Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diving into new Mopar V8s

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Aug 7, 2017.

1. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Length isnt the issue with the LX/LD sedans. It's the safety equipment, and all the fancy standard power features that used to be optional. All the way through 1989, the base M-Body Diplomat and Fury had the following options: A/C, P/W, P/L, power seats, and cruise. Although the were equipped with a driver side airbag from April of '88, the base M-body - which is about the same size as the later Intrepid and Charger - would weigh in around 3700 lbs full of oil and fuel.

The complaints from the police departments about today's Charger are actually the opposite: They want *more* trunk room, and a wider opening for the rear seat. They aren't making any noise about it being too big or heavy.

2. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Length and width would affect weight, but not as much as other things. With the reportedly lower, sleeker roofline on the next gen model, I doubt police departments will be happy.

AHBGuru likes this.
  3. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

1990 was the first year without RWD/V8/Torsion Bars.
    The M-Body was discontinued midway through '89.

Side note - The TBI system used in the '88 318-LA trucks came directly from a cancelled design for the '86 Diplomat/Fury. '89 D350/W350 could be ordered with the M4ME QJet, although it did get the hydraulic rollers and the 308 heads. I put one of those into an '86 Fury with a beefed A999. I learned quickly why Ehrenberg promotes using the 5.9 Magnum with the SMFI. That thing was insanely quick. Never shoulda sold it ...

4. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

I think you're 100% spot on.

5. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

No, definitely not. As a matter of fact, the solution for the low roofline has existed from day 1 - use the 300 C-pillar for the squads. Not sure what's going to happen with that. The other side of that coin? The new Fusion Interceptor is much worse that way than either the Charger or the Taurus that it's replacing.
    The 92-96 B body Caprice also had a pretty tight rear door opening, especially at the bottom.

We'll see what they come up with ...

6. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It might be better to just make the 300 the police car in the next generation. I don't even think switching out the C pillar is possible...

jerseyjoe likes this.
  7. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Back in the early 70s the NJ state troopers had New Yorkres that made my Super Bee look a bit slower to me, as he demonstrated passing my car from a dead stop!

DarkSky likes this.
  8. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

1979 Oklahoma Highway Patrol unit was the Chrysler Newport. Newport was replaced with Plymouth Gran Fury in 1980.

DarkSky likes this.