Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving into new Mopar V8s

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Please be realistic.

Mike

James A likes this.
  2. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Think the Hemi has width issues? A DOHC 90 degree V8 could be worse.

Mike

James A and AC TC like this.
  3. HWDan

Level III Supporter

I'd expect to see v8 hemi's in future top tier lines (ie SRT) as mild hybrids for performance, with bonus better economy and emissions reductions. Turbo's will just get you v8 mileage and emissions in anything but steady, lazy cruising. There's already in house tech doing just that. 400hp 5.7 (or smaller) plus 100hp hybrid assist?

4. redhed

Level III Supporter

well, first i'd have to be serious! :D

5. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

I'd like to see a return to carburetors on the low-volume performance cars like the Demon. Imagine the horror from the Hollywood elites!

6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

7. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

So it will be slower? Going backward in technology should be a no no.

Mike

freshforged and Dave Z like this.
  8. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

Well i agree i was wondering how compact a design you could get with the valve covers. Kind of like the PUG valve covers. At this point in this thread most people are throwing out ideas as it is. I do look forward to confirmed info on this engine though.

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Actually, the problem is the piston design with a domed piston, similar to the pentastar design, or the pent design, with a domed piston up the middle with the intake on one side and the exhaust on the other side. The hemispherical combustion chamber is the most efficient what with the whole dome area burning more completely than any quench area design, and it is because of the higher compression capability and HC production that is the issue, whereas the domed piston and preventing the purging of the cylinder properly (see 426 Hemi issues on smog control problems) so there are ways to work around this, especially given the pent/4 valve per cylinder heads, so don't rule the Hemi one intake and one exhaust head out quite yet.

10. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Been asking for a small non turbo for years, sounds like it will be made with unobtanium. Sorry but I'm not getting into the suggestion that a 4 banger will be better. Gonna stick with WHOEVER makes a reasonably priced V6.

Actually I would take electric over all of them for low end torque. Looks like a change in gas engines will drive a lot of people there.

#50 jerseyjoe, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  11. wolfsblood07

They still use carburetors in NASCAR from what I read, so they are still a thing. Actually I wouldn't mind going back on a few things.

12. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

That is not correct. NASCAR Monster Energy Cup uses Holley Mulipoint Fuel Injection components and a McLaren/FreeScale Semiconductor electronic management system.

The lower series will slowly be migrating to fuel injection.

Mike

James A, adaptabl and Max Wedge like this.
  13. jam1

jam1 Active Member

i.m.h.o., a "new" V-8 will need smaller cylinders, longer stroke and forced induction...... for several reasons.

14. wolfsblood07

Carburetors being phased out of stock car racing, that make me a little sad. But as long as the cars stay stick shift and not driverless I can't complain.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  15. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

That's what Ford did with their modular engine family. Didn't really end up working out that well. They ended up with extremely wide and tall V8s for a given displacement. They later had to resort to exotic liner technology(PTWA)- in order to get the bore-size large enough to support their displacement targets.

freshforged and Mike V. like this.
  16. redhed

Level III Supporter

plus, the 5.4l i had in my old f150 was a DOG!

17. jam1

jam1 Active Member

Agreed, but we're dealing with fuel goal objectives. I'd RATHER have a Large bore short stroke or large bore long stroke high-winding V-8, but reality may dictate differently for a mass produced V-8 in the future...... UNLESS...... V-8 will be intended for a scant few high-end only vehicles....... then perhaps we may see..... ;)

18. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Only vehicle I ever owned that had a V8 was my 65 Impala.
    I'm commented that I kind of like the little turbo 4 in my company car, 2013 Sonic.
    For the last week I've been driving a company pickup since the air conditioner was out on the Sonic.
    It's just a plain jane Silverado with 228,000 miles on it but I had forgotten how the power is always there, right now, with a V8.

19. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

NASCAR stopped using carbs in the premier series (Sprint Cup at the time) before I stopped watching, at least 2-3 years ago I think. And the manuals only matter on the 2 road courses they go on. Any other time the only shifting is when they're getting up to speed, or sometimes at Pocono.

I was shocked it took NASCAR that long to use FI. Some road cars stopped using it in the 60s, it gained way more traction in the 80s, and by the early or mid 90s I don't think you could buy a car with carbs. Even the Metro had FI, if memory serves. But that all goes into one of the reasons NASCAR is struggling, the cars in the series have nothing in common with their street bretheren, and it's one of the major reasons I just gave up on it (The whole "Car of Tomorrow" started me losing interest drastically).

If Mopar keeps a V8 I suspect they will keep it cam-in-block. No OHC/DOHC needed. They have shown what you can do with a cam-in-block V8 and still be successful. Over 800HP from a production V8 is insanity. Did anyone in the "Glory days of the muscle car" ever think anything would ever top the 426 and 440 engines? With less displacement, better economy, better drive-ability, better reliability, etc... TFL took their Hellcat from Boulder to LA and back, and including LA and SF traffic, they still got something like 24MPG (in "Only" 500HP mode, but still). Can you imagine what a 426 would have done on that trip?

GM still has a cam-in-block V8 and I don't think they plan to go to OHC/DOHC on any future "Son of L" they may create. Ford is the only one of the "Big 3" that went to an OHC design, and the Modular engine series isn't bad by any means, but is physically bigger than the Hemi engines. By quite a bit. Therefore it wouldn't fit in the L-cars, maybe not even the Jeep and Durango.
    5.0L DOHC
    28" Length
    26" Height
    27.5" Wide
    (Sauce)

Gen III Hemi
    24.5" Length
    27.5" Wide
    (Sauce, didn't list height, it is likely an inch or two less than the Ford)

wolfsblood07 and ScramFan like this.
  20. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

GM has an LT5 in the works thats suppose to have DOHC.