Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Atlantis

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Terrymc1, Nov 14, 2017.

1. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Read the article - 18-34 is who they drilled down on. I am saying the tests here (for both T&C name and the ones buying SUV's and homes) are heavily testing that 30+ age group that does remember the Town and Country - not the 20-somethings which the majority of still live at home.

2. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I'm early 80's but apparently fall into the Millenial category. I grew up with a Voyager and Grand Voyager and remember them so fondly I still have one of them. Most everyone else I know including my wife have more of an issue with a minivan than the name. My wife is excited over the Subaru Ascent and I don't know why. I feel like an AWD would be much better suited if we needed that many seats.

3. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I'm about 10 years older, and thanks to my father-in-law owning almost every generation of Mopar minivans, I've had the privilege of getting driving time with all of them (I covered the only generation he didn't own with my 2002 DGC). Because I knew the history of his vehicles, I felt perfectly comfortable buying my 2002 DGC and when that got up in miles I replaced it with a 2012. However, a lot of people I know have parents that owned one of the vans with the problematic 4 speed autos, and despite the fact that those transmissions were upgraded over the years and haven't been used for years, the image that sticks in their mind, whether it is a Grand Caravan, Town & Country, or Pacifica, is garbage transmission. So, when they needed a larger vehicle, they went with an SUV or large crossover.

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I still hear about the smoking minivans (3.0) with bad transmissions (A604) from 15-20 years ago. People still avoid Chrysler because they go burnt on them way back when. I know long term Chrysler owners who left after decades of loyalty because they got an early K car and the head gaskets failed, often multiple times. It is sad, but it takes something big to win people like these back.

DAGAR likes this.
  5. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

X'ers (35-50) are done with young kids for the most part. Who tests a future vehicle with people who won't have a need for it during most of its lifecycle. 18-34 are millennials. I assume you mean they are testing a sub-set of those millennials (22-30?, 21-25?)

And nothing really gets around the main point... There was nothing wrong with the name. Someone decided they would "add value" by making a case to change the name, and it's not rocket science to do that.

1. Look at the vehicle below. On a scale of 1-10, one being "no" does this represent the image you're looking for in a vehicle?
    [​IMG]

"Look team, we surveyed 100 people and the average score for that question was .021! Some people even wrote 'hell no' on the Scantron."

But the holistic effect in most consumers minds will be "Chrysler had to change the name of another vehicle to shake off a bed rep".

And by that time, the marketing whiz is designing a new Arby's logo.

somber, UN4GTBL and valiant67 like this.
  6. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

you're getting better at lighting and coloring.. good work so far.

UN4GTBL and DarkSky like this.
  7. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Thanks!

At some point I’d like to be able to start from scratch and make it look realistic instead of having to start from another vehicle, in this case a Tahoe.

suzq044 likes this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Isn't that the truth. A previous company I worked for changed its 20 year old logo then a few years later changed their even older marketing color scheme to ones that represented "strength" and "stability".
    Within 6 months after each debut, the marketing person hired to manage the branding left for another job. Money was wasted rebranding that could have been developing products. It did not end well for that company.

9. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

How often does the train go by?
    So often you don't even notice it.

And as long as we're rebranding things for hip, urban 25 y/o's, we should probably dump all the pony car names, "suburban" (how uncool!), and every model of Toyota and Honda associated with mom-jeans and elbow patch sweaters.

10. Lee N. Burns

Level 2 Supporter

I would have guessed you worked at a bank until you said "developing products". Unless that meant new home equity "products" etc.

I would like to be the guy who gets the job redecorating banks after takeovers and mergers. That person stays busy.

valiant67 likes this.
  11. suzq044

I know the feeling; after many years of doing it though, it's still easier to find a good base model to work from. I'm waiting for the DT to debut in a few weeks so I can do a Wagoneer & what I'm still going to call an Aspen. lol (it sounds better to me than Atlantic)

wtxiceman and DarkSky like this.
  12. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

As EVOL wrote the trademark is for "Atlantic" name.

FCA already had the rights for "Atlantic", dating back 1993, but for international classification code "28 toys, namely, model replicas of toy cars and related accessories sold as units".

FCA US LLC on 19 and 20 june 2017 made request for "Atlantic" in U.S.A. and Canada for what is international code "12 Motor vehicles, namely, passenger automobiles, their trim and badges sold exclusively by authorized dealerships".
    Actual status is "pending".

You can check in WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) trademark database.
    WIPO Global Brand Database (at http://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/ )

DarkSky and suzq044 like this.
  13. suzq044

[​IMG]

Same with the Power Wagon concept from about then, I'm sure.. I see little models of it in Kroger all the time.
    [​IMG]

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Funny, but that's not how it's done. Also, there are a lot of people 40 and above having children especially the second, third or more and those are the people who want minivans. If you've had 3+ kids by the time you're 30, you are probably looking for cheap transportation - kids are expensive!

Doug D and suzq044 like this.
  15. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Thanks again. That is veeeeeery interesting.

Dave? Oh Dave? @Dave Z

16. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

So... mirroring the Pacifica trim levels:

1. Atlantic L
    2. Atlantic L AWD
    3. Atlantic LX
    4. Atlantic LX AWD
    5. Atlantic Touring Plus
    6. Atlantic Touring Plus AWD
    7. Atlantic Touring L
    8. Atlantic Touring L AWD
    9. Atlantic Touring L Plus
    10. Atlantic Touring L Plus AWD
    11. Atlantic Limited
    12. Atlantic Limited AWD
    Or something like that. ;)

UN4GTBL and Cody's Car Conundrum like this.
  17. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yep. They certainly aren't cheap. By the time I was 35 we had 4 kids - two preteens and two under three. Now all but one have moved out. Back then we eventually bought a used '00 T&C Ltd - no way we could afford a new one - or even a new Grand Caravan.

18. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

With its recent trademarking it could also show up at one of the auto shows as a concept - they still do those once in awhile.

19. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Totally disagree, New age, New vehicle, New name.

DAGAR likes this.
  20. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Town and country could work for the upcoming Chrysler bof suv.

TripleT likes this.