Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving into new Mopar V8s

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Aug 7, 2017.

1. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

The Hemi is a HUGE marketing tool. I hope they figure a way to keep it around.

James A and aldo90731 like this.
  2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The weights you have listed are astoundly inaccurate. Giulia QV models in the US are weighing in around 3750 lbs. A loaded TI can weigh 3800 lbs.

To take it a step further, the Giulia is NOT a full-size car. Anyone that expects a full-size, rear wheel drive, V8 powered sedan to weigh in at 3,600 lbs is simply incorrect in their assumptions.

Mike

#22 Mike V., Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    James A, cygnus and Tomguy like this.
  3. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

See comment above.

Mike

James A likes this.
  4. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed. Just get rid of the "H" and it even sounds Italian.

EMI.

James A likes this.
  5. James A

James A Active Member

I have a V6 2013 Dodge Charger - which should be the same as your car more or less - It's just under 4000 pounds... I don't know how a 300 could be 400 pounds less than a Charger.

6. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

He's got a 300M. Totally different animal.

James A likes this.
  7. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

A base Charger R/T weights 4,270 pounds. With a slight decrease in length and more advanced weight saving technology, coming in at 4,000 pounds or a little less seems perfectly reasonable.

8. James A

James A Active Member

I see! Got it :)

GasAxe likes this.
  9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

This has kind of been the talk for a long time. Ma Mopar went to 4 and V6 as the only engines in its cars starting in the 80s, FWD was all you could get until the charger Sedan/300, and a truck was the only V8 available while that was happening. I have been saying for years a 4.0 Hemi would be great, in the history archives the 241 is the smallest Hemi you could get. Put a pair of turbos on that, have one run 4 cylinders and one to push the other four cylinders in MDS mode and mileage would be at least 30+mpg.

10. adaptabl

adaptabl Active Member

The Hemi design head is poor for emissions. That is why even the current Hemi engine is a semi-Hemi. The Hemi design will be dead for the next generation of engines. I can see FCA calling any head design a hemi no matter what the real design is.

"Some are calling the engine a "semihemi" because combustion chambers are not perfectly spherical; each chamber is slightly filled in with metal on the sides opposite the twin spark plugs.

"It must have hemispherical combustion chambers or it's not a hemi," says legendary drag racer Don "Big Daddy" Garlits, now retired and living in Ocala, Fla. Garlits used the 426 Hemi in his Swamp Rat dragster in the 1960s and 1970s.

"The situation is that we have a true hemispherical chamber except for a few cubic centimeters of material added to each side of the chamber," says Robert Lee, Chrysler group's director of rear-wheel engine engineering. "And that's done to channel the flow and get the burn characteristic we wanted with the dual (spark) plugs. That's the only possible area that people could quibble about." "

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/hemi-or-semi-chrysler-groups-new-345-hp-57-liter-engine-powerful-just-same#ixzz4pBuScLQa

#30 adaptabl, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  11. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Giorgio platform was designed to be light weight from the start, hence why a 4cyl diesel Giulia is just 3029lbs, Charger will be more but nothing like how heavy they are now.

12. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

If the hemi or semi hemi is killed by emissions, can fca, will fca call the new v8 a hemi? I would want some feature to have something to do with hemispheres if it Carey's the name. Kind of a no fake hood scoops or fender vents thing I have.
    Also. If the new v8 is smaller physically, (maybe pentastar v8?) to fit a smaller engine bay, and the current hemi still viable and update able, we won't see the new designs for some time. Will trucks move to inline 6? Will there be much of a reason to even have a v8 at all unless it is ( all new-co developed) from Ferrari? My guess is the 'mercun v8 is gone. Long live Italian micro v8s. Not a bad thing. 8-9k redline flat plane crank? They do sound awesome.

ScramFan likes this.
  13. MoparMantis

MoparMantis Well-Known Member

So there might be 1 v8 in the future that may (or may not) be a Hemi, and it seems like it'll be less than 6 liters.
    I wonder what kind of variety there would be if that's the case. Like the v10 of old and the pickup v10, or the srt 6.4 and pickup 6.4. Then options like supercharging or turbocharging some. Something like a standard 5.9 that goes to all vehicles, a srt version, and supercharged srt version. Maybe a beefier version for the HD pickups. The pickups, especially the HD's and chassis cabs, will have to have something with some grunt. I see a lot of HD's running around with the Hemi instead of the Cummins.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

14. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

The idea of a Pentastar based V8 has been dead for many many years.

Mike

freshforged and James A like this.
  15. redhed

Level III Supporter

i'd like to see a straight eight based on the new inline 6!! :p

16. Ramburger

Ramburger Active Member

Why not revive the Magnum nameplate for a future V8? I think a fully modern 5.2 (318) would be perfect, similar to how the 5.0 ford is. CGI or aluminum block, direct injection, port injection, and so forth.

17. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

2 hurricane motors at 90 degrees 4.0L

James A and ScramFan like this.
  18. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I predict that the new Chrysler V8 will leverage existing internal combustion technology combined with evolutionary, incremental, engineering improvements.

But saying that is like saying, "I predict the sun will rise tomorrow," and then claiming I can predict the future.

James A likes this.
  19. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

+1!

And I would see it in two flavors...a heavily turbocharged / supercharged one for the next Viper / whatever other name they choose, and a differently tuned version for a future 300 / Nassau / Imperial / New Yorker (pick one).

20. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Another good idea!