Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Atlantis

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Terrymc1, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Can somebody check to see if FCA has patented the name “Atlantis” (or similar, Atlantic, AtlanticA, etc.)? That may answer a lot of our questions.

Atlantis is a Chrysler name all the way.

2. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Atlantis. A sunken city. Not exactly the best name for a car in a brand that you don't want to see as defunct. Lol.

Morty, Deckard_Cain, Doug D and 3 others like this.
  3. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Atlantis is NOT trademarked, but Atlantic IS and was done fairly recently this year.

4. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Very much a work in progress as evidenced by the 2D-looking wheels, strange paint, and unfinished details. But it's my large Chrysler SUV project, which I assume is what the Atlantic name will be applied to.
    [​IMG]

#64 DarkSky, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  5. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Thanks.

6. wtxiceman

Level III Supporter

Hey I'm liking that. I really need something to get my wife away from this Yukon.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. Fastscat

Fastscat Member

This was the biggest mistake IMO that FCA made was changing the name. The original Pacifica was a failure from the get go because of marketing mistakes. Changing the name from the Town and Country was a game changer especially to allot of loyal buyers and the employees. Imagine changing the name of the Corvette to Stinger but still looks something like a corvette. Your a Corvette loyalist. Would you buy the New Stinger? The price tag alone scares the so called van buyers away. It's still a van no matter how you look at it. The existing caravan still out sells the Pacifica. Allot of it is because of the price and the still loyal customers. Talk to anyone in the plant and most will tell u that changing the name was a mistake. I will say one thing. It is is the best built mini van to date. It drives and rides like a dream. Be it in TOWN or cross COUNTRY

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. TripleT

Level III Supporter

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS shaw ..... Chyrsler Minivan..... Town and Country tests horrible with the target demographic. Wood trim was all that kept coming up. The vehicle deserved a better name. Suddenly here they are everywhere, the biggest thing was that they are no longer giving them away and dumping them on rental companies not that its called Pacifica.

eastcoaster, djsamuel, danbek and 6 others like this.
  9. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS nonsense. The T&C minivan hadn't been available with wood trim for 22 years, and very few of them had it near the end of its availability. Millennials can't remember knobs on TV sets, let alone 20 y/o minivan trim packages. If anything, it would have been a nice tie-in to introduce some premium real-wood and chromed metal trim on the interior, as the originals also featured. Lack of continuity denotes failure. All the domestics are guilty here. 22-y/o marketing "experts" who ran the college bookstore make these decisions.

While I don't think it holds sales back to swap the name, it is just another rust-pit on the brand's image, because it isn't helping either. (But it will do a nice job confusing people who'd like to order accessories like floor-liners.... "Is your Pacifica the one with the bad engine cradle or the one with sliding doors ma'am?) Regarding Pacifica sales success and not being sold heavily into fleets.... I should hope so, it replaced a 10-year old model designed during the company's darkest Daimler days!

When the dust settles, Atlantic is an excellent name for a Chrysler SUV.

somber, UN4GTBL, valiant67 and 2 others like this.
  10. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

.Oh no. I just realized I was commenting on a thread that started because of a John McElroy rumor. Talk about wasted bandwidth!

11. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes
    Level III Supporter

[​IMG]\
    The 2020 Dodge Grand Caravan--with the premium UN4GTBL package. I like it. Hope you get your cut.

UN4GTBL and wtxiceman like this.
  12. TripleT

Level III Supporter

NOPE ..... all name changes are market tested and TOWN and COUNTRY ...... TESTED HORRIBLY with the target demographics. It was not left to a 22 y/o marketing expert from a books store. By far the easiest thing to do would have been to retain the old name on a declining market segment. I would very much agree that the last product was not a worthy successor to a fine line of products, but all our personal opinions aside T&C was loser marque, it did not have value or equity moving forward assumed here. It had to much baggage, and yes fake wood was one of them interesting enough. What was forgotten was the last Pacifica.

eastcoaster, ScramFan and page2171 like this.
  13. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I can't imagine Voyager testing worse than Pacifica.

UN4GTBL and cygnus like this.
  14. TripleT

Level III Supporter

I don't know, I just read a article where they were talking about market test results and despite the warm fuzzys here, the name T&C did poorly. All sorts of negative imagery was associated to the name. I image Voyager didn't have a strong showing either. The nautical themes must test well. .............. but we are way far afield at this point form the subject matter. But really just a poorly sourced rumored article that is mixing up several pending products and segments for sure the replacement for the Dodge will be a Chrysler... the Dodge will be a entirely new product. I suppose that is confusing, but not so much.

DAGAR and ScramFan like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Test clinics are only as good as the sample selected and the methodology.
    I would not be the least bit surprised if the survey was slanted to get the desired results.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  16. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Test clinics gave us the Edsel, Aztek and other failures.

You are 100% right that "data" can be manipulated and adjusted to serve the "yes-men" who want to present a particular picture.

Oh, those test clinics also said PT Cruiser would sell to youth in large numbers.

17. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Doesn't look smell or act like a Town and Country, so it's not a Town and Country. This is one time I agree with the need for the name change and around here I see T&C, Odyssey, and Sienna being replaced with Pacifica at a good clip.

18. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

I'll agree with TripleT on the T&C name testing poorly - the issue here is people thought they tested the name against millenials, and we all know 25yr olds aren't out buying vans, let alone getting married and having families. If it was tested, it would have been to early 80's born gen x'ers that actually are having familes now - and they did grow up with Caravans and Town & Countrys and remember them fondly.

UN4GTBL, codypet and TripleT like this.
  19. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

Basically. Last decade's focus group brilliant idea is this year's changing MKC to Nautilus.

You want to see a manipulated study? Click this piece of garbage I saw today and pay attention to the demos and brand names given...

Your car could be revealing who you voted for (at http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/tunedin/your-car-could-be-revealing-who-you-voted-for/vi-BBFYMH4 )

Volkswagen and Aston Martin lumped together, as were Chrysler and OLDSMOBILE!

20. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

Millennial Americans Are Moving to the 'Burbs, Buying Big SUVs (at https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-22/millennial-americans-are-moving-to-the-burbs-buying-big-suvs )

More millennials are expected to move up into bigger SUVs with three rows of seats and enough cargo space for strollers and portable cribs. Sales of midsize SUVs will grow by 16 percent between now and 2022, while deliveries of the biggest rigs -- think Ford Expeditions and Chevrolet Tahoes -- will jump 25 percent, according to a forecast by researcher LMC Automotive.

...although I could give you other studies that say the opposite as well.

Figures don't lie, but liars figure. Anyone with modest intelligence can construct a focus group to say anything they want. I've been part of several and I'm on the call sheet for MORPace. Thank me for Dominos not offering Mexican food (it was awful).

UN4GTBL and valiant67 like this.