NewsDemon to beat Exorcist? • FCA profits as buyers drop sedans • FCA: more profits

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel emissions scandal goes on...

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Dave Z, Mar 1, 2017.

1. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Active Member

Very good point.

The Fourteen have affected the whole CAFE Shebang.

The 54.5 MPG target was a California-inspired number. Before Obama capitulated to CARB to take up the mantle of their suggested CAFE number, he originally wanted to step up GW Bush's 30 or 35 MPG a few MPG by year 2020. But Obama's CAFE scheme added 5 years to make it look more Obama than either Bush or CARB (as if we can't see the shells move, or remember what's under each shell).

Internet Search Obama's speeches on the topic up to his 1st year in office ... somehow, when you measure the tone prior to the 54.5 MPG CAFE announcement and then measure the tone afterward, it sounds like totally different people. I think CARB treated him to a nice lunch one of those early days.

{ * - Read your article, Dave Z. Appreciate the input ... Thank you }

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

Most Ram Ecodiesel owners were averaging a mixed of city and hwy at 25mpg and hwy trips average well over 30mpg. So it might give off more emissions but its saving the planet with less oil used... problem solved! lol

3. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Meanwhile, Carmax has 2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab diesels with 10,000 - 20,000 miles priced at $41,000 - $42,000.

This tells me people want them used if they can't buy them new.

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Those mileage are right in line with what a buddy of mine has been getting with his. He was getting 23 mpg in local driving and 30 mpg hwy. He gets 14 mpg towing his 28' camper which is far better than my Hemi would get (7 mpg).

guyverfanboy and UN4GTBL like this.
  5. Robert Johnson

Robert Johnson Member

The most important thing about towing is performance (to me) not mpg while towing. The ED is fine for light duty towing around town where it's excellent torque really shines. Towing big loads at hwy speed is something different as one needs HP to keep up speed in headwinds ect. If I was towing big loads I would get the Hemi all day long.

6. freshforged

freshforged Active Member Level 2 Supporter

The Eco Diesel is packaged for light towing, thus the 1500. If you're doing any heavy towing over long distances you should be looking at a 2500. At this point it would be between the Cummins and the Hemi. You might still prefer the Hemi, and that's great, but neither the ED or the 1500 were ment to do what you're scenario suggests.

UN4GTBL and Robert Johnson like this.
  7. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Active Member

Not intending to go even further off-topic, but to the point of Petrol / Diesel -

We must also remember Dodge trucks (remember them?) also offered the truck V10 as tow package power ( ending its run there in the early 2000's? ) with excellent low-end grunt and Horsepower { 310 HP @ 4100 RPM, 455 LbFt Torque @ 2400 RPM according to what I was able to Search-up }.

I realize that is now way deep into the bygone days. But the Brand came equipped. Your choice at the time was Cummins D or Petrol V10. You, the customer, were covered.

Today's EcoDiesel slots in fairly nicely where the Truck V10 used to occupy. But as a V6 cranking out numbers fairly close to the old Dodge Truck V10 - and doing so with such a noticeable improvement in fuel economy, well ...

You can fill in the blank.

However, I do acknowledge each of us has a sweet-spot smack dab in the middle of our comfort zones, so the Petrol 8's often times supplies that for us.

Robert Johnson and freshforged like this.
  8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

As long as you don't mind stopping every 150-200 miles to refuel. ;)

9. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Member Level III Supporter

Cummins is what first brought me to the Mopar world. You can't beat them towing heavy, day in and day out.

moparfan06, Doug D and freshforged like this.
  10. MJAB

MJAB Active Member

Germany vs. Italy dispute with mediation of European Union is over.
    The procedure started voluntary in february 2016 by FCA to update software was considered by Germany and Italy enough.

It was today published in some european media, but I have no direct link.
    Today in the news here are Renault managers and Audi (german police raids at several Audi offices, same day of Audi managers presentation conference on economic-financial results).