other agencies which in tern will eliminated a few unwanted devices on our cars and trucks. Give it time.. and watch the fun.

Oh and btw.. I'm sure you all maybe aware of a several companies that swap VW engines into Jeeps.. I'm under the speculation that EPA not knowing about this swap, grabbed a converted jeep and tested the.. wait for it.. VW Diesel engine thus giving jeep a failing grade.

3. DarkSky

DarkSky Cruising Around Level III Supporter

I agree with your first point, but this seems like quite a stretch...

4. dakota21

dakota21 Member Supporter

I'm not an EPA fan, but I know they're not that dumb. If they did that they would be a laughing stock.

5. AmpLighter

AmpLighter Member

Merely speculation.. But you never know.. at this point and you can thank VW for all this.. the epa is watching everything little thing.. which will soon change.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

I think you mean “loose,” not “strict.” The procedures have holes you can drive a Ram 3500 through. With duallies. Towing a boat.

No. That doesn't happen.

j8jeeper and valiant67 like this.
  7. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

Trump may cut the testicles off the EPA, but CARB still exists.

Every state has their own version of the EPA, so the central one does not need to be so big. It should only get involved with interstate issues. That means that
    states like New York and Massachusetts could keep the lawsuit alive.

8. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

I am laughing a little at the issues in Europe.

They formed the EU mostly for economic reasons, but still have so much national conflict that it is funny. I think France and Germany do want to attack FCA on this issue, partly to deflect and party to score points for the home team.

9. GasAxe

GasAxe Active Member

Exactly. These states follow CARB: Arizona, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  10. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

All I have to say is air conditions in NJ have improved but there are still a lot of upper resperatory issues. It gets worse in metropolitan areas. The brown bubble srrounding NYC has gone since the EPA stepped in. I don't care if diesels exist or not, just fix emissions. I have grand kids with those issues to think of.

jimboy, Dave Z, KrisW and 4 others like this.
  11. somber

somber 370,000 miles Level 2 Supporter

So, when is it expected that we'll see the VM 3.0 in Ram 1500s again?

12. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

You should also be worried by PM2.5 emissions of GDI vehicles that, strange fcat, at lest for me, EPA omitted to impose rules for years. Only now in 2017 slowly some rules are introduced.
    If I am not wrong more than 40% of new vehicles sold in U.S.A. with gasoline engines have GDI engines.

13. Dave Z

14. Dave Z

Did ANYONE read my article?

15. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

(Ironic) Germany: another victory for Volkswagen group in its global campaign to destroy alternative or non usual fuels. Natural gas (methane).
    With the help of KBA (german authority for vehicle homologation, vehicles safety, ...) explosion of CNG tanks at refuel stationd were possible in Germany, Denmark and Sweden.
    Germany transport minister accused Italy to have a legislation on steel CNG tanks that not allowed vehicles to explode (at least for now).
    The italian law impose to remove CNG tanks from cars every four years and substitute with equivalents ones that have been inspected and pressure tested (in the cost of natural gas for automotive use there is an amount for tanks inspection and test service). Car owner doesn't purchase new tanks, it pays for remove/install service.
    (end of ironic part)

Cause of the problem is corrosion from inside of the steel of VW CNG vehicles manufactured from 2006 to 2010.
    News about corrosion problems were known since 2010. A limited recall was done in 2012.
    KBA allowed VW to not do the recall till 2016 (when cars started to explode at refuelling stations).
    Luckily no person died, some injured. Law doesn't allow to be in the car while refuelling.

Reports Of Volkswagen Cars Exploding In European Gas Stations (at https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2016/09/16/europe-volkswagen-cars-explode-in-gas-stations/#698c23a3211f )